Agnostic.com

30 6

Your thoughts on going to religious ceremonies?

Every once in a while I get asked to go to a religious ceremony of some sort. Be it a wedding or just good ol’ Church on Sunday. Those two don’t really bother me but I typically opt out of the latter. That said, when I’m asked to a religious ceremony where babies or kids are the center of the event (e.g. baptism, first communion, etc) I find myself bothered by the idea of even supporting it. I don’t want to be a part of the indoctrination of any child so of course I’m going to say no.

Then I kinda feel like an asshole because it’s always people who are close to me that invite me in the first place.

What would you do?

sevenfortyseven 4 Apr 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

30 comments (26 - 30)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It is my view that, in terms of importance, for most people, the ceremony is more important than the religion.

For that reason, I go.

I avoid them.
But I don't have any religious friends or any family so it isn't difficult.

This is difficult, as you say, especially if it's family. My brother, who I'm really unclear on regarding his actual belief. I THINK he is a believer, but definitely not religious. His wife, however, is Catholic, and has raised their children as Catholics. They are rather hypocritical because none of them attends church, but they have the other bases covered, if you will. I think it was their children's confirmation we were invited to. We went in support of the family, but now I'm almost militant about my atheism and wouldn't agree to going to a similar event. Weddings are another matter. I think a lot of people just defer weddings as the purvey of churches. Neither of my two weddings were held in churches, nor were they religious. We wrote our own vows and used nondenominational ministers.

To your point, in the case of child or adult baptism, I think you could politely decline by saying you appreciate that they have thought to invite you, but as a non-believer, you feel your attendance at such an event would constitute an endorsement or other religious-based support so you'll be unable to attend.

Weddings and funerals of family members only..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:66049
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.