Agnostic.com

10 3

(Note: The following is a repeat of my last week’s blog at agnosticliberal.com for any of my followers or fellow members who may have missed it)

Heaven
As an Agnostic, I readily admit I don’t know for a certainly one way or the other concerning numerous religious-oriented issues. My tendency to express doubt admittedly colors my opinions, but I like to leave open the possibility I may be wrong.

That’s how I feel about a possible after-life in Heaven. I mostly doubt it, but don’t know for sure. I hope I don’t cease to be once my mortal existence terminates.

Should Heaven end up being a reality, I’m in the dark about what exactly that may entail. Organized religion leaves a lot of my wondering unanswered. The Bible mentions an abundance of gold and jewels of every variety, thrones, no more pain or suffering, the presence of God, the insignificance of earthly wealth, eternal life and other similar generalities; unfortunately, failing to provide the kind of specifics concerning me the most.

For example, what kind of government is going to be involved? Is it going to be an autocracy with the concept of democracy only a faint recollection? Are there going to be rules and regulations? How much personal freedom will be allowed? Is any kind of enforcement going to take place or will that be totally unnecessary?

How would our individual persona be affected? Would we all retain our earthly, easily- recognizable, physical appearances; the attractive and non- attractive remaining that way for the rest of eternity? That wouldn’t seem fair to the latter. Easy recognition, on the other hand, would seem to merit serious consideration.

Is there the intriguing possibility I would, all-of-a-sudden, be transformed into a babe magnet, or would any such improved makeover become moot, since all my competition would become equally magnetized?

I wonder exactly how morphing into a perfect body, not subject to mortal limitations, would function. Would sleep even be necessary? Would everyone remain awake 24/7. Would nourishing food even be necessary with three-squares-a-day being a relic of the past?

Would animals exist? If so, would they likewise live forever? Would dangerous varieties like lions, alligators and poisonous snakes be around and become completely harmless since they couldn’t harm anyone anyway? I suspect a steak and lobster dinner might be out of the question.

Since wealth would be a non-issue, could we build the house of our dreams at no cost. Could we locate it overlooking an ocean, which would be my preference? Or, would extravagant living conditions even be allowed in lieu of standard housing for all? Would oceans, lakes and rivers be part of a heavenly environment?

What would be the effect of mortal marriage? Would that carry over into Heaven? What if you married more than once? Would polygamy be the result? Would divorce be allowed if you got tired of living with the same mate for the rest of eternity? Could you marry someone else in Heaven?

What about children? For those who died young, would they resume their growth in Heaven? Will there be any sexual relationships, pregnancies or births? Or, will everyone end up being immediately transposed into perfectly formed adults relating to each other in only that manner for the rest of all time.?

Is golf going to be available? I’m not sure I want to go if it isn’t. If it is, will competition even exist? If everyone is perfect, does it mean all golfers are going to score equally flawlessly? That wouldn’t provide for much incentive for me to participate.

I could go on and on, but I think you get my concern about the lack of information about what a life in Heaven might involve. I’m sure there are those who want me to relax and stop worrying about the unknown; that, I’ll obviously be thrilled with however everything ends up.

To those, I respond they can relax if they so desire. That’s not the way my Agnostic curiosity works. If Heaven is a real possibility, I want additional detail now before I agree to commit
(Note: For any who may be interested, my weekly blog this week at agnosticliberal.com is on the topic of Mind-Control)

raymondahult 5 Apr 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why the Christian heaven? Why not Valhalla and Fólkvangr, or the Field of Rushes, or the Underworld?

You're a Pascal's wagerer variation, as many agnostics are. Instead of saying, I'd better believe in God in case there is one, you're thinking, I'd better say I'm not sure in case there's a heaven and I don't want to miss out.

"...an abundance of gold and jewels of every variety, thrones...."......."the insignificance of earthly wealth"....

WTF ??!???!?!? This is the buybull, Head Spinning Pinballs.

GIBBERISH

twill Level 7 Apr 24, 2022

I have no reason to think there is an afterlife, but it would be a nice surprise if there is and it's a nice place to be, and I don't have to mingle with the likes of Hitler, Josef Mengele, Dahmer, or my mean brother. If there is one I have doubts that it will be anything like what any religion describes. Many years ago a friend showed me a paragraph in the Bible describing what we will be doing up there, for the ones allowed in anyway, and it said that we are to sit at God's feet saying "holy holy holy", ad infinitum. I don't remember what version of the Bible it was, or where it is located inside it. Anyway, it sounds very boring, and what kind of god needs constant adoration like that anyway? If that's the only afterlife offered I'll pass.

That sounds really painful. R U sure he wasn't describing Hell?

@twill It would be hell for me.

Will you be joining us in conversation here?

skado Level 9 Apr 24, 2022

Yes, I always try to respond

The bottom line - You're promoting your own blog site. That's what you are doing here. 😛

Ryo1 Level 8 Apr 24, 2022

Exactly, what's wrong with that? I don't benefit from it in any way. It's simply a way to share info with other agnostics. What better source than agnostic.com to find other agnostics to share it with. Why don't you try it and comment on the content instead of worrying about the source?

@raymondahult Not all but many bloggers are narcissists. Good bloggers provide information that is from reliable sources and is thought-provoking, not dribbles of thoughts.

