Agnostic.com

11 13

LINK Ex-Miss America Contestant’s Husband Shot Dead in Front of Toddler While ‘Evangelizing’

A competitive bodybuilder married to a one-time Miss America contestant was gunned down in front of the couple’s toddler while proselytizing, according to authorities and a close friend of the victim.

Thomas Hand Jr., the 37-year-old husband of former Miss Mississippi Christine Kozlowski Hand, 33, was “shot to death…in the presence of the victim’s two year old child,” states a criminal affidavit obtained by The Daily Beast. The shooting occurred Saturday afternoon on a street in Montgomery, Alabama, and Hand was pronounced dead at the scene at 4:37 p.m. by a doctor from Jackson Hospital, it states.

Jerimiah Walker, 17, was arrested and charged with capital murder in the presence of a child under the age of 14, according to the filing, which says the incident occurred just steps from Walker’s home. Walker is being held without bond at the Montgomery County jail. Police have not publicly revealed a possible motive for the crime.

(I am willing to bet the motive had something to do with the proselytizing. I can certainly understand the desire...)

snytiger6 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

These things, despicable as they are, will continue happening, not only because it happened in Alabama or the deep south but because we live in a violent country with way too easy access to guns.

This is a fuckin’ tragedy you can’t put into words.

Give him the Chinese water torture.

This is the chance one takes by going door-to-door to proselytize.
Shame the child had to witness it, but that's just as much the victim's fault as the gunman's.

Sadly and unfortunately that occurs in the U..S. it seems but thankfully Australia has Gun Laws and Guns Control hence out here the ONLY thing that MAY happen to Door to Door Jesus Freaks is that he have to dodge heaps of well aimed and most definitely intended Aussie style insults.
In truth the last ever Missionary to to be actually killed in Australia was a Catholic Priest doing his 'preaching tour' of a remote Aboriginal Community in Central Australia, 1904 and a 'stray boomerang' hit him and killed him.

Not sure what miss America or bodybuilder has to do with this story…

Probably just to make it sound like he was someone of importance.

Tragic that such things happen over imaginary beings etc .... Personally, since I can not stop the stupidity, I prefer to ignore it and find some humor in the general concept.

So hopefully you will forgive me as I post an old joke, as I prefer to think the event something like this;

====================================================
Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!" He said, "Nobody loves me." I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"

He said, "Yes." I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?" He said, "A Christian." I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me, too! What franchise?" He said, "Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?" He said, "Northern Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"

He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist." I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region." I said, "Me, too!"

Northern Conservative†Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?" He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912." I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

===================================================

Not the ending I expected.

I believe that was a Monty Python skit.

@MyTVC15 it was exactly the ending I expected lol

Thoughts & Prayers 😁

What nonsense! Stop victim blaming

And Americans so often shout that they DO NOT Need nor Want Gun Laws and Gun Reforms but still they go on killing each other almost like there is no tomorrow.

To these gun nuts guns are more important than peoples lives because “Freedom” 😢

I'm on the other end of the spectrum and believe the problem is people killing people, not so much the tools they use to do it. Free access to mental health care would be a much more effective idea IMHO.

@Normanbites Mental Health Care would be 1 small step in the right direction BUT the biggest and MOST Beneficial Step of them all would be, imo, for Americans to come to understand that " Not every Noise, Not every shadow, Not ever person is the Big Bad Bogeyman who is only interested in attacking and killing them, they NO longer need to carry guns around with them 24/7 IF they were to STOP interfering the Affairs of OTHER Nations and other Peoples JUST because THEY see themselves as the NEW Roman Empire bringing the American Way to the World."
As a Psychologist I have studied American World Involvement and this is my most solid Conclusion, i.e. 90+% of America's 'troubles" with so-called Terror Attacks' are the end RESULT of U.S. Interference where it is not and has NEVER been wanted nor requested in the first place.

@Triphid You covered a lot of ground there.

