Agnostic.com

7 2

'Buffalo shooting' reached the UK across the pond. We only hear about major tragedies like this one, but how many other mass-shootings are there that we don't hear about? Are they increasing or decreasing? Is each state government or the federal government doing anything about them? Are you afraid that one day a mass-shooting or the like might happen in your neighbourhood, or are you desensitized and resigned?
[bbc.co.uk]

Ryo1 8 May 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As far as I am concerned, mass shootings in the USA are the norm. They are no longer newsworthy. What would constitute banner headline news is the complete absence of mass shootings for 12 months. They would show that the USA has abandoned its collective madness about firearms.

I am grateful that I live and have lived in the UK where firearms are effectively outlawed and Australia where they are properly controlled.

In Australia you don’t even have the right to carry a concealed weapon for self defense. In the US you do. I’ll take the US any day!!

I am desensitized (somewhat) and resigned. I am not afraid of being a victim of a mass-shooting because the odds are against it. That's the best excuse I've got.

My understanding is the US has about one multiple/mass murder per day, and two police murders per day. My estimate is the mass shooting rate has doubled in the last 5 years. But it may not be that bad. Shootings spiked and peaked during Trump's term, but sources seem to use different definitions. One source (Statista) lists 10 incidents in 2019 while CBS lists 417. Rand reports on this variation, but it's safe to bet that a higher number will be more accurate.

[statista.com]

[everytownresearch.org]

[en.wikipedia.org]

[cbsnews.com]

6 mass shootings this weekend alone. Six.

It's been getting worse ever since we had the nerve to elect a Black President. The right wing gun nuts have been detached from decency ever since. Of course much credit goes to the NRA and it's republican enablers. They've made sure the country is hopelessly awash in guns.
Funny how I didn't feel the need to go shoot people because of covid. It's just all more right wing ignorance and hatred.

That's false. Murder rates in the USA in 2019 were significantly lower than they were in 2008 when Obama was elected President. You need to start looking at data and stop following the false narratives being pushed upon you.

Mass shootings are increasing, especially racially motivated shooting sprees. I watched CNN last night and the hosts were taking turns reading off the U.S. Cities that have already had mass shootings THIS YEAR and many of them had more than one so far.

From my understanding of the situation, the extreme right wing radicalization efforts to create hatred and inspire these killings took off big time during the pandemic when loners were isolated even more and could so easily go down rabbit holes on social media networks spreading the lies. Seems to be a recipe offered toward seeking out cities and neighborhoods with a high concentration in the ethnic group the shooter is inspired to kill, and off he goes with encouragement from the hate groups.

I personally feel my community is safe from racially motivated crimes, especially from white supremacists, since whites are in the minority here.

I don't live near the big city, but we did have some racially motivated violence occur in Honolulu's Chinatown, during the pandemic when hatred was being spread (by Trump and others) against the asian community, even those born and raised here, and of course it was mostly young white men pushing elderly asian folks walking alone with their canes or walkers who got attacked. Latest one of those kind of attacks was this month, a young white male set the clothing of an elderly asian male on fire with a lighter, as the elderly man was shuffling along with his purchases down the sidewalk. Elderly man suffered burns around much of his torso.

We also have a small faction of QAnon in Hawaii, and the leader of the Hawaii Q branch was one of those arrested on J6. For the most part, knock on driftwood, my community is pretty safe likely BECAUSE of the racial diversity and acceptance we all have with each other.

@BD66 Oh, I thought the original post was about mass shootings, not arrests for murder. That's another topic, why whites are not arrested for murder as often as other races. Sticking to the topic of the OP and my comment, my points were about racially based mass shootings and the racial hatred being spread by the extreme right wing radicalization efforts.

@Julie808 Congratulations, your brainwashing by CNN is complete!

Your chances of being shot by a mass shooter are less than being struck by lightning. There always a few crazies who abuse gun rights just as they abuse their right to drive an auto. I feel safe in western Oklahoma and don’t worry about being killed by a mass shooter as those things are extremely rare but are used by the gun control nuts in an attempt to strip us legal gun owners of our right to own firearms.

Murder rates in the USA have been going down steadily since about 1992, but there was an uptick in 2020 due to Covid craziness.

As you can see, murder rates are much higher in big cities.

I live in a university town with a population of about 130,000, and I feel as safe as I ever was.

BD66 Level 8 May 16, 2022

Good to know.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:666653
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.