Agnostic.com

7 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

All the astrophysicists are wrong then, oh dear.

here's some pretty awesome images (mouse-zoomable- pseudo 3-d) of the JWST.

[jwst.nasa.gov]

The following link is to a video that gives us a notion of the scale of things and well worth watching to the end.

I saw this same animation hijacked by flat Earthers to claim the solar system couldn't possibly exist as we're told.

I love this animation, though the Sun is rotating And moving through the plane of of our galaxy ..wonder if the could add that to this animation ..

I heard someone say that if the entire solar system disappeared it would not be noticed in the Milky Way Galaxy, just like speck of dust.

" Our Solar System consists of our star, the Sun, and its orbiting planets (including Earth), along with numerous moons, asteroids, comet material, rocks, and dust. Our Sun is just one star among the hundreds of billions of stars in our Milky Way Galaxy. If we shrink the Sun down to smaller than a grain of sand, we can imagine our Solar System to be small enough to fit onto the palm of your hand. Pluto would orbit about an inch from the middle of your palm.

On that scale with our Solar System in your hand, the Milky Way Galaxy, with its 200 – 400 billion stars, would span North America".

That's what pisses me off - when folks don't realize how immense the universe is and start talking about talking with - or worse yet -visits to and from "aliens".

The Drake equation explains a little but it's point is simple..."yes - there is a good chance of alien civilizations out there...and No - there's no chance that we will ever talk to or visit them - or that they have ever visited us.

Below are two versions.

@Robecology I think that it would be arrogant to believe that given the vastness of our galaxy alone that we are the only life forms in the universe. Even with current technology someone estimated that it would take 75,000 years to reach the nearest star, Proxima Centauri, which is 4.24 light years from earth.

@ASTRALMAX My point, exactly. I don't think you'll find any who are so wrapped up in their religiosity that they assume that "we are the only life forms in the universe". I don't think there's anyone left out there who assumes this.

I even copied the essence of what you said in to my notes and I copied and pasted it "ad nauseam" on FB astronomy sites.

I got fed up with the absurd arguments - not only that we're the only life forms (rare) but that aliens have visited us and we'll be able to visit them soon (common). Glad I've "weaned" myself from FB.

@Robecology Even so, gotta love those old sci-fi movies😁.

@silverotter11 They piss me off...

Don't get me started...

I'm afraid that's how the #religulous got started...

Our affection for "stories"

The movie (and book) " Contact" was - in essence - a great debate between science and religion . Watch it...full of "what if's"...Carl Sagan's Opus...

Matthew McConaughey

did a great acting job in this one...his lines were excellent.

@waitingforgodo Doubtless, such an assertion requires a proof otherwise it is nothing other than a belief.

@Robecology I loved that movie!!!!! I guess the simple entertainment value is what I was joking about. Yeah, some really cannot differentiate or reason out very well.
I've never been on a vessel at sea where the hull was cracked in a violent storm but I can understand why a person who had would find the movie "Perfect Storm" utterly ridiculous. I just liked watching George Clooney.

Yes. And the sun’s helix is moving with the Milky Way’s helix. Life is movement.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:656766
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.