Agnostic.com

5 7

LINK 14-Year-Old Mexican Girl Jailed for Escaping Arranged Wedding Ceremony

When the child bride realized what her family had signed her up for, she tried to escape, but the local authorities apprehended her and locked her up.

snytiger6 9 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Atrocious

My initial thought was the parents should be jailed then I read the story and realized they were starving.

Selling off daughters, no matter what age, is done round the world. Just not legally in some countries.

Can you give me your Mom's phone # to see if you're available?

@Barnie2years The bible actually condones the selling of daughters. After all, according the bible wives and children are the man's property.

Minimum age with parental consent is 12 years old for a girl in.....surprise, MASSACHUSETTS. No minimum age in, surprise....CALIFORNIA

I am shocked in Oklahoma you have to be at least 16 to marry with parental consent and 18 without and we're not exactly a progressive state.

@Lorajay I was shocked that they haven't changed the law which I learned about decades ago. It is still in place.

@Lorajay The minimum age in California is 18, unless you have parental permission and also consent to marry. I suspect it would be similar in Massachusetts.

Even so, I think age of consent to marry shoudl be universally 18 for everyone no matter where they live, even if the parents consent.

The laws are a hold over from when pregnancy outside of marriage had a majorly strong stigma, and it was thought that marriage was the solution to a pregnancy, even if it had been caused by a rape.

@snytiger6 You are correct. Massachusetts must have changed the law since the site I went to. & Ca. is unrestricted at 18. Things are always changing. Iam trying to keep up.

Sadly it is a nation of heavy Catholic governance so the parents have this right. Not terribly uncommon idea to control children and promote local wealth/power. Jews also have such preference but wield it quietly.

Something one would expect in a Middle Eastern country. Sad!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:637766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.