Agnostic.com

213 30

QUESTION What would you say to God if when you died you were faced with him?

This question was asked to Stephen Fry and I love his answer. So I ask you what would you say?

• Click description above to see Stephen Fry's answer*

To answer my own question I suppose I would be more logical and tell God it was his fault I did not believe in him because if he created me then he knows I would not blindly follow anything that reads like a fairytale or where there was no proof of existence.

DiablitaRoja 4 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

213 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't understand the question. I'll be dead.

This is pretend, Gareth. Pretend you meet this god person when you die. Now pretend you say something to this god person. What do you say?

@BlueWave I suppose I also have to pretend that I recognise this as 'God' and that he/she/it speaks English. I might say "how come I can talk without a mouth, face you without a face, and think without a brain?", but like being present at a mass shooting, I don't really think you can guess how you would behave until it happens. I might be relieved that I'm still 'alive' in some sense, or I might be worried that I hadn't kissed this guy's ass enough in the past.

@Gareth LOL! Loved your last sentence. 🙂

Exactly my first thought.

Seems apparent to me that a loving mother would never treat her children so mean. A man now will sometimes claim to love someone and still beat the shit out of them.

My god is the universe. You can’t give it a gender, and our knowledge is still so insignificant to have any understanding what it all means and if we even pertain to it.

Sup G, aye where’s the white women at? But no seriously are you omnipotent or not? If so, what you allowed to go on in my life and most everyone else’s was supremely fucked up. What do you have to say for yourself? You’re certainly not good, let alone made of love. If you do seem to embody love then your power must be severely limited and your message was poorly communicated to say the least huh? In which case I forgive you, I know us humans could fuck up a wet dream when left to our own interpretive devices. But if you claim to be the old school, in-control god of the Bible and fear of your assholery is a prerequisite to entering heaven, lets cut to the chase: I’m not interested. You’ve already done your worst to me and I’m still standing. Either send me to hell or point me to the nearest bale of weed cause I can’t look at your shame peddling, flesh torturing ass right now.

@SnatchHammer66 I would be fine with option A or C, although what I prefer is irrelevant. I believe we live in option A. The part where god would be at fault if he existed, is offering us option A with a plan B safety net of an interceding god, who loves his children and answers their prayers while allowing us to mess up just enough to learn a lesson here and there. That’s the sort of lying bullshit I’m calling god out on, and he could have no answer for failure other than impotence or malice. Also, if you’re omnipotent and omniscient, your creation and everything it does after the fact is also directly your fault. You knew it would happen and set it in motion.

Hey, there! Well, surprise me. Despite my nonbelief, I hope you think I did a good job being a good human in my life. I certainly tried.

vita Level 7 May 6, 2018

you need approval ?

Not really sure what else I might say to the deity I thought didn't exist.

Depends which god I suppose.

i don't think it depends in which god, just think of it all of them promise a paradise the wonder place, is this a game?

Pick one and give it a shot. Let's say, for shits and giggles, you meet the late J.C. -- or his dad. What do you say?

What if when you die, you meet all the versions of yourself that could have existed had you lived up to your highest potential of discernmental Interests. You are 'God'. You create your reality.

I say poppycock to "meeting" other selves and "you are god." But that's just me.

@BlueWave I know the hot button words that get everyone here twisted up in semantic pretzel. But aren't you a 'higher self' from who you were as child? And when you see children of a developing age, aren't you talking to a congruent version of your self aka a homosapien? Sharing knowledge is just that. But thanks for the option. That's why I'm hear. It helps to bring clarity to my point by seeing the intent versus interpretation.

Which one?

And why are you using a male pronoun?

Let me guess.

You also see him as "White" and "Gentile"

On edit - Fry's answer was excellent. I have answered very similar to that when some evangelic type keeps pushing the issue because they think they are going to cause me to have a "come to Jesus moment."

That type of answer will generally shut them down. .

C'moooooonnnnnnnn people..............focus. Okay -- say it's an Asian female god. 🙂

You die. What do you say to her?

I am Latina and an Atheist so my God would be Frida Kahlo if I could chose. But honestly when written I was not thinking about the pronoun it was more about the question itself. So the God of your choosing , race and gender of your choosing.

Define God

It's just a hypothetical. Use your imagination. What would you say?

@BlueWave Stephen is using the Christian God as the God Model, in particular the Christian God as dictated by the Church of England in which he was raised.
That does not match other Christian God Models, that is why there are so many sects, they disagree about either the nature of God, the definition of God, or the acts God would undertake.

I do not believe in any God, and frankly I spent long enough learning about these Models for God, while thinking one of them MUST be true, that when it dawned on me they all lacked real evidence, all relied on emotional and mental states of mind, and all shared the common trait of originating from human societies who could not make sesne of the reality they found themselves in, that I came to understand no one believes in the same God.

