Agnostic.com

9 26

I've evolved from being religious to being agnostic/atheist...and no...I'm not leaning towards Buddhism. But I read this about a Buddhist and had to share; Thanks to Kenny B. in Tampa who shared this on FB.

Robecology 9 Jan 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Buddhism is not a religion it’s a philosophy. Taoism is the same. I understand moving from religion to agnostic but I like at Buddhism and Taoism as promoting wisdom without trying to Ram god down your throat

"OUR LIFE...IS OUR UNIVERSE"...that is MOST PROFOUND...💥

If there’s one thing we can learn from the recent persecution of the Rohingya at the hands of Buddhist monks, it’s that even Buddhism could not prevent the mass killing of tens of thousands of people for simply being ethnically and religiously different. The Buddhist monks in Myanmar are basically fascists in robes.

@TheMiddleWay False flag? Hah, sounds like Tucker Carlson’s description of January 6!

If every religion was 100% bad, they would have ceased to exist centuries ago. They all have some good teachings.

I approach religion like eating a crab. You have to fight to get every little bit of sweet meat, then just toss all the shit around it

Sometimes, the smallest acts of kindness reach far deeper than any spoken words.

Thank you for such a beautiful and helpful posting!!

I learned that, to be accurate, Buddhism is actually a religion. It recognize gods, has scriptures, prayers, and many rituals. However, Zen Buddhism, from my understanding is essentially Buddhism without the religion. Accordingly, I have been a Zen Buddhist for about 60 years. There's no belief system, and the only "ritual," as such, is meditation. And by definition, Zen meditation is simply being fully awake but without thought.

‘Fully awake without thought” sounds a bit like congress…

@Canndue Oh if ONLY they were awake. Many of them aren't. They plod along like zombies doing the bidding of their benefactors.

@mischl Pretty good gig if you can hang up your integrity…

@TheMiddleWay Then why have a clergy (monks), temples, monasteries and rituals?

@Canndue no...Congress is in a daze with delusions of Grandeur.

@TheMiddleWay If you don’t wish to accept the word of the dictionary or encyclopedia, how about Buddhists?

“To the approximately 300 million practitioners worldwide, Buddhism is considered their religion. Like all major religions Buddhism contains an explantion of the origin of existence, a morality, and a specific set of rituals and behaviors. However, as generally Buddhists do not ascribe to the belief in a sentient, all-pervasive Creator, some claim that Buddhism fails to be a religion. However, this reflects both an extremely narrow definition of religion and fails to consider what Buddhists would regard as the "nature of god," which is extremely close to the description of God offered by many of the earlier "Fathers" of Christianity. Nevertheless, like the other major religions, Buddhism presents a transformational goal, a desire to improve one's situation, and a distinct moral code.“
Drepung Loseling Monastery, Inc.
Center for Tibetan Buddhist Studies, Practice & Culture

I agree with the philosophy that my actions can makes the world a better place. Small actions may not change much, but they still have an effect.

It is kind of like the story where a man walking on the seashore sees what seems to be hundreds of thousand of starfish washed up on the sand, and as he walks down the beach he comes across of man who picks up a starfish and throws it back into the ocean. The first asks the second one, "You do realize that what you are doing won't make any difference." The second man reaches down picks up another starfish and throws it back into the sea and looking at the first man replies, "It made a difference to that one."

Little actions may not seem like much, but often they are appreciated. I've done beach and trail clean ups with different groups. It might just be the Pacific Northwest, but more than half the people the group encountered during the cleanups said "Thank you" as they walked by us. And, at least once at every cleanup a person asks about how they could join up on future cleanups.

Indeed. Years ago I posted a hand made sign at a county forest preserve. I wrote "Pick up one piece of litter". The result was a trash can was placed, & much less litter such as cigarette butts, gum wrappers, & plastic bottles. Tiny efforts can improve things on a grand scale. Good on you, sir.

Some Buddhists are atheists or pantheists anyway which is practically the same thing.

And so are some Christians I’ve met who believe that Jesus Christ was not divine, but an enlightened philosopher who, like the Buddha, provided a path to a ‘higher reality.’ I don’t subscribe to either.

True. But Buddha himself refused to comment on deities or the afterlife.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:645341
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.