Agnostic.com

13 16

Dreadful first date with a Trump Supporter. September 2017

I got dressed up for THIS?

My date was awful. At a restaurant, I spent an hour arguing with an ignorant, opinionated man who insisted that being politically correct is unfair to white men. "Blacks call each other 'nigger,'" he said. He says white men are being discriminated against. Wrong.

What's more, he hates and resents the government. Says our government should not pay for birth control. Hates the legal system. Blames the legal system because his daughters will not talk to him since the divorce five years ago. Wrong.

I explained protected groups under the Civil Right Act of 1964 and why they are protected. He claims America is more polluted than ever. That black crime is terrible. Muslims celebrated 911. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong.

At first I enjoyed countering his arguments, particularly citing the Civil Rights Act. He couldn't argue with that. All of his bullshit didn't come out at once. As a retired human resource director, I'm good at drawing out people.

But an hour of arguing left me nauseated. I could barely eat.

"Thanks for lunch," I said leaving him with the bill. "Goodbye." Felt relieved to leave.

This is what we Democrats are up against.

LiterateHiker 9 May 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

13 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Kathleen; even I don't bother with trumpanzees. This one must have snuck up on you.

I just have no time or patience for this BS at all anymore. I realize I tend to put myself in a bubble but it's far easier on my BP

Sounds to me like he had an emotional screen in place -- likely because of people's reactions to him in the past.

This was a first meeting(tm). He would presumably have been trying to learn about you and been trying to show you what was best about him. How did an emotional discussion about politics with racial overtones even get started?

If that was such a dominant part of his worldview that he wore it constantly like a sign then he was beyond help. And you were best off getting away from him and minimizing any damage you might (guilt or whatever) have suffered.

BTW... How are you feeling? I notice that you recounted a memory rather than told a current adventure.
Are you treating yourself comfortably? How are you doing?

@RichCC

I'm fine, thank you.

Largely recovered from COVID-19. Just have a runny nose and tiredness.

He started the discussion by saying white men are being discriminated against. I was so shocked, I asked why he thought that.

@LiterateHiker
Very good.

Wow, he really takes the cake for being offensive!

When I was meeting guys for dating online I would limit the first "meet and greet" to "coffee" or just a walk or something. I like an easy getaway.

I don't think I could have stomached a whole meal trapped in a conversation like that. I remember a few where I decided within a few minutes that it was not a match and said so, and left to go enjoy the rest of my day. Not going to waste my time or be seen with someone like that.

I no longer do the online dating thing, but that's a good warning to keep to my short and sweet meets, if I were to ever try it again.

Phew, took me a minute to realize that was back in 2017, likely before most of us knew just how depraved and ignorant the far right could possibly be. I know you have learned much since then, but I am still nauseated at just re-living your story!

Doesn't he know that white men can call each other 'honkies' ? I wonder why he feels discriminated against.

I've had to many of those dates. It's like arguing with an inanimate object. I don't bother any more. I just screen them first for Trump Derangement Syndrome and then send them this

Weren't you being just a tad masochistic? I mean...you HAD to have known what you were walking into. Curious minds want to know. 😂

@phoenixone1

Nope, I had no idea.

He was fine on the phone. He lives in my town.

@LiterateHiker oh well...you win some...then there are morons. You need a list of interview questions that are more revealing...things like..."Would you join me at a Fundraiser for Kamila Harris"...or..."Do you think Dr. Fauci will stay for another 4 years"...things to draw out the nutjobs. 😂

Well, it was 5 years ago, hopefully you've learned since then. You're still trying, I admire your tenacity. I don't know if I will ever try again, Nebraska has a dreadful Republican governor and I think I've met most of the single liberal men in my area. I'm not holding out hope for a miracle.

He's a Trump supporter, don't expect anything else

bobwjr Level 10 May 29, 2022

@bobwjr, @silverotter11

On dating sites, Republicans try to get into my pants.

"If you are a Trump supporter, hit the back button NOW" didn't work.

Adding this photo worked perfectly.

@LiterateHiker Democrats will try that too. Republicans are ignorant, but anyone can be a jerk.

@LiterateHiker You are too attractive. They don't read your profile . As soon as they see your picture for them nothing else matters.

I hope you got a decent meal out of it.

@jlynn37

I picked the restaurant. But arguing with him left me nauseated.

Clearly, he knew better than to put any of his real self in his profile. I tried dating sites and i was right out front, far right, religious and trump supporters do not waste your time, I am not interested.
I once thought an intelligent exchange was possible - 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣.

Why the heel did you not get up and leave? Your stomach is much stronger than mine.

@dalefvictor, @Garban

At first, I enjoyed countering his arguments, particularly explaining the Civil Rights Act of 1964. He couldn't argue with that.

All of his bullshit didn't come out at once. As a retired human resources director, I am good at drawing out people.

I am remembered of the Movie, "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo." A movie about catching a person who committed a crime against a woman. The main character has a conversation with the criminal where the criminal says, "Yes, they all come as they are afraid they may insult, everyone, walks right into the trap." Or something like this. Do not be afraid to insult someone as it is the time you are wasting. Life is short and you own noone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:668878
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.