Agnostic.com

3 2

The movie "Don't Look Up" impressed me, sort puts things in perspective if you take it at face value. My understanding is there are failsafes in place by the scientific community in terms of validating and communicating such an event.

Kempster45 5 Jan 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Fail-safes like vetting presidential candidates?

LOL No I think more like the system of sharing information in the scientific community.

@Kempster45 I managed a study testing the emissions of natural gas-powered buses for the Air District and many other stakeholders. We found that they were MORE polluting that conventional diesel buses in that they emitted nine times as many particles. The particles were much smaller than those in the black smokey diesel. The latter generates particles that drop out fairly readily, but the natural gas generated particles stay aloft, are inhaled more deeply, can pass into the bloodstream and through the blood-brain barrier. As natural gas vehicles were already the path forward, the findings were buried. So much for science...

The scientific community has been warning about the coming disasters of global warming for decades and yet there are still tens of millions of people that don't even believe it exists...

Absolutely, I think you just summed up the whole premiss of the film.

@Kempster45 Not really a fail-safe if it failed though, right?

@JeffMurray Yeah it failed in the movie .... in a frightening way that just makes one want to slap a politician. Real World, and I sincerely hope it's true, those fail-safes exist. This movie reminds me a little of Doctor Strangelove, remember that movie, think I'll have to rewatch it.

@Kempster45 No, I was talking about real world. Look back. I said global warming, not asteroid. But any fail-safe that may have been / should have been in place to prevent the citizens from ignoring the warnings about global warming have obviously failed.

It's a movie not a documentary. Don't believe movies. & question everything else. Corroborate!

Have you checked it out? If not you're gonna like it.

@Kempster45 Haven't seen it yet, but I like the topic. Streep always picks interesting subject matter.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:642588
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.