Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK Can any animal learn to speak with buttons like Bunny the "talking" dog does? | Salon.com

A story I came across this morning.
I personally doubt that most(any?) animals can think abstractly to form communication more complex than 'Polly wants a cracker'.

But if the test is simply to express desire or recognition. I think anyone who's ever owned a dog wouldn't doubt they can express themselves. It's just that they generally are more aware of actions, emotions and tone than individual words. Ha, ha.🙂

I imagine that the trick is to find ways that code 'thoughts' to fit into their worldviews. We've never had a dog that didn't understand a guttural 'uh-uh-uh' the first try.

For years I wondered why parrots liked hot peppers so much until I realized it was their sense of taste. Peppers are a treat they can actually taste.

RichCC 8 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was blown-away by this video in 2011 :

. . . longer version :

[pbs.org]

We used to have one exceptionally smart dog that shocked my wife's brother one time. He was visiting and I told the dog to pick up her toy (it was on the front room floor) so the dog did and just stood there -- now what? So my wife told her 'Take it to your bed' so she did -- she took the toy in the other room and put it on her bed.

My brother-in-law just stood there -- 'Your dog speaks English.'
'Yep. Amazingly well.'🙂Ha, ha.

Zster Level 8 Jan 15, 2022

apes, horses, pigs are bright, no doubt dolphins, orcas, elephants.....we arent near as unique, nor as smart as we (humans) like to believe.

"bright" -- true
. . . let me know when they write poetry, or build rockets to moon/planets. 🙂

@FearlessFly it's true, they do tend to not waste thier time and resourses with unnecessary activities so much.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:645332
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.