Agnostic.com

8 2

What do you think about Reality Shows on Television? How do you think they impact our culture?

I admit in the past i watched some reality shows but i usually slowly fall off. I find myself hard to relate to them because they are not based in "Reality" of the average person. Its like asking the rich to identify with your average Joe or Jane.

twshield 8 Dec 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am sorry it exists. I might prefer to go to a church service

Never watched them, prefered documentaries, especially science related. But lately, I discovered ‘Southern Justice,’ Appalachian deputies dealing with ..my new neighbors… Riveting! Maybe it harkens back to my having attended college to become a cop, but it doesn't appear staged, just raw and real … often bringing me to tears ~

Varn Level 8 Dec 4, 2017

not reality TV but I liked the series Justified

some of it is great and some is just crap

It is a major contributor to the dumbing down of society,it requires no thinking whatsoever, it merely appeals to our basic voyeuristic tendencies. I don't see how anyone can even watch this worthless fluff.

contributor or display of the dumbing down of society?

I can't stand big brother or love island or any of that rubbish. I like seeing how other people live or the programmes that are more like documentaries. let's face it all programmes are partly made up. even animal documentaries.

@btroje , Good question. It maybe a little of both I think, it is certainly a symptom but like each flea on the back of an infected rat it has the ability to further the spread of the epidemic.

@LeighShelton , Telling a story whether in a documentary or fictional tail is the key difference between them and the mindless Reality TV. Telling a story is the act of creation of art something Reality TV will never be.

define reality tv

I donot watch reality shows. They have no substance. I think they are contributing to the "dumbingh down" and coarsening of our culture.

My guilty pleasure is watching reality dating/love shows like "are you the one", 90 day Fiance, and Alone (survival show-history channel). Some of them are competitions-like the old game shows which are all being revived these days. I tend to watch the more realistic ones too-Wicked Tuna, Deadliest Catch, Gold Rush-are they reality shows?

I can't stand them, they have little or nothing to do with reality and they're dumbing down young people who seem to love them.

It's sensationalistic garbage that feeds our collective sickness to want to observe other people's dysfunction, and the impact on society can be seen playing out in politics today.

Thanks. Now I don't need to type up a response. (;

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6496
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.