Agnostic.com

4 2

Hello, as they say, long time listener, first time caller. My general take of this app is there are plenty of links, religious questioning and some memes, all of which can be entertaining and informative on occassion. But what I don't see and concerns me most is the organized push of religion in society. I mean, there are ads for religioys schools and universities, which push out students into the real world to push their dogma. There are conservative think tanks that use religion for political gain, think abortion among others. There is ALEC, which actually writes conservative/religous laws for congress. There is a powerful media influence. My question, is, do the non-religious have anything comparable to conter balance this movement. Because if there is, I am not seeing it. Does anyone else worry about this? I hope this is a relavent post.

Danny928 6 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

[politifact.com]
We have evolution on our side if one lives long enough. At least we are no longer burned at the stake.
Some of the more public atheists are advancing our position via their celebrity.

Hello. We have science. We are not commissioned by a higher power to convert like religious people think they are and I don't think we could be because of the necessary neutrality of science. Religion is on the decline around the world but the progress is slow.

On a personal level, I am completely out of the atheist closet and my relationships suffer regular casualties as a result. I am hopeful that this will not continue for future generations although it is very helpful to me when someone ends a relationship with me for the specific reason that I don't share their delusions.

@Danny928

Good question.

American Civil Liberties Union & Freedom from Religion Foundation spring to mind.

Yes, ACLU is reactionary, FFRF is but a single org. Without an organized competing secular agenda, one day we may wake up under the Xtian flag and 10 commandments on every corner. Maybe that is my pessimistic view.

@Danny928 Your post is very relevant and IMO your view is pessimistic. Your bio says you like science, which requires skepticism and evidence. There is evidence for optimism, if idealism or cynicism don’t block your view.

BTW, ALEC writes proposed laws mainly for state legislatures, which don’t have the resources Congress has.

Atheists are still regarded as worse than Islamic extremists, and while a Muslim can run for Congress, atheists are considered unelectable. In spite of this, the unaffiliated category is growing very fast, in part because of education, and partly because young people recoil at the hypocrisy and bigotry exhibited by the religious.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:651972
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.