Agnostic.com

11 15

LINK Clergy fleeing their ministries due to fights with parishioners over politics: report

Anything that weakens the church is good news as far as I'm concerned.

"There has been an exodus of clergy who have left ministry in the past couple years because of a powerful combination of pandemic demands and political stress. Amid fights about masks and vaccine mandates, to how far religious leaders can go in expressing political views that might alienate some of their followers, to whether Zoom creates or stifles spiritual community, pastoral burnout has been high."

altschmerz 9 Dec 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

So let’s just hope they are not replaced with more radicalized versions…

Unlike the Babble Clergy cannot be all things to all people
Damned if they do, damned if they don't

Just think if they had refused to use their pulpits for political claptrap.....

Wull sure they wood if'n they was fag commie demonocrats.
Doonald Trruump fer pope Y'all!!!!

If you can't stand the heat get out of the kitchen. When they finally have to actually deal with moral issues and conflict with their dogma they bail. Shows how strongly they believe what they preach.

Yup, good news 4 sure..

Good news to hear and read.

The Churches made a pact with the anti-christ-wannabe (Trump) and the GQP. It's pretty hard to spew hate and claim piety at the same time. Lets just do what we can to keep them from dragging the rest of us down with them.

Maybe it’ll die faster.

Here’s hoping!

There was a big report on third very subject in the Seattle Times this morning. Welcoming news. Maybe some of them will be joining the "Clergy Project." [clergyproject.org] There's a popular series on PBS titled "Grantchester" (named after the town around Cambridge University). It's about a young Anglican priest who finds he has an uncanny ability to see clues and help the local police dept. solve murders. As time goes on more and more he sees his inability to offer help to his parishioners and "Gog's' mysterious ways are not good. Eventually he leaves only to be replace by another who goes through the same process. I love this series and am watching it for the 2nd. time.

I too love it. So much hypocrisy from the higher echelons there.

Thanks for the summing up of it. I avoided it as I do the one about the catholic priest solving crimes as I thought it would be about how their religion helped them solve crimes. Maybe I will give Grantchester a go.

@Budgie If you're thinking about Father Brown, I also avoided that one but it wasn't bad. Not a lot of religious BS, just a fat, funny priest.

Religion and politics are a bad combination

bobwjr Level 10 Dec 26, 2021

Religion is bad by itself.

My Lutheran minister father left over the Viet Nam war. What now? It’s hard to fundraise in the modern times with the internet debunking the scam?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:641561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.