Agnostic.com

19 15

Does eating chocolate upset your stomach?

"You need to stop eating chocolate," my doctor said.

"But I love dark chocolate," I replied, dismayed. "Chocolate is my fifth food."

"Eating chocolate causes your esophageal sphincter to relax and gastric contents to rise," she explained.

So much for making chocolate chip cookies.

LiterateHiker 9 Mar 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

19 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

dark chocolate is good for your heart in small quantities. Maybe eat it earlier in the day so it's good to sleep? (preventing GERD)

I'm afraid giving up chocolate is something I will never do. I've got a monkey on my back in the shape of a huge cocoa bean.

I am in BIG TROUBLE 😂😁😵

I think you'll find it's the caffeine in chocolate that does that as coffee has the same effect. Perhaps you can find low caffeine chocolate.

Back in in my 40s my OBGYN told me that craving chocolate might indicate I was needing magnesium. I asked him if maybe he could just write me a script for Reeses Peanutbutter Cups and then I could put them on my Schedule A itemized deductions-medical. He didn't even smile, NO sense of humor but a good doc. Anyway I did start a magnesium supplement and the craving went away. I still loved chocolate but I was not driven to kill for it.
As to heartburn, try indulging early in the day, after exercising or when you won't be doing anything where you bend over a lot.
I'd still eat it but if heartburn strikes take a little bit of baking soda in room temperature water.
The thing to know is if baking soda does not cut the heartburn apple cidar vinegar will. Too little acid can also cause heartburn.

@silverotter11

Love you sense of humor! Thanks for the suggestions.

Be very careful of overdosing on Magnesium. Magnesium helps in sleep and with bones absorbing. I found out the hard way one can get too much. A group, 'The People's Pharmacy' had a discussion on this topic. [peoplespharmacy.com]
One great way to reduce heartburn is gum. Several brands like Just Gum do not use artificial sweeteners and only a trace amount of sugar. Gum helps stimulate saliva flow. Just Gum is interesting in its natural ingredients means it is really sticky. There are papers in the pack for disposing ot the gum. Thy using your fingers and you'll see just how sticky.

@JackPedigo But chewing gum can cause bloating as sometimes you swallow too much air. Happens more with age, the air swallowing thing. Right now I'm using 200mg. Half the tablet in the morning and the other half with my late afternoon/early evening meal. Yeah, too much has ya running to the bathroom.

Never bothered mine

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 18, 2022

That sucks!!

Not a big chocolate fan but a cut up square goes great with a bowl of cereal along with some sliced bananas, fresh blueberries and shredded coconut on top. 92% is the best chocolate for this.

Find another doctor?

Does not upset mine.

My love of chocolate started at the age of 10 when I was allowed to pick my birthday cake. Then I was allowed to pick my own breakfast cereal. Just bought some chocolate peanut butter no bake cookies.

Simple antidote. Do not eat chocolate on a full stomach - and chew a "Rennies" or similar a bit later to reduce stomach acidity.

I used to take the roasted cocoa beans and chew them as snacks until I couldn't find them when the farm I was buying them from closed down. Sorry for your loss.

Hmm... I've never noticed it, but good to know. I seldom eat chocolate, not addicted to it like so many people, so a box of chocolates can last me months.

What a shame! It's one of my favorite food groups as well, so I sympathize. I've had to cut back on a number of other foods, but fortunately chocolate doesn't seem to be causing me any problems. Fingers crossed! Perhaps it's a matter of how much and when you eat it?

Chocolate, or maybe the sugar tends to cause palpitations. I am addicted to chocolate and it's been hard cutting out the chocolate. I will cut it out for a few months, and then relapse.

It can drive your blood pressure up, and a lot of people have allergic reactions causing headaches, sleep problems, and energy loss if they don't top up. And of course it contains a lot of sugar. But then there is range of benefits too.

Yes, it sometimes gives me heartburn, but I love dark chocolate, and it's good for the heart.

@Organist1

I love dark chocolate, too. Never liked milk chocolate.

If I eat chocolate or drink coffee, I can get migraine headaches. Despite the risk, I'll consume it at times, but I need to have excedrine in stock, just in case.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:656413
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.