Agnostic.com

4 16

... and I'm not particularly fond of Sec. Pete Buttigieg but he's dead on here.

redbai 8 May 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nailed it

bobwjr Level 10 May 14, 2022

The whole issue comes down to "personal reasons". 9 states and DC allow women to have third-trimester abortions for "personal reasons". Only 4 doctors in the entire USA will perform third trimester abortions for "personal reasons", so a very, very, small number of fetuses are aborted in the third trimester not for a defect in the child and not for the health of the mother.

Take away that loophole, and you have 80% or more of the voters behind you.

BD66 Level 8 May 14, 2022

Personal reasons means it none of your damn business as all medical procedures should be.

@redbai 81% of the people in this country believe aborting a third trimester baby who is healthy when the mother is healthy is their damn business:

[pewresearch.org]

@BD66 So quote the article where it says "81% of the people in this country believe aborting a third trimester baby who is healthy when the mother is healthy is their damn business"?

@redbai Look at the first graph in the link I provided.

@BD66 So you can't quote the article and you're simply making assumptions based on a chart that doesn't say anything about aborting in the third trimester. IOW, pulling shit out your ass - again.

@redbai When the woman does not want the child for any reason
2018 May 1-10 20 77 3
2003 May 19-21 24 74 2

[news.gallup.com]

[news.gallup.com]

[tampabay.com]

(only about 10% were in favor of legal third-trimester abortions).

[cnn.com]

@BD66 You seem to be totally oblivious to the fact that it doesn't matter. There was a time in this country where a large portion of the population had various opinions about slavery too. Those various opinions didn't make those who thought it was okay to own slaves any more right for doing so than if they were in the minority. They were wrong and anyone who believes they have a right to tell a woman how to use her body is also wrong and nothing but a vestige of when they were considered property.

If you think I'm going to go looking for your evidence of your claims in articles that you post without you quoting from those articles you are even dumber than I thought.

@redbai You asked me for evidence that 80% of the population did not believe third trimester abortions should be allowed.

I literally cut the text out of the articles, and provided you a link for each article so you could see for yourself.

If you aren't capable of hitting CTRL-F in your web browser, searching for "trimester" and verifying what I have said is 100% correct, it's hopeless.

@BD66 I did not ask for such evidence, you inserted it as if it was relevant. Since it is not relevant because a majority of people being wrong doesn't make them right it's just another example of you attempting to change the subject to a non-relevant point using fallacious reasoning.

@redbai This is a moral argument, not a mathematical argument. The idea of fallacious reasoning would be:

2 + 2 = 5

or

A^2 + B^2 > C^2 for a right triangle.

A moral argument is literally bringing people around to your point of view.

In 2003, 76% of the country believed:

You conceived the child. You carried the child for 6+ months without aborting it. You could induce labor right now, and the child would survive. Killing healthy 6+ month old fetus at this stage when your health is not at risk is very similar to murder.

In 2018, 80% of the country had that belief.

A small minority of people have been trying to convince the majority of the general population otherwise for the past 50 years, but they have been unsuccessful. 80% of the population still holds that belief.

If you have an argument that could convince those people their logic is wrong, you are welcome to share it, but it would have to be one heck of an argument to change many minds.

@BD66 This is one of those instances where you make a point that is irrelevant to the discussion and feel better about yourself.

@redbai Please define the discussion.

@BD66 Whether or not a woman has a right to control what happens to her body.

@redbai Let's say a woman is going into labor and decides "This sucks" then asks the doctor to suck out the baby's brain and crush his skull to make the delivery easier. Do you believe she should be able to do that?

@BD66 Now provide where that happened. You can't because it's not happening. But I get it, you have to use incredibly stupid and desperate scenarios to attempt to take away the rights of women. It's pretty disgusting.

@redbai You are talking about rights. Does a mother have the right to do that a few hours before she would deliver a healthy baby, or should she not have the right to do that? That's what you believed the discussion was about. Correct?

Here is an example of a healthy mother who chose to abort a healthy 28 month old baby. She had to go to one of 4 doctors in the USA who would perform the procedure:

That was true for Beth Vial, a college student from Portland, Ore., who didn't learn she was pregnant until she was about 26 weeks along, in the summer of 2017. "I just [burst] out crying. I didn't believe them because I was told that wasn't a possibility for me," she said.

Vial has some health issues — including a condition that disrupts her menstrual cycles — which can make conception unlikely and a pregnancy harder to diagnose. Doctors in Portland told her she was too far along for an abortion there.

Vial was 22 at the time. She had recently ended her relationship and said she was sure she did not want to continue the pregnancy.

"I was already having a tough time in my life in a lot of other ways and it just felt like one more thing I really couldn't bear, or provide for, and I was panicked, I guess," Vial said.

Vial found a clinic in New Mexico that told her they would end her pregnancy up until 28 weeks — the beginning of the third trimester.

She scrambled, with the help of family, friends and a nonprofit that helps women pay for abortions, to pull together the fee of more than $10,000.

"[There were] a lot of people telling me how they felt about my situation without me asking — friends, family, strangers," Vial said. "I mean, you tell someone that you're seven months pregnant and having an abortion, they've got some things to say."

[npr.org]

@BD66 A fetus does not have any special right to use someone else's body to make sure they stay alive. You can't force someone to use your body to stay alive and neither can I. No one outside a womb has that right so why should a fetus have that right? If the fetus in that woman was capable of staying alive outside of the womb it would be the medical facilities responsibility to keep that child alive. No woman should have to give someone else the right to decide if her body can be used to keep someone else alive. That's slavery.

@redbai

Not true.

