Agnostic.com

6 2

Oh boy! Politics, I know, are hazardous discussion fodder. But I swear this post is about Puritan attitude of blaming the poor for Gawd not blessing them.

The Republican's new tax plan, passed under cloak of darkness, is being rightly panned as an horrendous highway robbery of common folks to fund a massive giveaway to the rich.

But get a load of the justification by Sen. Chuck Grassley, -R:

"I think not having the estate tax recognizes the people that are investing,” Grassley (R-Iowa) told the Des Moines Register, “as opposed to those that are just spending every darn penny they have, whether it’s on booze or women or movies.”

Anyone else here bothered by that last line??? Did you catch how those struggling financially to survive have only themselves to blame? That they surely are pissing away their money on wanton (read: sinful) behavior? There's a Conservative assumption that Gawd blesses righteous people, and that poor people are enjoying just consequences of their immoral behavior. Though it's indirect, I absolutely blame American brand Christianity. Your thoughts"

MikeInBatonRouge 8 Dec 4

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"If you convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you." LBJ

I grew up in a family that would now fall under “alt-right” this is how they’ve always believed. It’s why I left the Republican Party as soon as I had my first child and I began to look at everything through the lens of humanity instead of my pocketbook. Weirdest thing is, we were dirt poor, yet we still believed this way. Looking back, I think my family voted Republican because they considered Democrats the party of minorities. As regarded money, the church taught us that all money we had, or didn’t have, was from god, not man. And that to demand equality monetarily was evil and selfish. If god wanted you to have money, he’d put you in a situation where you could earn it. I think Republicans who live in poverty are suffering from some sort of Stockholm Syndrome. Rich Republicans? They’re just selfish arseholes who love their money and know poor Republicans are too stupid to realize the claims to religion are just a way to keep them in power.

You are describing my family situation 50 years ago. In 1968, my father voted for George Wallace and my mother for Nixon. Today, as then, poor and marginally educated people feel absolutely overwhelmed and threatened by social changes they do not understand and are looking for anything possible to stop their image of a "runaway train." They simply do not understand that they "are being played like a fiddle."

The Republican party has lost all claim to morality, patriotism, and legitimacy.

Absolutely!

"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves" Best quote ever! America has one of the lowest voter turnouts of just about anywhere else in the world. Politics makes me sick. These sociopaths work for me, I don't work for THEM. There are not enough foul words in the English language for me to express my displeasure.

Your'e spot on with that assumption Mike. That the gist of it that I pick up also.

Brother thats deep for me right now!

I don't know...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6642
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.