Agnostic.com

9 3

Q: If the British call French fries "chips" and potato chips "crisps", then what do they call "fries"?

A: All of you...stop it…just stop it!

I'm British, and therefore qualified to respond.

If you are British;

These are “chips” (see photo)

These are “crisps” (see photo)

These are “French Fries” or “Fries” (see photo)

These are “Pomme Allumette” (Potato Matchsticks) (see photo)

And for completeness, this is a potato

😆😆😆

[quora.com]

Ryo1 8 Feb 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

PS. Toad In The Hole, does not contain any dead or live toad, and it is not cooked in a hole.

Someone seems to have eaten the potato.

You''ve got it right but they taste great with chicken salt or vinegar or tomato or siracha sauce. I've not tried them with mayonaise, but I'm open to it. 😃

. . . potAto, potAHto 🙂

French fries are incorrectly named, anyway. They are a Belgian invention.

But the Belgians put mayonnaise on their fries.

@JackPedigo So do I. 🙂

@Lauren Are you part Belgian? In Germany I had a Belgian neighbor. She made great mayonnaise.

@JackPedigo I don't think so. 🤔 Maybe. But I know I'm part German. 😊

@Lauren What is it about mayonnaise, may I ask (should I say darf Ich fragen)? I didn't care for it either but found a variety of plant based mayonnaise's which I can use for things as salads (coleslaw).

@JackPedigo It sounds like you may dislike the thing I like about it: the rich, creamy eggy-ness with a touch of tang from lemon juice (or vinegar). It's one of the few American condiments that I use with any frequency. I don't have much experience with the plant-based varieties.

@Lauren In Germany a neighbors girl friend (her name was Marie Pierre and went by Mapie) and always made mayonnaise. It was yellow instead of the usual white and we all loved her version. However, the amount of egg and oil is not that healthy and I need to stay away from eggs. There are several plant based versions and some come with added herbs. Even Hellman's has a plant based version. It is healthier but I don't know how aficionados of 'real' mayo. would care for the taste. [foodfornet.com]

@JackPedigo I would (will) give those a try. I suspect Hellman's is a bit optimistic when they say it's so similar to their classic product you’ll never even know the difference. I've found it's easier for me to try alternate products with the mindset that they aren't going to taste the same, but will be different options to use instead. I would miss eggs as I enjoy them a lot.

@Lauren Like instant Postum as compared to instant coffee.

@Petter I've never tasted Postum, but I'm curious since it's been around so long. I have Asian friends who enjoy instant coffee but it must be better there than it is here. Do you like either of them over drip coffee?

@Lauren in Uganda, despite it being a coffee growing country, coffee was hard to come by.
However, I discovered a shop had a large stock of instant Postum, left from pre-Amin times. So I bought a dozen jars and every day, for elevenses, I would go home for a "coffee", enhanced by a drop of Baileys or Tia Maria.

Where's the spud photo?

But what to they call French Fries in France?

The French call them Belgian, because that is actually where they were invented.
By the way, a "French letter" in France is called a "Cap Anglais" and "French Leave" is called "filer a l'Anglaise". The English and French have been accusing each other of the same thing for years!

tasty! I'm glad someone cleared that up. been a mystery for a while. so, its a plating issue primarily.

Hence fish and chips.

Spot on. Lol

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.