A 7 month old fetus would survive if they induced labor. That's why it is illegal in 41 states to abort a healthy third trimester fetus unless the mother's life is at risk. That's why all the doctors in the United States except 4 refuse to perform third-trimester abortions on a healthy third trimester fetus. The 7 month old fetus that was killed in the New Mexico clinic would have survived if they had induced labor rather than aborting.

@BD66 What is "not true"? Since your medical expertise is questionable I couldn't care less about your opinion of any medical procedure used or not used..

@redbai What you said here:

"If the fetus in that woman was capable of staying alive outside of the womb it would be the medical facilities responsibility to keep that child alive."

is 100% false with respect to the New Mexico Abortion clinic. The woman from Portland could not find any doctor in Portland to kill her 7 month old fetus. She could have found plenty of clinics in Portland to induce labor and help with the medical care of the infant. She had to raise $10,000 dollars, and travel to New Mexico specifically to find a clinic that would kill her 7 month old fetus. Only 4 doctors/clinics in the entire United States would perform that procedure.

@BD66 I find your reading comprehension to be an excellent demonstration of obtuseness

What about that is relevant to the woman having a right to control their own body? You don't want to discuss abortions as if a woman has a right to decide what to do with her body you want to talk about side issues that allow you to ignore the woman's rights all to give a fetus rights that no born human being in the nation has.

The fetus does not have a right to use her body to stay alive if she doesn't want it to NO MATTER WHAT THE SCENARIO. If the fetus dies after the abortion that is not a matter concerning the woman who had the abortion. Your pathetic need to find a way to control women's bodies is disgusting.

@redbai

I'll make a simple analogy:

You and I have a right to control our own homes. We can decide who we want to let in to our homes. We can control a lot about what goes on inside of our homes. If we invite guests in to our homes, then we get tired of having them in there, we cannot kill our guests. We can show them to door, ask them to leave, and if they don't leave, we can call the police and have them removed.

The same goes for the mother of a healthy 7 month old fetus. She let the fetus in there for 7 months. If she wants the fetus out, she can induce labor and get the fetus out. 80% of the people in this country do not believe she has the right to kill the fetus. All but 4 doctors in this country refuse to kill the fetus.

@BD66 A home is not a woman's body so your analogy is bullshit. But again, you're desperate and apparently don't give a shit about women as human beings so you dehumanize them to make facile arguments. You're apparently not even empathetic enough to understand how disgusting your analogy is.

But I'll use your disgusting analogy to demonstrate that you're full of shit. She did not "let the fetus in there for 7 months". From your initial post regarding her scenario:

"[she] didn't learn she was pregnant until she was about 26 weeks along"

So it's more like someone has been living there without her permission, she finds out and tells them to get the hell out of her house. Am I surprised that you've either ignorantly or dishonestly changed the dynamics to imply she was aware of it all along to facilitate your BS? Not in the least, it's what you do.

Your 80% argument is also bullshit because majorities don't make things right. A majority of people on the planet believe in gods too, that doesn't make them real. You are using the "appeal to majority" fallacy and it's just as wrong here as it is in the possibility of a god.

@redbai

Sure, let's go with your analogy:

"So somebody has been living in your house without your permission"

You can tell them to get the hell out of your house.
You could call the police and have them arrested.
You can yell all kinds of obscenities at them, but you cannot kill them.

80% of the in this country believe the same thing about a healthy fetus that has been in a woman's body for the past 7 months.

20% of the people in this country believe you can kill the healthy 7 month old fetus.

Mayor Pete's argument is BS, because he did not address the killing of healthy third trimester babies.

You have made no additional arguments other than lobbing constant insults. Do you have anything to offer other than insults?

@BD66 Given that I pointed out that comparing women to a house is dehumanizing that's not my analogy but you rewording your bullshit. But again, you're dishonest so attributing that to me to avoid admitting the incredible flaw in your bullshit is an expected norm.

I don't need to add anything because, as I said, I agree with him. You haven't demonstrated him to be wrong in the least. You're just putting forth bullshit to justify ignoring the human rights of women.

@redbai 80% of the country believes:

After viability (After the infant could survive on its own), it's an issue of the human rights of the mother and the fetus (who could survive if you induced labor).

You are in the slim minority (20%) who believe:

After viability (After the infant could survive on its own), it's an issue only of the human rights of the mother and not the fetus (who could survive if you induced labor). Therefore the mother should be allowed to kill the fetus for "personal reasons".

Evidently you are so set in your thinking that it would be impossible for you to change your position, much in the same way those who believe the morning after pill should be illegal will likely never change their opinions.

You haven't made a single argument to me that would lead me to change my position and leave the 80% majority on that issue.

@BD66 Are you under the false assumption that I'm trying to change your mind? You should disabuse yourself of the notion as I couldn't care less what your personal opinion on anything might be.

A fetus doesn't have any rights that can impinge on the rights of the mother and the mother has the right to remove anything she wants to from her body. Anything else makes her nothing but a container to facilitate the birth or life of someone else and that's slavery. What happens to a fetus once it is removed from a woman is not her responsibility anymore than she would be responsible for what happens to a tumor once it's been removed at her request.

Your wallowing in a fallacy doesn't make it any more correct. Do you believe in a god given that a majority of people do or are you making some pathetic exception in this case as logic and reason don't facilitate your beliefs?

Just changed the mind of a coworker making almost the exact same point.

He would be a front runner in 2020 if he was not gay. America will not elect a woman for president for another 20 years and a gay for another 60 years... 3 times longer. We are not a progressive country. Someone like Bernie? Never. There America is a very sound thinking country.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:666370
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.