Agnostic.com

8 17

Humanists UK

In 2014, a young man in Greece made a joke on Facebook about a Greek Orthodox elder whose name, Paisos, sounded a lot like Pastitsios, a popular fried macaroni dish.
Can you guess what happened next? He was arrested for blasphemy and ended up getting a 10-month custodial sentence (suspended).
Now, thanks to the Humanist Union of Greece (HUG), the blasphemy law has since been abolished. But the attitude that religions should be above the law and above criticism has yet to yield.
That's why it's really shocking that two of our HUG colleagues today face prison sentences, too, after they were convicted of 'false accusations' after challenging antisemitic hate speech from a Greek Orthodox bishop.
You can read about it here: [bit.ly]

Ryo1 8 Feb 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The link doesn't say what the bishop actually said. So we cannot determine whether it really was anti-Semitic. Was it a criticism of Apartheid Israel's repression of Orthodox Christians in Israel/Palestine or was it really an anti-Semitic slur on Jewish people?

Many pro-Israel groups manipulatively label criticism of Israel as anti-Semitic to protect Israel's Apartheid character.

Point taken.

At his court appearance, Humanist Union of Greece, Mr. Panayote Dimitras, suffered defamation and death threats from a known fascist. The judge did nothing to the perpetrator of the court disturbance. Also, "a member of the extreme right wing party LAOS, sent a video showing the attack against Mr. Dimitras ... below the video, insults and death threats were posted." The MHRMI article is from 2008, fourteen years ago. I'd like to know what happened since the 2008 "attacks, threats and judicial prosecution against Mr. Panayote Dimitras, Ms. Andrea Gilbert and Messrs. Moses Konstantinis, Benjamin Albala, Abraham Reitan and Leon Gavriilidis -- whether they are still fighting prosecution after fourteen years. [mhrmi.org]

WTF, is the removal and eradication of a sense of humour MANDATORY for ALL Greek Peddlers of Religion or is it just a a Greek religious thing?

Hi there. I used to know a Greek teacher and she was one of the funniest people I've ever met.

@Ryo1 Tell me about it I have worked with many a Greek, both male and female and NEVER found their sense of humour to wanting, quite the opposite in fact.
I think it may well be a prerequisite for becoming when training to become God Mobster in Greek Christian Churches.

And there is certainly generalisation and stereotyping people get fooled by easily.

It should not be hard to prove or disprove a "false accusation." The trick is that it should involve some real evidence.

interesting thanks for posting. Copying to Jewish by Culture group.

kmaz Level 7 Feb 17, 2022

Religions are not logical, and believing in whatever god renders it's believers into sensitive weaklings who can't cope with anothers disbelief.

Editing to add that the fried macaroni looks delicious!

Reminds me of the story in the Torah of how Abraham sent two spies in to Sodom and Gomorrah in an attempt to find ten good men , so the Lord would spare the cities.
While in the City one of the spies was mugged and punched on the nose causing it to bleed. The Spies caught their assailant and took him before the magistrate demanding justice.
Instead the Judge ordered they pay the man who attacked them for his services as a healer, as he had performed a bleeding and improved their health.
At which the first spy punched the judge on the nose and told him to pay their assailant, before legging it.

Sounds like the stoning scene in Monty Python's Life Of Brian....."Blasphemy!.. He said the word Jehovah!!"........ Some people really lack a sense of humor....

Some religious saddos.

I love that scene!

@RhondaShotwell Esp. the way the patriarchs of the day don't allow women to participate in the stoning, so there are all these women wearing fake beards so they can have the privilege of stoning a man to death, lol!....

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:651163
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.