Agnostic.com

10 25

Treat men who want to buy a gun like a woman wanting an abortion.

I especially like the forced ultrasound wand up the ass.

Make him walk through a gauntlet of people holding up photos of loved ones who were shot to death, people calling him a murderer, and begging him not to buy a gun.

LiterateHiker 9 May 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I suggest it is time for the USA to overhaul it's gun laws bringing them in line with modern weapons. For this to happen all three branches of government will have to start acting together.
Classify weapons and their uses. From little pop guns, muskets, bolt action rifles, shot guns, revolvers, automatics, sub-machine guns and so on.
Military grade weapons must be held only by members of County and State militias.
Then in stages, introduce Federal laws so each State will over time come into line with the same base laws all over the country.
All firearms to become licenced and for those who hold military grade firearms to attend at their own expence at least two militia camps where their fitness and competency with arms will be tested. Failure will result in the immediate removal of said Militia status and guns.

I am aware that this may exclude old fat white guys from owning assault weapons.

@Sofabeast What's the downside?

@alliwant If I were a Merican it would exclude me!

Actually , in order to get a gun legally , I had to take a class , which included shooting at a target , proper handling of a gun , and a written test , then I had to apply for a permit which included a full legal background check , which required a several weeks wait , Then I had to take my license permit with me to the gun shop .

Brilliant

Could work

bobwjr Level 10 May 28, 2022

The wand is a nice touch.😈
What puzzles me are all the gun owners who are not out there killing but want access to these assault type weapons all in the name of the 2nd and their personal freedom, who are a minority in this country, yet want the rules bent to them against a majority who want to live life in all aspects without fear of getting shot up by someone who is clearly unstable and perhaps just wants to die while taking as many with them and creating fear.

I don't see it as that puzzling in that I tie it back to the fact that I don't hear discussion (anywhere) of applying the political philosophy concept of governments, in some systems, as having a "monopoly on the legal use of force". It is, in my opinion, this principle which is at stake, when we talk about so-called "gun rights". If we in the US are not willing to discuss the most basic principles and issues at stake when it comes to guns, then I think it's logical that we have conversations that never really get anywhere.

For those not familiar with it, this is the principle I am referring to:

[en.wikipedia.org]

In my own words, it is a way of looking at the reason-for-being of government, to act as a response to the age-old problem of humans living in proximity to each other, having disagreements, and, if unable to resolve the disagreements by conversation, having no recourse other than direct physical conflict. If they are innovative, they may decide to agree in effect to have the disagreements resolved, by mutual agreement, by the community, acting under mutually agreed laws. If they do go down this path (i.e.: agreeing to live under a community governed by laws and not by the whims of individuals), then the next logical step is, by agreement, they place the means of enforcement into the hands of those enforcing the laws.

There are plenty of nuanced interpretations one might make of this, and it is unclear how much and in what ways it fully applies in the US, and whether (or in what ways) the 2nd Amendment contradicts it, but what I'm saying is that it's a principle that should be discussed and understood deeply by Americans seeking for the country to get to a better place with gun laws.

@kmaz I agree - we do need to get to the coherent discussion part.

If you're pointing out the hypocrisy of the religious right, I'm right there with you. Women should be treated with the utmost dignity, respect, and privacy when making this life-changing decision.

If you're suggesting that we liberals should start making pariahs out of customers at gun shops (who, I must emphasize, are overwhelmingly good, law-abiding people, many liberals like myself who just enjoy shooting & collecting and/or who feel the need to be trained and prepared for self-defense if the incredibly unlikely should come to pass)... well, I can't agree with you there. Sorry.

Not a new idea, but good for the conversation.

Would you make the same requirements of women who want a gun?

YES!!!! Anyone who wants to buy a gun, regardless of gender or skin color or age.

Food for thought.

and treat their dealer like an abortion doctor complete with protests in front of the shop (and maybe harassment from state authorities? ... i'm not sure what the usual treatment is there)

kmaz Level 7 May 28, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668591
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.