Agnostic.com

8 11

If there's one thing this platform needs, it's more badly thought out, bad-faith arguments from Christian apologists.

Toonman 6 Dec 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The Atheist Experience on YouTube is where you need to go for that.

You get it here, too. Check out Word, who commented further down.

I agree we all often feel the need to 'vent our spleen' from time time and what better way do so than to ridicule the ridiculous.
Sp, please bring few more along, after we too deserve to be jolly in this, the season to be jolly do we not?

The half life of Christian apologists on this platform is about 24 hours. They seem to dislike having their public foolishness pointed out to them

Ain't that the truth!

You say they make bad-faith arguments and they are now apologizing for?

Word Level 8 Dec 12, 2021

An apologist is somebody who defends a specific philosophy or ideology.

I find it funny you know that "Logos" is Greek for knowledge, but don't know that "Apologia" is Greek for "to defend".

You are a Christian apologist. Or at least your comments make the case that you are.

If a cannibal were to crack your skull open, he wouldn't find enough grey matter to cover a saltine.

@Toonman no, I am no longer Christian. Yes, I was once. But, a cannibal cracking my head open is not about logical discussion on the original topic.

@Word

Good that you got out.

I went to Gnostic Christianity to see why some said that they were the only good Christians before and after the inquisitors murdered and burn it to the ground.

What do you label yourself now?

Regards
DL

@Word Your original topic contains no logic.

Do you have a learning disability?

I'm not asking to be mean. I'm seriously wondering.

If you do, then I'm not communicating with you in a way you'll understand and will need to change how I do so. If you do, then I'm not being fair.

I get the impression that you aren't mentally the same age as you are chronologically.

If I'm wrong, my apologies. If I'm right, my apologies.

@Toonman I have been evaluated by professional psychologists on several occasions. I have above average intelligence capabilities. I understand Dunning-Kruger effect. I understood Dunning-Kruger effect when I was a child before Dunning-Kruger Kruger made official scientific observations.

At that time it was call "know-it-all". So, I do not have intellegence capabilities problems. I do not claim to know such things as having every word in dictionary memorized, but I know where to look them up. So to say, I am fully aware of limitations.

@Toonman I have never had more than enough money to finish college degree in law and engineering physics, but my GPA has been 4.0 for the 60-70 college credit hours even in things like English and Literature which is my weakness because of poor eye sight. I graduated Salutatorian of police academy college certification course with 4.0 in 40 college credit hours. The reason I was not valedictorian was because they has better penmanship on a written assignment that got them the slightly better grade.

@Word

Forgive me, but it seems like you do.

I won't repeat the reasons I think so.

Many people of low intelligence are called know-it-alls. Knowing what the Dunning Kruger effect is doesn't exempt anybody from experiencing it. In fact, everybody experiences it, most in small degrees, but a few in ways that are much more profound.

I think your ability to reason is inhibited, and not simply by religion.

@Toonman I do know a thing or 2 from my own investigation and research. You giving sarcasm worship to your non-existent flying spaghetti monster sky God making fun of Christians that does not know Jesus is Angelic lord of host Lucifer the devil leading the Masonic lodge secret religion racist devil worshipper governmental terrorist European invadors really makes you look illogical

@Toonman religion ... pure and faultless is this: to help widows and orphans in need and avoiding worldly corruption. James 1:27

Why are you calling anything a religion if it has nothing to do with helping widows and orphans while avoiding worldly corruption? Christianity/is a theocracy not a religion.

@Toonman Dunning-Kruger (know-it-alk) is two side in understanding that highly intelligent people tend to "underestimate " their ability. Where as underintellegent people tend to over estimate their intelligence capabilities.

Yes, it could be true that a highly intelligent person could still make an over estimation.

@Word I would never know the things you claim to have achieved because none of them are evident in your arguments themselves, which are poor, especially coming from somebody who claims the level of education you do.

Forget about your lack of writing skill. Your ideas aren't any good, and your method for supporting them isn't any good, either.

I don't believe you were ever Salutatorian or denied Valedictorian based on something as trivial as penmanship, especially since classwork at the college level is typed and not handwritten.

Nothing you say in this regard seems plausible.

I do not believe you're no longer Christian, because your assertions illustrate otherwise.

If I'm wrong, and hell exists, you can go there for lying just as easily as anything else.

@Word

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a state of mind where you are so incompetent you don't know how incompetent you are, and can't see competence in people who are competent.

