Agnostic.com

25 11

One word killed my interest. Has that happened to you?

Yesterday I walked fast for an hour with my friend Kathy. We were joined by her neighbor Sid. Fun conversation the whole way.

Sid seemed nice- perhaps someone I'd like to get to know- until he said "ain't." That killed my interest. He sounded like an uneducated farmer. My parents taught me "ain't" is poor grammar and low class.

"Where are you from, Sid?" I asked. A seventy-thousand-acre farm in The Dalles, Oregon.

I have always lived in a house filled with books. Growing up, we all played musical instruments. My parents were highly intelligent and funny. Education was important.

A Deal Breaker

Yesterday talked on the phone with a friend Don, a fellow Democrat.

"There are lots of beautiful women on Match dating site," he said. "I was excited about a woman who skis, and has horses and a yacht until I looked more closely at her profile. She's a Trump supporter! That's a deal breaker." He groaned.

Me, too.

LiterateHiker 9 Feb 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

25 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Everyone has their pet peeves. Though I am very aware that "ain't' isn't a word, I use it.
As for having a romantic relationship a Trump supporter, "ain't" happening. Lol.

Unity Level 7 Feb 19, 2022

Ain’t nothing wrong with ain’t.

I sometimes use the word "ain't" just for emphasis or to be contrary. Or to be a smartass, though I know you may find that hard to believe. I live in a state that is full of church going Republicans and farmers, I grew up in this state, I feel like the redheaded step child, I really don't belong here.

I too have used it especially when repeating the stupid American motto, "If it ain't broken, don't fix it." Sometimes, being sarcastic should not be a deal breaker.

@JackPedigo

"I'm sorry, Bruce, but it just ain't happenin'" I said to indicate that I'm not physically attracted to him. Tried to lighten the mood with humor.

I like Bruce tremendously and value his friendship. We are still friends.

@LiterateHiker I have come to realize any relationship has to start out with a friendship. Sometimes when we expect something other than friendship we miss critical issues. Been there done that. In one previous relationship we both went too far too fast. Luckily we realized that and are still good friends after 25 years.

Is this really a form of classism, or just a preference for stilted appearances?

[ahdictionary.com]

Knowing how to properly use the English language tells a lot about the speaker, but so does a marked fear of being associated with the "wrong" class. Is that really more important than finding out whether he is kind, or patient, or tolerant of human differences?

skado Level 9 Feb 19, 2022

@skado

Thank you for your fascinating history of the use of "ain't."

I find it strange that anyone would boast about being narrow minded and intolerant as if it is some kind of virtue.

@dumasarok

Insulting members is against Agnostic.com guidelines.

You called me narrowminded and intolerant for not liking the word "ain't." Calm down.

@LiterateHiker Non-members? Open slather 😀

@LiterateHiker It is kind of a control tactic to comment on other peoples actions As though you don’t want them to perform them anymore. I take the higher path and try really hard to stay away from that. If this person had said something like, “In my opinion the word ain’t sounds really funny when you say or sounds really bad when you say it it…”. That’s one thing. Liking this action to making this person “ like an ignorant farmer” Kind of puts down both a farmer and a person with whom you are walking. I often wonder why we just can’t be a little more tolerant? Isn’t that a virtue of sorts? Acceptance without judgement? I think in today’s world people like the Trumpians have made this type of behavior a little more acceptable. I don’t really like that. Of course, sarcasm is another whole thing.

@LiterateHiker I did not understand your initial response to me. The edit you made still seems off the mark..

I did not call you anything, I do not use ad hominems.

Your original post described a response to what I regard as a trivial word usage that to me demonstrated a narrow minded and intolerant attitude toward your companion in this incident. I was not generalizing, nor was I attacking your character, I was describing the way I understood your post.

@dumasarok

Your reply:

"I find it strange that anyone would boast about being narrow minded and intolerant as if it is some kind of virtue."

@MaryChristmas

Of course I didn't insult him. That would be mean. I ignored his use of "ain't."

@MaryChristmas

Stop asking me ridiculous questions. I did not give his last name.

My Father in-law was born into a farming family in the year 1908. He completed the 8th grade and then went to work so I suppose he was one of your "uneducated farmers". He was also one of the smartest and wisest men I have ever met.

Say it ain’t so! 😮

skado Level 9 Feb 19, 2022

I speak somewhere between Southern Utah and Nebraska English. I've read that strictly speaking Kansas/Nebraska folks have less 'accent' than anyone else in America -- especially compared to the deep South or the North East. But I was born near Kanab crick just across the Utah border from northern Arizona. Ha, ha.😏
And I've picked up a few words from my wife especially. Yes-ta-day isn't that long ago.

Speaking/writing should be like dressing for work. Keep your audience in mind.
Dress a little better than average for the group and try not to be a snob or a fool.