On the national level, I am in raging agreement. There is no need for the US to be the policeman of the world, in fact it is a very bad idea on many levels.

On the more local levels, i.e. within our nation, we have unfettered capitalism .... from my perspective this leads to imprisonment for profit, prosecution for profit, warfare for profit, and justice available only for those who can afford it. Until these problems are resolved, there are very real bogeymen against whom our final defense can only be an armed citizenry.

To disarm the populace before these matters of exploitation are resolved only invites, frankly slavery on a mass scale. The notion that our government is ready to be trusted is quickly dispelled by the historical facts of Japanese internment, the exploitation of the Tuskegee experiments, civil rights struggles and many others.... including the wholesale pillaging of the US workforce over the last 40 years.

I will agree with one of your notions but with great reservations about laws to be passed limiting access to weaponry to those who are unfit. My trepidation originates with who decides who is unfit, on what basis and what motives might those rule makers have? ... It could be too easy to declare everyone unfit.

@Normanbites Check out our Australian Gun Laws and Gun Regulations, THEY may NOT be perfect but they DO work.

@Triphid I'll do that. How about restraint of capitalism? Any inroads there?

@Normanbites Well since I am not an Anarchist, Fascist, Communist, etc, etc, then I shall leave that up to those who waqnt to bang their hands against a brick wall and achieve permanent Migraines for their efforts.

@Triphid Australian Gun Laws: unfettered government definition of what constitutes a "legitimate reason" to own a gun, self defense not being one of them. Gun registration so the law enforcement organizations know exactly who has a gun and who doesn't.

Yea, good luck with that. Hopefully every one in your government is a good guy. We haven't gotten there yet by any stretch of the imagination.

@Normanbites And DID you look up the Statistic regarding Mass Shootings in Australia and then COMPARE them to those same Statistics for the U.S. by any chance,?
I guess I can ANSWER that question for you anyway, and the answer would a very EMPATHIC No.

@Triphid Did you look up the difference between access to mental healthcare in the US vs Australia? I bet not, even though I brought it up AND it would apparently be related to YOUR profession. It isn't the guns jumping up, running round killing people.

@Normanbites Well as a Practising Psychologist and a Child and Youth Crisis Counsellor I do happen to try my darnedest to keep up with all the information in regards to such matters from around the Globe FYI.
What about you, are the Ostrich type or the Adventurous type?

@Triphid A non-conformist in general.

I think you should keep in mind that you and I are in very different environments. Here, funding endless war all over the planet is a priority. But we can't seem to find the funds to provide affordable education or healthcare to our citizens and we are up to our armpits in homeless mentally ill and outrageously wealthy CEO's.

You seem to think that availability to firearms is our greatest threat. I don't, I think it is something quite different ......

Weapon systems becoming available will be affordable only by the extremely wealthy and even having firearms would be small comfort. A reversion to days of warload lead feudal systems is not far from being realistic at this time .... we must do something to revise our socio-economic system and very soon!!!

@Normanbites 1) How can anyone forget that I live and enjoy living in relatively peace, violence free nation when you are stuck in a nation of war-mongering, Wannabe Emperors and Dictators,
2) the availability of firearms is NOT threat but the FREE and EASY access to them is the GREAT Threat imo, since GUNS on their OWN do NOT kill it IS the person/s FIRING them that does the KILLING is it not?,
3) I wish ALL Americans the very best of luck with changing the 200 + plus year old system of Greed, Hatred, Xenophobia, Racism,, Paranoia and Economic Screw ups, BUT sadly that will NOT happen UNLESS you have yet another Revolutionary Civil War imo, and no-one wants to see that happen.

@Triphid Great discussion!! And we even wound up in raging agreement all round.

I didn't even have to mention the US is not uniform in the distribution of domestic violence. In Australia as a whole I believe the murder rate is about 0.9 per 100,000 in my state the rate is about 1.2 per 100,000, so your bragging rights are a bit mooted here.

