Agnostic.com

4 8

I was glad to see this moving forward. The comment period ends April 25th.
There is a link in the article to get to the comment site.
[courierherald.com]

silverotter11 9 Apr 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It will be interesting to see what happens. I also thought the word Squaw simply meant Woman, like the Hawaiian word Wahine, but not knowing the more delicate meaning of Squaw previously, I can now see why it would be deemed derogatory. I

'm sure most people aren't aware of the meanings of many of the indigenous words we use every day from the cultures previously inhabiting the land we are now occupying. I'm glad more effort is being put into this education, even though it's awfully late in the history of the area to just now be thinking about what the words mean.

I did submit comments. I stated that perhaps the renaming should be by Native Peoples not more white folk.

Having grown up in Olympia, admiring the beautiful site of Mt. Ranier every day that wasn't too overcast, I love seeing this article and hope to see some inspired names come from the renaming process for that lake....and other landmarks.

There is a small pointed peak off on the left as you come into Yakima on I-82, back in 2006 when I asked a geologist who was working with the Yakima Nation what it was called he said Squaw Tit. My response let him I know I was appalled, he felt the same. It use to be on old maps - the paper kind. I did submit my comments that perhaps Native People should do the renaming not more white folk.

"White saviorism"? Really? Try and do the right thing and still it isn't enough. Humans everywhere, of every make and model are difficult to please. Attempting to correct the wrongs of a past era with correction culture is inherently a positive gesture. One might applaud any attempt at reparations of grievous past sins. Such as a vaccine against small pox made available to all. Or a name change. "White savior" here. But mostly of non humans.

I grew up hearing about squaw peak in southern AZ -- never knowing the roots of the word.
Now it's called Piestewa Peak honoring a Hopi woman who gave her life in the army in Iraq -- definitely a better choice.

BTW... I was pleased to see my Kindle tag 'squaw' as a misspelled word just now. Small steps I guess.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:661882
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.