You’re jumping to a lot of unfounded conclusions if you’re trying to criticize my capability as a blogger and my motive in offering free access to my blog site at agnostiliberal.com

If referring to my blog on Heaven, it didn’t include information from any reliable sources because there wasn’t intended to be any. It was my own attempt at some original satirical comments intended to show how little is portrayed in religious scriptures about what a life in the fictitious Heaven might actually entail. Apparently, you weren’t capable of grasping that distinction.

If you’re indicating I’m a narcissist, you don’t know me well enough to know that one way or the other. A narcissist is defined as someone in “significant need for approval from others due to inadequacies that are real or imagined.” I’ll let the accomplishments in my life so far speak for itself. How about you?

Concerning my motive for openly offering by blog site to fellow members, I’m going to post another response to your innuendo that my purpose in being a member was some kind of devious attempt to benefit myself.

@TheMiddleWay I take a different view. Bloggers still need to do their homework; collecting information from reliable sources before they form their opinions. What's more, publishing their opinions and thoughts, no matter how personal, still comes with responisibilities and credibility.
As for the style, I can appreciate different styles. The manner in which a blogger expresses themselves is irrelevan to me.

P.s. So you left Slug, huh? 🙂

@raymondahult I made an observation rather than criticism. The purpose of blogging is not telling the world how wonderful your bloggs are. That's mere self-indulgence. 'What's in it for my readers?' is a very important question to ask before you start typing. I'm done here. Wish you well.

@TheMiddleWay I'm still there but practically inactive. I'm on the verge of leaving, too. Like you say, there is nothing in it for me.

I have no real issue promoting a blog that is relevant to Agnostic.com. If he has something to say that members are interested in, he will gett responses. If not, then he won't

if you can't know how can it matter.

Your probably right. What do they say about curiosity killing the cat?

Saying you really don't know about a God, or life after death is a total cop out. It is no different than saying "I don't know for sure if there is underground human like life on Mars". Of course you don't but there s no reason to believe there is.

@TheMiddleWay Exploring an idea is unrelated to my point.

@TheMiddleWay If you want to bicker about the possibility of an afterlife, have a nice day playing with yourself. The POINT was, and remains trying to say something cannot be proven or disproven, in no way suggests it must be considered.

@TheMiddleWay Where did I even suggest you "advocating that afterlife exists"? I didn't, so what is the purpose of the second sentence of your reply?

You exposed nothing, and I am justified in forming any opinon of something unknown.

Clearly the main problrm you have is you do love playing with yourself.

@TheMiddleWay I can easily appreciate why you are attracted to my posts. Each of my posts show a much greater understanding of the subject than you will ever be able to match.

Is English is a second language for you? I ask because the closing statement in your last post illustrates an inability to understand English.

@TheMiddleWay You are reading out of context. Try to apply some of the education you note.

@TheMiddleWay Either is correct, try again.

@TheMiddleWay Apparently you have nothing to do but feel free to make a big deal out of a typo. If you don't recognize the second "is" as a typo thrn you are slower than I thought.

@TheMiddleWay What is hilarious to you is boring to me. I find you a very strange person.

@TheMiddleWay Do you think I (or anyone) cares if you don't like my "picture"? This is a perfect example of how (1) you think your opinion is worthy, and (2) how boring you are.

@TheMiddleWay You are more self absorbed than I thought. Have fun playing with yourself. Apparently you haven't noticed, your comments are meaningless to me, but self fulfulling your needs are important.

@TheMiddleWay This the above reply another feeble attempt to show you have any degree of psychoanalysis wisdom?

Yawn.

@TheMiddleWay Yawn. Boring!

@TheMiddleWay I am more than sure, I am positive, that your little mind thinks you ar winning some game you have made up. You are not a habit, you are a target that is so easy, you are hard to pass up.

Keep on patting yourself on the back, your insecurities were exhibited some time ago. By the way I hear one should stop masturbating before one goes blind.

@TheMiddleWay Your childish remarks dererve comment because they illustrate your delight in yourself. Keep it up.

Are you improving your second language skills?

@TheMiddleWay Your self esteem runneth over. Here is the one simple rule: Eat me.

@TheMiddleWay I am retired, so I have lot of tie to go on the internet over any day. Apparently you are unemployed, else how could you have so much time? Sad.

@TheMiddleWay Maybe one day you will grow up.

When anyone talks about an afterlife I ask them what do they think goes there.When the brain dies and degrades all the memories,feelings, emotions etc die with it so it's a no go I'm afraid. Do you think there is some sort of celestial memory stick that transfers everything to the "cloud" ?

I always ask my self the same Question

How could you not be sure of a place in unknown territory that has a big gate and is surrounded by a wall. I think we should all go there after death. We would be safe inside or we might not be able to escape. We can sing praises to god and Jesus forever and ever. But wait. Jennifer Aniston meditates and says she is aware of the bigger picture. Does this mean she would do a special version of Friends for god? Would he like that and let her continue to entertain? After all, she has done a good job of this her entire lifetime. I had a friend die recently and another friend of mine who hated him is also dead now. Are they in heaven shaking hands? The big question would be is Heaven all about me alive forever and enjoying doing what i love best, or is it about pleasing and thanking god for allowing you to live forever.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:662469
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.