Make your viewers/listeners as comfortable as possible and convey the message as effectively as possible. Ha, ha.🙂

I live in the heartland, surrounded by uneducated farmers. My good grammar is the exception, rather than the rule, around here. I have gotten so accustomed to hearing it that I often don't notice it. Even so, I know it would be too irritating to hear coming from a potential partner. My pet peeves are people who begin a sentence with "Them are..." or "I seen..." I suppose that's my line in the sand. Also, Trump supporters are definitely a deal breaker. That would be a character flaw that simply could never be overlooked.

When it comes to the word "ain't," I am way too fond of the blues as a music genre to hold any bias against the word at all.

Deb57 Level 8 Feb 20, 2022

My deal breaker it doesn't depend on poor grammar but I'm interested in knowing if that man is toxic.

Wow. this brings back memories. When I was single, I went to a matchmaker and had to fill out an extensive profile. They took a lot of time guiding me to perfection. I was pretty clear about the deal breakers and one was no conservatives! In a very civil way, I gave my reasons because I thought I owed people that. What kind of people did I attract? Lots of people including conservatives! I’m thinking to myself, If they really believe they can be selfish, unkind, ignorant, deceitful types and have a right to date someone who is caring? How arrogant! They should be only seeking out the most greedy members. They can’t have it both ways but for some reason they think they can.

Yes, in the sense that poor grammar = poor thinking. Smart people, well-schooled or not, figure it out. The less gifted just shuffle along. They may be fine people, but as someone to spend time with, it just wouldn't work.

As for a Trump supporter, there is no amount of smart, rich, hot, or anything else that can offset the misalignment in values.

I know I'm hillbilly and proud of it. it's not too uncommon for parents to be flat out wrong about all kinds of stuff. everyone has thier own stupidity I reckon.

I know what you mean about the word "ain't" but I have used it all my life. Mostly this happens because you are around so many others that use it.

…and it sounds cool!

Same here Trump supporter

bobwjr Level 10 Feb 18, 2022

I admit to being a bit of a grammar snob, so I'm not crazy about the word "ain't" unless it's being used humorously. My mom drilled it into us kids that "Ain't ain't a word."

I used to screen my online dating messages by whether they could create a full sentence, spelled correctly and with halfway decent grammar. I don't like it when someone talks like my ex-husband... He had a habit of saying "Where is that at?" instead of just "Where is that?" Drove me nuts! I have a few other peeves along those same lines.

Me too. But, I'm trying to relax in that area.

Took me about two years into our relationship to get my ex to stop pronouncing the "S" in Illinois. And, actually, it wasn't me. We were with friends once and the word came up three or four times. Each time, it was said correctly. He started saying it correctly after that.

@BlueWave I still don’t understand why someone would want to stop someone from saying something. What does it give you?

@Sookiesue I can't answer for BlueWave, but I know that when my ex would say things incorrectly, I would try to break him of those bad habits so that my kids wouldn't pick up his mistakes.

@Julie808 I wonder why we deem them mistakes? As I travel around, I deal in dialects. They are all different and developed over time. They don’t bother me. I have always enjoyed discovering the differences. A couple of my absolute favorites are , “y’all and eh? The south in America and Canada have their sayings. I use them myself at times. Against old English, or Anglo Saxon, I know. But yes, pronouncing a word incorrectly is a very different. That’s another issue.

@Sookiesue I cannot explain why it bugs me when people mispronounce the name of a state or any other common word. The only analogy I can come up with is, if someone you knew for a long time continually mispronounced your name, would you correct them? We are all different. Some people don't notice or don't care about mispronunciations. My brain is different. I notice it immediately and, if it's a common word, it bugs me. There are millions like you, and millions like me.

@BlueWave It would bother me if people were mispronouncing as well. I thought the post was talking about using dialect words like. “ain’t?” lol. I don’t think you can miss pronounce that word! Why is the subject changing to mispronunciation? I think it’s appropriate to correct mispronunciation. But I can’t agree with being upset with using dialect words.

@Sookiesue Start from above where you first addressed my comment. Maybe you didn't mean to be addressing me when you said "you," but that's how I interpreted your question. In any event, to each his own.

@BlueWave I was trying to determine what we were duscussing. I understand now that you were perhaps stating another dealbreaker. Yes, to each his own!

@Sookiesue Well, I guess my point is to speak in a manner that tells everyone who you are... My ex-husband didn't care if he sounded ignorant (he was a teacher!) fine, but I wanted my kids to speak in a manner that made them seem courteous, respectful and knowledgeable of the English language like my side of the family, whereas my ex-husband's side of the family sounded like they'd never attended school. To each their own.

As far as regional dialect, that's fine. I have relatives in the mid-west who speak like farmers should and so did my ex-husband have ancestors who were farmers. I live in Hawaii, where Pidgen English is the norm - totally respect those who speak Pidgen - and I don't even try - I'd sound like a wannabe.

I raised my family in the Greater Seattle and my kids had dreams of careers where good grammar, pronunciation and spelling would be important. My kids loved to read, and developed a wonderful sense of vocabulary on their own. They are each, in their own careers, beautiful writers and speakers.

