Agnostic.com

7 18

Study: Women of no faith face discrimination — when they are seen at all
‘Nonreligious Women in America’ details the extent to which women conceal their nonreligious identities, as well as the isolation, stigma and discrimination they face.

[religionnews.com]discrimination-and-conceal-their-beliefs/

xenoview 8 Apr 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depends greatly upon where you live. I'm super open about it here in Cali. No hassles. But I keep quiet about it with parents of my kids friends. I don't want them to be treated differently.

I wish that was the only reason woman were discriminated against. Women are discriminated against constantly, sometimes just for BEING women.

Absolutely. Sometimes it is subtle, such as calling adult females "girls", it's ridiculous.

@Gwendolyn2018 Another good comeback is asking whether you are less than an adult. I also prefer Ms as marital status should make no difference in almost all instances.

@Gwendolyn2018 I see similarities with endearments, "girl", and "young woman" in that they are often used to address children. It's almost as if their use denies my entire adult existence. As we have the wisdom of those that are post-menopausal it is truly insulting and has elements of misogyny.

I also see a similarity with using "girl" among women and People of Color using the n-word. I would still like to see the use of both dropped completely so that their use is not construed as being in any way acceptable.

Words and language matter 🙂

I imagine that is quite true. I was fortunate enough to choose a profession that insulated me to a certain extent from that kind of discrimination.

I also have a personality that doesn't care what other people think.

I used to get discriminated against, in past years, but I have insulated myself pretty well now, so I don't get any of that anymore.

In the past, a religious relative considered me to be an evil witch, not only because I'm non-religious, but because a had a stray hair sticking out of my chin! Guess that made me a witch - then years after that, this relative confided in me that his wife started getting stray hairs on her face too, as she got older. So he apologized about that comment and also for treating me so mean because of my non-religiousness, saying he now considers me to be one of the more thoughtful people he knows and my kids turned out well.

Another time, in the past, a neighbor stated that I should be put in jail for performing weddings on the beach (instead of in a church) as getting married outside the church should be against the law. (This was before gay marriage, so I sure wonder what he'd say about all the gay weddings I do now too!) Even though I remember that and other comments from my other neighbors and even my dentist, I just try to show that I'm a good person and prove their prejudice wrong.

I've also had people tell me I'm such a good Christian, and then I tell them that actually I"m an atheist. I do wonder what they do with that information, haha!

I'm an outspoken atheist and also a good caring person. It just takes more of us to change the stigma of being non-religious into being a non-point.

My former dentist jumped me with an anti abortion screed while in the chair...."What do I think about them killing babies in VA?"

Fucking guy left me with 2 black teeth. I only recently found out that it was his fault !

What it comes gown to is one thing. Some really need to start growing thicker skin. Man and Woman the same. I will never hesitate to show my atheism, and even flaunt it…….regardless if I’m walking through the biggest city or the most religious rural area. If you don’t like it, that’s others problems more than it’s mine.

@Gwendolyn2018 Why not?

This is why I'm so defiantly outspoken about my atheism.
I refuse to be silent, and pretty much dare anyone to hold it against me.
I've been called a lot of names, but I will invariably turn it back on whomever is trying to diminish me.

My whole attitude about it (and a bunch of other things) is, COME AT ME, BRO!
I will not allow anyone to discriminate against me, or try to force me into believing.

If people know you won't be intimidated by their bullshit, they are much less likely to try.

Men do to.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:658684
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.