Agnostic.com

14 0

Intelligent design

Is believing in the possibility of Intelligent Design at odds with being an Agnostic? The more I read about, and understand the theory of Intelligent Design, the more sense it makes to me. However, I don't feel this proves a God or God's are responsible for our universe.

bigpawbullets 9 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I can say that when it comes to software development, it's actually a challenge to come up with something decent because it requires a lot of skills and knowledge, so it's not surprising that some errors may appear. It was one of the reasons I decided to turn to low-code, and tools like [processmix.com] actually help me with all my business processes, reducing the errors due to human factor.

In my opinion it is organized religion that tries to force a "One path fits all." dogma that makes people conclude there is no divine creator but I think that is ignorant too. Think of all we as humans have accomplished in the way of cloning, space travel, technology and then it becomes apparent this is not random. Personally I picture a mad scientist like Einstein or Christoper Lloyd in Back To The Future. I just do not believe in religion. A creator that makes us infinitely unique but expects us all to follow the same path to knowledge does not make any sense but a creator that just keeps designing new things makes perfect sense.

Whoever said that there can't be some inherent survival intelligence in nature that results in design, or at least what we perceive as design? The problem with Intelligent Design theory is the fundamental assumption that even the appearance of intelligence or design can't be explained without postulating some sort of "God" or "gods". Whoever said that the existential basis of the Universe, without postulating some incomprehensible entity called a "god", is pure chaotic idiocy? Nature begs to differ.

Intelligent design presupposes a god so it is at odds with rational thought.

Simulation theory perhaps needs an architect, a designer, and a software development team but they aren't necessarily gods either. Just another level of abstraction.

If there is a god, then s/he is 8 years old and we're an ant farm.

I might be wrong so I'll go ask my unicorn too @JosephMullaney

I like the ant farm theory.

It is the term "god" that is misleading. A creator would not necessarily be perfect and may have stumbled onto knowledge of how to create humans or planets. It is not religious but a mad scientist? Think of all we are doing with cloning, DNA, stem cells and it becomes clear that yes there could be a "creator" just not a god. Personally I think we are a creation that went wrong and became arrogant, self righteous, and extremely opinionated. Being closed to religion and gods does not conclude there is no intelligent design involved.

@CreativelyMe So sure, if you subscribe to simulation theory or your proposed mad scientist theory, then there was some itelligence involved. The term, "Intelligent design is a religious argument for the existence of God, presented by its proponents as "an evidence-based scientific theory about life's origins", though it has been discredited as pseudoscience. Wikipedia"

@shockwaverider I do not subscribe to any belief. There are many I have ruled out but to say that intelligent design is limited to religion is not a good argument against it. In my human capacity I will never have enough knowledge to even comprehend why WE are here so ruling out intelligent design just because religious people use it for their argument is kind of narrow minded in my opinion.

@CreativelyMe You're still missing the point, The term, "Intelligent design", is a religious term. It is semantics. Of course some superior being or beings might have nudged evolution along or whatever.

Watch the video in the comment by @gsiamne

I would suggest a book by Dr Leonard Susskin, a theoretical physicist. Cosmic Landscape: String Theory & the Illusion of Intelligent Design.

Here is just a short talk from Dr. Neil Degrasse Tyson on stupid design:

Intelligent design resides in the “god of the gaps” dilemma. As science progresses, the gaps that need god to explain them grow smaller. Someday there will be no need for a god explanation as the answers to these questions will have a logical explanation.

You know the theory that we are living in a computer simulation? If true, then there's an intelligent designer. [scientificamerican.com]

vita Level 7 Apr 24, 2018

The problem I see with intelligent design is this: it assumes a watch needs a watchmaker; but the watchmaker (more complex than the watch, for sure) came from nothing. How does that make sense at all?

A watchmaker also requires a designer and parts makers. Not being able to trace it back to the origins does not mean they are not there. Let's face it, our being here at all does not make sense either so how can we possibly gain enough knowledge in one lifetime to understand the most mysterious of all things, existence?

That's a bit like asking 'Can I believe in a god and still be an Atheist?'

Intelligent design is defined by "the theory that life, or the universe, cannot have arisen by chance and was designed and created by some intelligent entity." Who designed the intelligent entity? It's a recursive process of designer to designer to designer to designer to designer to designer to designer.. ad infinitum. Which designer in that continuum is more intelligent? LoL

I agree with Lloyd Pye's book, "Intervention Theory of Origins—
of the Universe, of Life, of Hominoids, and of Humans."

Hell yes, but let me ask my unicorn for a second opinion.

I went to check with my unicorn too but she was pooping rainbows and didn't want to talk.

I would venture to say yes, but im no expert. Then you have to think if a creator is needed for something to exist, who created the creator and who created that creator....its a never ending cycle...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:65774
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.