Agnostic.com

1 3

LINK North Korea Hacked Him. So He Took Down Its Internet | WIRED

Just over a year ago, an independent hacker who goes by the handle P4x was himself hacked by North Korean spies. P4x was just one victim of a hacking campaign that targeted Western security researchers with the apparent aim of stealing their hacking tools and details about software vulnerabilities. He says he managed to prevent those hackers from swiping anything of value from him. But he nonetheless felt deeply unnerved by state-sponsored hackers targeting him personally—and by the lack of any visible response from the US government.

So after a year of letting his resentment simmer, P4x has taken matters into his own hands. “It felt like the right thing to do here. If they don’t see we have teeth, it’s just going to keep coming,” says the hacker. (P4x spoke to WIRED and shared screen recordings to verify his responsibility for the attacks but declined to use his real name for fear of prosecution or retaliation.) “I want them to understand that if you come at us, it means some of your infrastructure is going down for a while.”

snytiger6 9 Feb 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can see several problems with this. One, he's showing the North Koreans their vulnerabilities so they can improve their cyber defenses. Two, this is likely illegal. Three, I think North Korea is about the last country on the planet one would want to mess with. I also wonder if his story is even true. Interesting.

Future headline. "Toxin levels in hacker's car still too high, for safe investigation. Corroner said." LOL

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:648578
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.