Agnostic.com

10 21

LINK Kim Davis Violated Gay Couples' Rights by Refusing to Marry Them: Judge

(A part of me finds it hard to believe this case was still in the courts.)

A federal judge on Friday ruled that former Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis violated two gay couples' constitutional rights when she refused to marry them.

Davis briefly went to jail in 2015 for refusing to issue marriage licenses to same-sex couples, even after the US Supreme Court ruled that same year that the constitution guarantees same-sex couples the right to marry. In her refusal, Davis cited religion, saying she was "upholding the word of God."

"It is this Court's opinion that Davis violated Plaintiffs' constitutional right to marry," US Judge David Bunning of the Eastern District of Kentucky said in Friday's ruling.

The decision opens the door for the possibility of punitive damages for the couples she refused to marry, David Ermold and David Moore, and Will Smith and James Yates. Both couples filed civil suits against her, according to court documents.

snytiger6 9 Mar 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Good that the bitch is getting what she deserves.

What should have happened was she should have been fired for refusing to do her job! There is a differecnce between not believing in something yourself because of your religion and as a public servant, trying to force your religious beliefs onto others in the execution of your official duties. Happens a lot and needs to stop.

Am I missing something here? It says Kim Davis refused to marry a gay couple but my understanding of it was that she refused to issue a marriage license. Later her other office workers issued licenses anyway. Was Kim able to marry the couple but refused to do so? This is confusing.

She put her magic sky wizard above the rights of other people.

I do admit that the wording of the article is a bit confusing. Technically in many states the issuing of the marriage license is the secular marriage. I don't think the ceremony is not always needed for the marriage to be legal. However the license is usually needed, when common law marriage doesn't apply.

It's very simple, she discriminated against people because they were gay.

I hope the vile little bitch gets sued into penury.

Christians don't care about anybody ut themselves.

When same sex marriage became legal in my state, one of the busiest marriage license agents simply quit issuing licenses, as his way of showing his disagreement with the new law.

Here on Kauai, most of our marriage license agents work out of their own small businesses, so issuing licenses brings more potential customers in, so it might have impacted his business in a small way, but that was his choice.

If he had stayed on in his role as marriage license agent, and refused to issue same sex licenses, it would have caused a stir for a while, so it was the right decision for him.

With the Kim Davis case, she was acting as an employee of the government, so she should have followed the law or changed jobs.

I remember in the early 1990's the Hawaiian Supreme Court ruled that the ban on gay marriage was unconstitutional, at leat for the Hawaii constitution. The Catholic and Mormon churches stepped in and managed to get to state constitution amended, and in the mean tine until it went through had a court stay put in place to prevent gays from marrying.

Then something similar happened in California in the early 2000's, but in that instance many gay couples got married before the state constitution could be amended.

Then later the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that the bans on same sex marriages was unconstitutional, and gay marriage became legal everywhere in the U.S.

Progress.

Religious racist cunt

bobwjr Level 10 Mar 20, 2022

I usually am very much against that word.
But she has earned it.

Also so obviously has no gay male friends.

They would not allow that look to continue for 5 minutes.

And ironically she divorced and remarried.
Her special book has things to say about that.

For most Christians, the rules only apply to other people. Not to themselves.

Took long enough, FFS!

It's nice to see her getting what she deserves.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:656750
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.