Agnostic.com

6 7

The blatant and persistent refusal of Congress to do anything about the mass murder of children in its country shows that it is corrupt. Congress is clearly not going to address the issue of its own corruption. What will it take to clean up Congress?

anglophone 8 May 27

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Once a Christian, always helpless.

I have used “Once a Catholic, always helpless.” There is some truth in it.

Lobotomies for republicans

It used to be that one could vote and change out members of Congress. The Republicans (and Koch industries) have contrived a campaign on enacting voter suppression and election suppression laws in the last year, so the US should now be officially regarded as a fascist state.

I agree. Tragically, the US is deprived of democracy because of them. I think it has never been a completely functioning democracy historically though. There has been brilliant progress, which has been destroyed because of them. I saw voter suppression was coming since several years ago. The gerrymandering and cumbersome I.D. changes started several years ago. I wondered why it wasn't being protested and legally challenged more. I've heard/read that they've planned covertly to prevent the exercise of democracy for decades.

Exactly. How can we expect it to behave in an intelligent manner regarding its behaviour in other countries such as Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Serbia, Ukraine, Russia, Venezuela, Chile & a mass of other countries when it won't do anything about the lunacy occuring in its own Capitol & country?

I don't know, but I hear guns are really easy to get.

I'm probably weird to wonder why religious people haven't gone to D.C. and to the governments in their states, and held the biggest mass protests about guns still being available to mass murder many more innocents. What makes them sit in their churches doing nothing.

People may grumble and be ineffective as individuals, but my guess is that all it would need is a catalyst to get things going. One strong person who has the communication skills to "speak to people's hearts" (translation: organise them into a strong cohesive group) is all it would take. Such a person has plenty of material available to them, including but not limited to the Second Amendment read in its entirety and Ted Cruz's outrageous lies about the USA being the safest country on this planet.

The majority, especially through the middle of the country are rabid gun owners, Fox News devotees, and fear their government more than guns. They would turn out in droves against any restrictive gun laws, but just send thoughts and prayers to the victims of guns. A TV station in Texas even cut Jimmy Kimmel’s plea for stricter laws off their broadcast.

@Barnie2years
They are so stubborn. Apparently they're so fused with unenlightened thinking that they need repeated shocks from uncontrollable chaotic events on a much larger scale than they've imagined. There would be much more disease and death. Reality might become total anarchic armageddon with everybody attacking, stealing necessities, and killing each another with weapons & traps are everywhere. They'll try martial law. Would politicians get tired of the world they allowed to be created? Or would they still deny they had any part in creating that? They would gradually lose their freedoms and powers too. You can't rule over a world that doesn't believe the political lies. I'm at a loss for solutions to change the gridlock.

@anglophone
Yes I think we need some good mass movement leader(s).
We need repeated demonstrations, marches, protests by millions.
Who knows how to do that and has the initiative and connections to begin and continue that? I live with someone who lived through the Cuban revolution at a young age, but later didn't approve that it turned into another dictatorship. One type of dictator was only replaced with another type. Cuba's government has contributed amazing humanitarian medical good in the world and protected the environment in their country, but mismanaged their food production infrastructure a lot too. Around 2000, we met and had a lot of conversation with Cuban artists and musicians whom Cuba allowed to visit the US to share the culture. I protested the Vietnam War in the 60's in San Francisco. My family protested for black civil rights and for the ERA in the 60's and 70's.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668449
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.