It's a Personal "Imagned" God.
Your own personal Jesus

Since then, thirty years or so ago, I do not "use my imagination", because then I am imagining with all my bias intact, and that won't agree with all the bias and ideas YOU have intact.
Your model of God and Mine will not match UNLESS we first agree upon WHAT that is, otherwise your just playing in the wake of a deepity.

So deep down you still keep the door open for this possibility....... I don't, there is nothing to speculate here

It's just a fun hypothetical. We all know there isn't. Jeez. Lighten up man.

@cvccosplay I sure will, np.... I was expecting a response from DiablitaRoja though ?

"Platypus? What the fuck was that?"

And why weren't the other animals as cool?!?"

And why weren't the other animals as cool?!?"

In my defense, I was skeptical and really high and severely unloved. Also, what's up with my being transgender? Did you like, make a mistake or something? It's ok, I forgive you I guess.

I don't think being skeptical is a bad thing at all.

@alxa it's not in general, but in the hypothetical situation prompted here, would prevent one from blindly believing in such a deity.

God- "BEHOLD, MORTAL! MY DIVINE PRESENCE!"
Me- "Who the fuck are you?"
God- "I AM THE LORD THINE GOD"
Me- "Bullshit. Where am I?"
God- "YOU STAND IN JUDGEMENT AT THE GATES OF HEAVEN"
Me, finally looking around- "Woah. Guess I was wrong. Probably gonna need a minute. Uh..."
God- "YOU HAVE LIVED A FAITHLESS LIFE. WHAT SAY YOU IN YOUR DEFENSE?"
Me- "I lived a good, sensible life. It's not my fault you couldn't be bothered to show any evidence whatsoever for your existence. Believing in you would have been crazy. And one possible definition of evil is insanity. You want me to be evil? You sure you're not Satan, and this isn't some kind of trick?"
God, looking annoyed- "SPEAK NOT AGAINST ME, FOR I AM GOOD"
Me, getting angry- "Bullshit! You toy with us, show no mercy, protect no one, do nothing! If allowing evil to thrive is what it means to you to be good, then I want none of it!"
God- "THEN I CAST YOU TO HELL, WHERE YOU SHALL SUFFER FOR ALL ETERNITY FOR YOUR DEFIANCE"
Me, falling through the clouds- "Fuuuuuuuuucccckkkkkk!"
Me, landing in hell- "I shoulda thought that through."
Satan, looking bored- "He's a dick. Has been for all of creation. Go down the hall, take your first right."
Me, looking relieved- "You mean you aren't going to torture me?"
Satan, chuckling- "Oh, we're still gonna torture you. For the first hundred years, we torture you with mindless beurocracy. Ha ha ha ha HA HAHAHAHA!"
Me- "...shit."

Just like supernatural where hell is literally just waiting in line for eternity

@LadyAlyxandrea I knew I wasn't the first to come up with something so evil!

What is this thing? It isn't a thing. Its not even about evidence or making sense. It doesn't even get that much of a response. To me its like saying what would you do if you met a fairy godmother, it ain't happening, there isn't one so there is absolutely no point. As for all the shite its all just random chance. A baby dies a horrible death or a complete gobshite wins the lottery. There is no rhyme or reason, just enjoy that we have each other and we have today.

Oh and by the way supreme being if you do exist, I don't want to go to heaven with a load of up-their-own-assholes, pompous creeps. Send me to hell where the real party is at.

@Amisja No doubt, my best friends would be there

Sigh................Glad for the thoughtful and humorous answers.

Not at all glad for the people who find it necessary to splice the f%ck out of questions. It's a hypothetical question y'all!

I don't believe in ANYTHING supernatural, AND I don't see the point in reminding everybody here of that as a response to so many PRETEND questions.

@NotConvinced That's exactly it! Some people so much of the time are constantly "on" -- practicing their wit, snark, sarcasm, debate skills, etc. Tuning their character.

The greatest trick of Satan was convinsing people he dosn't exist.

Why are you posting on an Atheist site?

@mickeyrom I thought I posted this where the question was about gods in movies.

Well I'll be damned.

This one made me laugh. 🙂

I would say "so your that bastard that's responsibile for all the crap that is going in this world"?

RonB Level 5 Apr 24, 2018

For me God is a Godess, the holy Mother of Nature. I would say when I should be infront of her that I'm sorry for the mistakes in my life, and that I love Her so much.

LMAO

Where's my two dollars?

Meeting "God!?" I won't hold my breath. Or for that other mythological fantasy, "Satan."

But, let's say you're playing "make believe." Could you come up with something for pretend?

Damn! This acid is GOOD!

Uh oh. LOL

Since the odds of this meeting taking place are 1 in 100's of thousands/ millions, I won't be spending any time writing or rehearsing a speech. I'll just wing it, IF I get there

twill Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

I think you overestimate the likelihood. More like 0 out of infinity.

your replacement has arrived.

Well played

I'd probably spit in it's eye and take a big swing at it, and commence to cussing it out for being such a piece of shit.
Then I'd be asking a lot of questions. Starting with "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

But since god isn't real, and when you're dead, that's it, it's all a moot point.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65104
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.