Agnostic.com

4 2

How the U.S. helped Ukraine prepare for a Russian invasion: What I found interesting was the fact that during WWII Russia, under Stalin, was losing the war on the eastern front. Because of our aid in supplying war material and rebuilding some soviet factories further from the front line the Russians were successful. [share.america.gov] Seems they have forgotten how we help our allies. [yahoo.com]

JackPedigo 9 Feb 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Russia has been the nightmare neighbor from hell for practically forever.

To maintain control in the 30's, Stalin murdered thousands within his military command structure, and made his army impotent. Knowing this self-created weakness, he negotiated with Hitler to form an alliance against such time as he could reconstitute his military. When Hitler attacked anyway, Stalin bristled at the amount of time the Allies took to mount their counter-offensive. During that time, Russia lost vast numbers to Hitler's advances. It's stupid, but Russians still blame the west for their losses. None of that would have gone down that way except for Stalin's paranoia and mass murder of his own people.

The usual blame game for their own lack of action or just plain intelligence.

They forgot that very shortly after the war ended. But then Stalin was not very good at maintaining friendships and very paranoid about everything.

Often comes with the job. They think everybody's out to get you, and they usually are.

It was a much different world then, wasn't it? Of course, nobody knew who Stalin really was....

Churchill did but we needed the Soviets to take care of the East front. I wonder, had we had hindsight what would we have done?

@JackPedigo Hard to say...the allies needed Russia.

Once Germany was defeated wasn't there a general who was pushing for the U.S to go after Russia because he knew what a threat Stalin was?

@LucyLoohoo I might question that. There is a film series on Youtube titled War factories. The series has some 8 episodes and it clearly shows that without replacement material one cannot win a war. Britain was able to outproduce Germany in war material and the US beat everybody. There is an episode on Russia and most of their factories were near the front lines. Being so placed they were often destroyed. Stalin was losing. Yes, we wanted them to win. But, in hindsight if Hitler had overrun the country perhaps we would have gotten rid of the Soviet Union. We could have prevailed (especially had we not have to fight the Japanese). Yes, the war would have been longer but, in the end we might have been better off. We have had to deal and fight the Soviets/Russians ever since. In a way our help, helped prolong the war which morphed into one with nuclear weapons.

@JackPedigo Jack, the Russians were important in swarming into Germany and taking Berlin. That's what I meant about how the allies ''needed'' them. The fact that they raped, murdered and looted along the way is, apparently, irrelevant. I know a woman whose mother was raped by Russian soldiers in front of her...a very young child.

@LucyLoohoo Again, be careful what you wish for. In the end we got a divided city which remained so for over 45 years. Germany was well on it's way out and there was a rush to get to Berlin before the Russians took over the whole city. The crimes of peoples as Russians and especially the Japanese are well known and documented but this is often a human crime and not limited to one tribe. This may sound strange but I was literally a neighbor to one of the Nuremberg defendants, Albert Speer, Hitlers architect. Herr Speer got 20 years and returned to his home in the Konigstuhl mountain above my residence in Heidelberg. His home was opened for discussion on the war. He was the only defendant who said that if the Germans were willing to glory in their winning they should also be willing to accept their defeat. This was a highly astute person who termed the Americans apparent limited atrocities as the "benevolence of plenty." Our home land was not bombed and most Americans not directly involved in the fighting were relatively well off.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:652840
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.