Agnostic.com

6 1

About dreams

Throughout history various people have been guided by dreams and visions. In the Old Testament, Joseph was famous as an interpreter of the Pharaoh's dreams.

Dreams are among the more mysterious experiences of being human. The subconscious having its say. Sometimes they are a fleeting vision, a whispering voice. Sometimes they are a fully produced Hollywood movie.

I myself treat them as entertainment and I diligently keep a dream journal. They are fodder for my work as well. I don't tent to freight them with great meaning, but I know that for some people they are strong portents.

Do you place significance on dreams?

SKDeitch 7 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Michio Kaku has a great explanation on what actually happens in the brain during REM sleep, and it's fascinating. One of the most interesting elements is that "your brain's fact checker rests while its emotional daredevil keeps roaring."

Source:

Agree with the mustache comment,

as to dreams....Yes and no ,sometimes they are just plain silly, sometimes scary and sometimes(rarely) quite profound.

A bit off the topic, but that is one good mustache you have !

What I learned of dreams ..decades ago in psychology, still appears true: dreams are your mind's way of preparing you for trama. They represent your fears and concerns, thus keep you from total panic if & when such events occur (paraphrased). With that, I’ve always held in contempt dreams described as ‘religious epiphanies.’

I can bring on dreams by eating a bowl of ice cream before bed, or having slept too long… Seems it takes quite the ego to claim one's dreams to represent more than the next persons ... though power-hungry manipulative ego-driven predatory flawed humans are inclined to proclaim anything that furthers their desires… Just don’t blame Dreams 🙂

Varn Level 8 Dec 5, 2017

Yes, dreams are going to very a lot, depending on individual anxieties, fears or trauma. I remember the the experiment leading to this conclusion; they’d show graphic car wreck scenes to the subjects, deprive half of them of sound sleep then expose everyone to the same scenes the following day. The ones having reached REM sleep showed a far lesser stress response (their dreams having allowed them to desensitise), while those not allow to obtain deep sleep exhibited the same level of distress.

Haunted by dreams like everyone else, I’ve attempted to follow further research on the subject, but none I’ve found dismisses what I’d learned back in college.

I guess a lot of people are curious about dreams. For me, they're a way for my brain to entertain itself while cleaning up. Whistling while vacuuming!

I love dreams and dreaming. Smoking pot has a negative effect on my dreaming, but I do it anyway.

Yes since I detailed on another post about dreams-I have repetitive dreams, continuous dreams, and prediction dreams. I look forward to my dreams-Though sometimes I am not fully dressed in those dreams and I'm embarassed?

I think I must have been in one of them. Was wondering why you ran off.

yes -they have come true-on the other post

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6679
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.