Agnostic.com

4 0

Just encountered this little parking lot sermon on a sign, while out on my lunchtime walk at work. It is curious to ponder the owner's intended impact with this message on a wrinkled sign.
Are we really to repent of sins we don't believe in? "Sins" as defined by whom? Surely not the bibble, as Xtians violate those often contradictory directives freely as it suits them.
Believe in the gospel?? Which one? There are at least four separate ones in the bibble alone, and many other Philosophical "gospel" references. See, already, we are forced to interpret what magical thinkers claim is literal.
Obey Jesus? Would that be the long-dead presumed historical character who by definition can no longer speak for himself? (Rhetorical question)....or the more likely self-appointed reps on Earth whose personal agendas conveniently coincide with their interpretation of Jesus' commands? Yeah, I don't think so.

I would be tempted to leave a scathing review in a note for this driver, buuuut, I am at work, and my employer frowns on offending visitors.
Pity.

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Mar 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can say I have done everything Jesus has told me I should do. The problem with this is that I have never seen Jesus or talked to him. Waiting for him to show up and get the approval of his followers before I go any farther.

Be sure, also, to check his I.D. when he does show up. It could be so embarrassing to end up obeying the wrong Jesus. 😉

@MikeInBatonRouge For sure I would do this. While working as a cook in a restaurant in Portland, one Sunday, we were close to the Sunday Market, which in Portland was a big deal, Jesus was at the front door wondering if he should come in to eat or not. I did not ask for ID as that would be rude, but I would have cooked him a good meal if he had wanted. Apparently, he was not talking as thee were no others around him.

Logic & reason will always fail with the unreasonable & illogical. Just ask Mr. Spock.

Sucks to be that retard.

[Definitions of gospel

noun
the written body of teachings of a religious group that are generally accepted by that group

synonyms: church doctrine, creed, religious doctrine

see more
noun
a doctrine that is believed to be of great importance
“Newton's writings were gospel for those who followed”
see more
noun
an unquestionable truth
“his word was gospel”

synonyms: gospel truth

see more
noun
folk music consisting of a genre of a cappella music originating with Black slaves in the United States and featuring call and response; influential on the development of other genres of popular music (especially soul)

synonyms: gospel singing]

Oh goody!!! We get to choose what "gospel is." 

My gospel reference is the Humanist Manifesto.🤗

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:655873
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.