Louisiana and the Deep South is a different story, the aggravations I mentioned are even more pronounced there.

As Voltaire said: "The comfort of the Wealthy depends on an abundance of the poor."

@Normanbites The rate of Murders you mentioned were they listed as per METHOD of Killing, i.e. as in Shot, Stabbed, Bashed, etc, etc, and whether or not they associated with acts of Organised Crime or Terrorism, etc.
Btw, FYI AUSTRALIA is a Nation a COUNTRY made of 6, SIX, separates STATES and 2 Territories, those being New South Wales, Queensland, Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia, Western Australia and the Territories are the Northern Territory and the Australian Capital Territory.
The Australian Population stands at approx. 25, TWENTY FIVE, MILLION whereas the Population of the U.S.A. is at least QUADRUPLE and more than that of Australia, therefore to be 100% accurate you would be to apply a lot more mathematical calculation PLUS STATE you U.S. percentage on a NATIONAL basis rather than simply by the basis of the State in which you reside.
Btw, a 0.3 less deaths by killings is a far, far better thing than a 0.3% RISE as the difference between our NATIONAL Statistics and the Statistics of your SINGLE State amongst %0 States that make up the U.S.A.
IF you were to multiply your State Stats by the %0, the NUMBER of States in the U.S. I think the result may well open up your closed/squinted eyes.

@Triphid And again I think you underestimate the effect of hoards of untreated mentally ill folk we have. BTW the population of the US is now 331 million, yes we have more people, but I did report the MURDER (of all manner) rate in terms of per 100,000. the 0.3 per 100,000 can easily be accounted for by the lack of decent mental healthcare. But who cares about the manner or method? Dead is dead. Whether it is by gun, airplanes and box knives (9/11) or Fuel Oil and Fertilizer (OKC). I don't think banning one tool or another particularly inhibits a person who is determined to kill.

I compared the whole of Australia to only my state as I thought that would be more appropriate since the laws concerning firearms etc vary widely from state to state. ... if you wanted to compare more fairly, Australia is basically Sidney, Melbourne and everywhere else. So if you want to compare my state to your urban areas, that would be fine with me, but IMHO you've reduced it to a matter of picking nits. I am beginning to see this as a personal foible of yours.

It's too bad you want to resort to this level of quibbling and now insults, I guess. I'm done with you. I don't think you are particularly bright and you are obviously poor at math.... per 100,000 is not a "percentage".

@Normanbites I NEVER underestimate the demented that roam the U.S.
And, mayhap, you may WISH re-acquaint yourself the terminologies as per in usage by Statisticians.
FYI, it is spelt SYDNEY NOT Sidney.
And also FYI there IS a whole lot to Australia than you will ever know or realise.

@Redheadedgammy you mean "freedumb"

How horrible! He didn't deserve to die, and his child traumatized, his wife too.

No he didn’t deserve that. But where do these people get off showing a complete lack of consideration for others who belief differently. If folks insist on not respecting other peoples beliefs and boundaries, these things are going to happen….🤔

Whether he was 'evangelizing' or not. He was murdered. He had a pregnant wife, a two year old child and this sucks.

barjoe Level 9 Jan 27, 2022

Sad story. Hope the child won’t remember that day. 😢

Whether he out-and-out remembers, he will have been traumatized by the event. This often happens when little kids are traumatized and have no direct memory; they are still often affected later in life as the subconscious rattles the experience through them.

Sadly kids always remember even if they do not talk about it later in life it remains with them.

@Triphid I was thinking since the child was only 2 years old he/she might not remember, but you’re probably right. How incredibly sad.

@Redheadedgammy Well going on the children I have counselled over the years plus my 8 year old nephew as well, they do retain such memories.
In fact young Henry remembers in detail the death of his "Granny Meg" when he was 3 years old.
Oddly enough I still reta9in memories from when I was a pre-school child as well.

@Beowulfsfriend Heartbreaking. 😢

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:647561
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.