Agnostic.com

3 3

Well yesterday, in a township south of here, it was a day not for umbrellas but for life-jackets, zodiac boats, canoes and rafts.
A severe and heavy Thunderstorm yesterday dumped 80 millimeters (just over 3 inches in old money) on Wentworth just south of here and, according to Dept. of Meteorology, it ALL came from the remnants of the Tropical Cyclone that has been wandering through the middle of Australia for the last week.
Rail line to Perth in Western Australia are washed away in some sections in where the line crosses the Nullabor from Adelaide to Perth, repairs, WHEN crews can gain access that is, may take up to 12 to 14 days to complete, roads and rail to the Northern Territory from South Australia are cut by flooding, shops and supermarkets in the N.T. are seeing EMPTY shelves everywhere, supplies are now being road-freighted in via Queensland, some towns and smaller communities in the N.T. are completely isolated by flooding or roads that are now completely impassable to normal traffic and to cap off a bad situation and make it even WORSE, Covid is running rampant through the N.T. and the isolated Indigenous Communities as well.

Triphid 9 Jan 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tell me about it.
We had empty shelves before the floods this has made it worse.
I go to the shops each day to buy a few things as eveything now has limits.
Better go and get more chook food as well.

Sound bloody rough up your way, hopefully the essential, dunny roll, is not in short supply, wiping the "date" using acacia or gum leaves can very often be a messy job and leave unwanted stains on the fingers....LOL
Could be worse though, an old friend who lives up on the Tanami has to row a home-made raft to go to the "long-drop" because there are flood water about 3 feet deep around his house and there WAS a NORMALLY dry run-off wash away gully between the house and the dunny where now there is a lake.
So stay safe, try to stay happy and healthy and IF things get worse TRY to REMEMBER that you can ALWAYS learn to DRIP DRY after peeing...LOL.

@Triphid I am good I have a bunch of old cloth nappies that I used for injured animals (I do wildcare) so they can be used and washed out.

It is more fresh veggies that I am concerned about.

Speaking of which need to put in an order with the organic guy.

On another note my car now was water in the door sloshing around so I have to take it to the shop to find out how it is getting in and why it is not draining out.
And the roof has a small leak when it rains (so everyday) we have a friend who is a builder he is coming out this afternoon to have a look.
It has dripped on my parent's cabinet they bought for Mum's good drink ware so we now have to buy a new one as the top has deteriorated (the ubiquitous chipboard of the 80's)
Don't know how much the repairs are going to cost.

@Budgie Before replacing the top of the cabinet, measure and cut the replacement piece to size, then get some Marine varnish, a brand named Feast Watson is really good btw, and coat all sides of the piece well, let dry and then re-coat a second time, once dry you can then fit it into place and it will remain waterproof for at least 15 years IF NOT subjected to being used as boat.
If it was a boat hull, then it would need re-varnishing at least every 12-18 months.

Weather disasters all over the world right now, and not likely to get better the way it looks. Where I am in Pennsylvania has been pretty lucky, no major weather issues so far. Stay safe!

Sounds very much like what we had south of us in Nov. & are still trying to get things up & running.

Lots of photos here.

[dailyhive.com]

And video...

Bloody Nora that is bad, last time I ever saw something similar was when the BIG floods hit the Western N.S.W. region out here and we were required to to do air-drops of supplies to Homesteads and Communities using almost ever available light aircraft that we could get up into the air.

@Triphid Exactly. Air drops had to be done for the more remote farms/ranches, & as for the rest of the province, our food supplies had to be re-routed through Alberta, but our shelves are still pretty empty for many standard foods.

That whole flood area was our dairy, poultry, cattle, pigs, & produce. Now we have all the protesting truckers bitching about vaccine mandates to go across the Can/US border to transport our foods that we generally have supplied from there. Prices have sky-rocketed.

They have however done major repair work enough to get the roads open in some places, many areas with one lane traffic, but things are still slow to trickle in for many of us. We didn't even get mail delivery for a full week in Nov. because everything was stuck in Vancouver.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:647592
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.