@Word Christianity is a religion. A Salutatorian would know this.

A theocracy is any government run along the principles of a religion. Theocracies can be Christian, but Christianity isn't a theocracy in and of itself.

Anybody claiming your level of education would know what an apologist and apologetics are, and would certainly be aware they were engaging in it.

@Toonman there is your other problem

I AM NOT ARGUING ANYTHING. You are the one making the argument in an illogical way. You are attacking me and calling it an argument. There is not arguing other than my discussion defense against your illogical attacks.

@Word somebody claiming your level of education would know that in this case "argument" would mean "position", "point of view", "assertion", or "perspective".

In that sense, you do have an argument.

@Toonman Studies find high achievers underestimate their talents, while underachievers overestimate theirs

[google.com]

@Word There is no way you're as educated as you claim to be. It is evident by virtue of everything you've posted here.

And if you attended any sort of police training, we are well and truly fucked.

@Toonman Christianity is a religion. A Salutatorian would know this.

Yes, I am fully aware it is called a religion. I understand evolution of meme organism

@Word You are overestimating your talents.

@Word You just wrote not two or three comments ago that Christianity is not a religion but a theocracy. Not my words. Yours.

Again, there is no way you are as educated as you say you are.

@Toonman I have made no claim of over estimating my grammar and syntax ability.

@Toonman potato, potato, tomato, tomato

@Toonman what are some themes observed in biblical text? The establishment of the government for the nation of Israel prior to 2000 years ago. The new testiment is purported in large part as eye witness testimony that the meme organism became Jesus in the flesh.

@Toonman you call documentation of a government being established combined with accounts that a meme organism evolved into a person. You call this "religious " , religion or religious text?

@Word No, but you don't need to. You are not as well educated as you want me to think you are.

Words mean things, and a theocracy and a religion are two different things.

The New Testament is not eyewitness testimony:

1. No writing outside the New Testament that is contemporary to the time Jesus was purported to have lived, not Roman, Jewish, Pagan or otherwise, mentions Jesus anywhere.

2. The Epistles do not mention any of the stories in the Gospels, even though they were written before the Gospels.

3. The first canonical Gospel, Mark, appears after the ministry of Paul and all of the Epistles, and about 40 years after Jesus supposedly died. The Gospels of Matthew, Luke and John are based upon the Gospel of Mark and appear much later.

4. None of the Gospels were written by the men to whom they are attributed. They were written after Jesus died by people who didn't know him.

These are not my opinions. They have been scholarly consensus for at least 200 years.

Your last comment makes no sense.

@Toonman all of you post above, your points 1-4 has no bearing on observations of the biblical text as it can be observed now for what the literature says.

@Toonman we could do a literature analysis of Harry Potter God. We do not have to analyze if it is truth or fiction to simply understand the theme, plot, motifs and other things within the literature.

You are try to void the text as if to not understand the themes, etc. Because you want to call the text fictional and not understand its plot.

@Word Every single point informs how the literature should be read from a historical/critical perspective.

I could discuss with you reading Scripture from a literary perspective, but why bother? You mistake the literary perspective from the devotional one, and don't seem to think words mean anything specific anyway.

@Word Your last comment makes no sense. Its like you're trying to use words you don't know the meanings of.

@Toonman incorrect, my entire point is that the text gives meaning that words(meme orphans) evolved to imitate human form.

So, my point is actually that words have a lot of meaning compared to your erroneous observation

@Word Words have specific meanings that depend on context, and you can't change them to suit your purposes.

@Word If you were Salutatorian at your college, was the college barber or clown?

@Greatest my name is Shannon, I really do exist.

@Word I never said you didn't.

I said you don't know what you're talking about and that you express your complete lack of understanding badly.

Have you been reading skado's posts again?

No. there's this asshole who calls himself Word.

@Toonman Those 2 members are bad enough but by far the worst of all is TheMiddleWay. Thank goodness for the blocking function.

@Toonman Oh yes. I find him entertainingly delusional.

@Paul4747 He claims to have been Salutatorian at his college.

It makes me wonder if the college was barber or clown.

@Toonman I think I blocked him. He pissed me off one day.

They come, stay a day or two and leave. Slippery little devils.

Unfortunately, the quality has reached a low point.

This is helping us rid ourselves of inferior ideologies.

When defence is impossible, death results.

Regards
DL

@Greatest Eat a jelly baby. It might help you to feel better.

Excellent

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 12, 2021
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:638831
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.