Now in the region where I currently live, Hawaii, it's obvious whether someone is a local, new resident or tourist/visitor by the way they speak. While I don't pretend to be someone I'm not, I'm aware of the correct way to pronounce Hawaiian words, people's names and local places. I also know proper grammar, but if I want to fit in to a local conversation, I will sometimes drop various words, because it's the custom here. Locals say "across Safeway" instead of "across FROM Safeway" for example. So, I choose the way I speak to fit into the group with whom I'm conversing. It shows a little bit of who I am. Trying to talk with people in the most un-offensive way I can, with out pretending to be someone I'm not.

Visitors and newcomers will invariably speak in such a way that they might as well be holding up a sign that says "I don't live here and don't care if this place or your name means something special, I'm going to butcher the name and I don't care." Some do care, but they just can't say the words right. No judgment - Sometimes it just shows truly their level of appreciation for the culture they are visiting.

I'm of the opinion that we should adapt our manner of speaking to our surroundings if we want to fit in - and buck it if we don't care whether we might be offending someone. Either way, it shows who we are.

Sure, if someone is from a particular region where certain words are popular, great! But we all have our comfort zone about the manner of speaking that goes on in our own little circle or household.

@Julie808 “ they might as well be holding up a sign that says "I don't live here and don't care if this place or your name means something special, I'm going to butcher the name and I don't care."

I think you are assuming a lot about what they are thinking.

Conservative or Trump supporter would do it for me.

A Trump supporter is not for me ever. I'm tolerant but not that tolerant.

an uneducated farmer I knew had more sense and wisdom than you or I ever will. A very humble and understanding man, he would have laughed at your characterization of the word "ain't". you and those that would prefer to stratify language in its use and it's ingredients need to realize academia don't get to say. they're hung up on their own inflated opinion of their opinion. they don't get to call it better or worse. if you believe what language you use has anything to do the kind of character you carry, or intelligence reflected your blind to the reality of the way words function. your being prejudicial. if grammer nazis had their way this Engish language would be dead. it constantly defies the leash and overcomes the arrogance wishing to make it take the shape of an approved plastic expression.

Kathleen..... I just ain't buyin' it .

I dated one woman, I don't know the words she used, but she had a way of speaking down.
(what are you, stupid?)
Then there are those that will never speak in terms of uplifting possibilities (what are you, stupid?)
And those that already have all the answers they could possibly need ( are you stupid?)

Honorable mention goes to:

Words roofers use that are SO wrong: Chimlee, fascial, baby tins, saddle instead of cricket

Words Hoosiers use : Double negatives or words with opposite meaning from what they are trying to say.

Then of course soon to fail "business" people who don't know the difference between Gross & Net Profit.

Sometimes my head spins trying to maintain composure in a conversation. Try to make a gentle correction. If they remain oblivious, then it's their loss

twill Level 7 Feb 21, 2022

I'm one that will quickly lose interest if someone doesn't know the proper use of you're/your or they're/there/their. It's just a preference and we all have preferences. Conservatism is definitely a deal breaker for me. Anymore, I just concentrate on myself and make me happy. I'm good alone. Do what makes you happy Kathleen. Don't let anyone attempt to play games and try to make it appear you're less than because of it.

"Awesome" would be my killer word. Remember in the late '80's everyone was like "like" all the time? Like soooooo annoying (sorry).
Awesome nowadays annoys the same for me.

puff Level 8 Feb 19, 2022

Wow, that's interesting. I use awesome frequently. Multiple times a day. I have to check demographics to make sure my callers are who they claim to be (member service in a credit union call center). Short version is asking DOB and email, and if they give the right answers I will usually reply awesome. The long version is including mailing address and telephone number. In 10 months doing this job only one person has commented on my use of the word, and she was PO'd at us anyway, so I don't give her opinion much value. And I agree, the overuse of the word like was mind numbing.

@HippieChick58 for me it's just awe/ awesome are like the limit eg what's greater than awe struck? It lessens the meaning of the word if used all the time.
A job I quit, had a smart arse PA/ secretary who used it constantly. My last communication with her was a suggestion to pull her awesome head out of her awesome arse (didn't go down too well, no sense of humour).

Ha! I use awesome all the time and I annoy myself when I do. I sometimes take the time to find another word, but not always.

I have a co-worker who, for every situation, story, or experience she relays, ends it with "That's CRAZY!" I've started saying "No, it's not crazy -- that's really great!" She doesn't every get my drift.

I can't stand that word either. The only person from whom I tolerate it is my cousin. She was infected when she moved to the south and is having a really hard time breaking the habit. I tease her every time. I live in the south now. It's extremely common and I cringe every time I hear it. Same with "I seen" rather than "I saw." The only people I don't hear say it are co-workers and a few others--all of whom are college-educated.

I tried using ain't for comedic effect but people just laughed at me.

With so many bullets being dodged everywhere it's little wonder gun control is an imperative.

After two rough relationships there are lots of deal breakers. Better to be alone than with someone who makes your life miserable. Noooo thank you.

what's funny @Literatehiker?

Maybe she's laughing at Approved Plastic Expression? (Is that a Frank Zappa line?)

@twill mine.

@hankster It's a good one !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:651431
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.