Agnostic.com

7 8

It sure seems that way.

MaryChristmas 7 Apr 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Which is exactly why I am extremely reluctant to inflict myself on anybody.

Me too....I am part of the problem

twill Level 7 Apr 5, 2022

I think that the only people deserving unconditional love are babies, little children, those who are sick and the elderly who are incapable of taking care of themselves. Upon everyone else there has to be conditions in much the same way that there has to be rules in a game. The rules define the limits of a move in any game and without which no game is possible.

It doesn't hurt to have a few parameters set and an understanding of similar values and trust.

I doubt that unconditional love truly exists between any two adults.

@MaryChristmas I'd go further and include a non-violent and non-abuse relationship both physically and emotionally.

I only have one: no kids.

So, someone who committed first-degree murder would be okay with you? How about someone who spent time in prison for arson? Personally, I'm a bit picky about such things but that's me.

@Charles1971 Okay, so I guess I kind of misspoke. My no kids policy is not related to love. You can't control who you love. People fall in love with murderers and arsonists all the time. I worked with a woman who started dating a guy that was in prison and married him when he got out. I don't look for incarcerated women, so it's unlikely that'll happen to me, but it would be silly of me, an agnostic atheist, to say something can't happen that actually could.

There is only one way you'll find unconditional love in this world, regardless of your conditions. Buy a dog.

Dogs have turned on owners before...

@JeffMurray and women have killed men and men have killed women. Does that make all killers? I said that I believe unconditional love only comes from a dog but maybe I wasn't clear in that, although I believe unconditional love only comes from a dog, that doesn't mean that unconditional love comes from all dogs

@Cyklone The men and women thing is irrelevant because I'm not saying they can provide unconditional love. Your statement, "Buy a dog" seems to suggest that you can get unconditional love from them. But given that dogs can turn on their owners, especially when mistreated, it means that, too, isn't unconditional.

@JeffMurray you've obviously never owned a dog. They rarely turn on their owners if mistreated, unfortunately. However, my comment was meant in light hearted jest and I find this pedantry tiresome.

@Cyklone I haven't. I personally find the concept of dog ownership ridiculous. Rarely isn't never.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:659147
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.