Agnostic.com

7 2

75 years if counted in moons.

MerlinZap 8 Feb 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I was taught in my Old Testament course (at a christian college) that people don't live to that age anymore because of Original sin's long term effect on the gene pool. Of course that asertion was never supported or explored with any kind of evolutionary biology. It was just one of those things thrown out there by apologists- mostly because it sounds good to people that want to support such silly beliefs.

Because it is a fairy story, it never happened, he never existed and this is the same sort of mental masturbation as performed by those who spend months trying to figure out how Rip Van Winkle could possibly have slept for twenty years and not died.

Doubtless, someone will construct a theory on the origin of the bandersnatch. 🙂

969 because he did 69 nine times a day.

Who knows, early Hebrew was very difficult to read, especially the number system which changed over time.

Its like, the story teller said. " I used to know this really smart guy, called Noah. Who said. There is bound to be a flood one day. So he built a boat big enough for all his family and two each of all the farm animals."

And the story tellers grandson said. " I used to know this really smart guy, called Noah. Who said. There is bound to be a flood one day. So he built a boat big enough for all his family and two each of all the animals."

"Hey did he miss out the word 'farm' then ?"

"Shut up will you ! I'm listening to the story."

I think they were counting full moons rather than trips around the sun.

Noah supposedly live to be 950 years old too.

BD66 Level 8 Feb 25, 2022

Because 970 would've been TOO ridiculous to believe.

Good point.

When I was a kid our preacher taught us that we're devolving.
The first people almost living a millennium with each generation after being smaller weaker and dumber.
I love how every science proves biblical wisdom fucking stupid as any other mythology.

Your preacher was an incompetent wretch at best, and an evil bastard at worst.

@anglophone Standard fare in the Bible Belt, all the bastards have is the Bible and an entitled attitude with NOTHING to back it all up.

I remember hearing that explanation (for the ages of the early patriarchs).

@DaganCurie No, not at all, he called evolution a lie, he like many other Christians believed in devolution. The watchmaker wound it all up and it's all running down, it's the only way they can square the preposterous stories in Genesis.

@DaganCurie T-Rex and velociraptor type therapods evolved into song birds. They did NOT devolve, there's NO such thing, even when features are lost.
The opposite of evolving is staying the same, at least biologically.

@DaganCurie Die on any hill you want to, but do it alone, I'm not participating.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652614
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.