Agnostic.com

4 2

The shooting at Uvalde is bringing forth many concerns. So far the police have blamed several people for acting improperly. Supposedly, a teacher left a door open, thus allowing the shooter to enter. This has now been determined to be incorrect, the teacher did all and what she was supposed to do.
Ted Cruz wants one door to be open with armed police at this door, thus any shooter could not get through the door. What happens when a shooter goes through a window, cuts the lock or drives through the door, and enters. How many children can be shot before the police at the front door hear what is happening, determine what to do and the get to the point where the shooter is and deal with him. I would not want to have to determine how many people were shot while this plan was being implemented.
Many other people have come up with ideas like arming the teachers, putting strong doors in place, having the police travel the hallways looking for armed shooters, and other ideas.
All I see is that these ideas take the responsibility for doing anything away from the police and putting it on the shoulders of the teachers. the students. Responsibility thus is put on those who should not have to perform this duty. The police are supposed to do their jobs, which the protecting of children is supposed to be one.
Another concern I am having is that all the responses I have heard from Conservatives have to do with the schools, the teachers and the students, not the police. What is being done is the school is being made an unsafe place for children to be. So what is to happen with the children? Apparently, they are supposed to go to non-public schools where the state and federal government do not have to pay money to for support of the teachers, buildings and students.
I would like to hear thought of others who may actually have a good idea that will work to solve this problem. I do not think taking guns away from people is an actual answer. The reason for this is that all it will do is allow people who are good to place their guns to be destroyed. (or sold). Everyone who wants to have a gun and a load of ammo will have them, hidden and ready for use. Thus the adage, if guns are illegal then only criminals will have guns. A stupid statement that means absolutely nothing. Crazies and criminals will always have what it takes to allow them to be what they are.

dalefvictor 8 June 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I hope you do not think I am recommending any of the ideas posted above. I am trying to get comments, I guess I am. I sure do not want anyone to think I stand behind any of these ideas. The only way anything is going to work is to take the guns away from everyone. Of course trying to do this would start a war.

I think the answer is to get manufacturers to stop producing the AR 15 for civilian use. I am a gun owner and I don’t have a problem with people owning guns. But what I have a problem with is guns that should be only in the hands of military personnel. AR 15s and guns like them are manufactured to kill a lot of people very quickly, no civilian needs that type of gun in their hands. You can’t hunt with it because it destroys the animals body so why bother hunting?The problem is those type of guns. I do believe those type of guns should not be available for civilian use.

Turning our schools into prison-life fortresses is insane. What next? School uniforms will be made out of kevlar?

Arming teachers? They're teachers, not bodyguards or security personnel. They're educators. This is an utterly insane solution.

The solution? Much much stricter gun laws with gun registration and permits done on a national database. Limits on number of firearms that a person can own, the types of firearms that a person can own, and the quantity of ammunition that a person can own. No gun ownership or gun permits to those with severe mental illness or those with history of violent crimes. Lastly, stricter punishments for those who violate gun ownership laws.

But, little or nothing will actually be done. Republicans will blame everything EXCEPT guns. Democrats will be blocked from getting anything changed.

I think having red flag laws would be a big help as well. That way family members or friends of people who are not in their right mind can be reported and guns will not get in their hands hopefully because of red flag laws.

Just my 2 cents.

While there can be a case made for the slowness to respond.. to blame anyone but the shooter himself is like saying the pedestrian who was run over by the drunk driver is at fault for not getting out of the way.

It’s a complete misdirection away from the reality that this person was able to get a weapon.. period. Anything else is pathetic lip service to the problem at hand.

You cannot expect White police officers to protect Black, Hispanic, Asian, Jewish or Muslim children (nor adults).

That, my friend, is rather harsh. Innocents are innocents no matter the color of their skin or the deity they worship, or if they worship none at all. Not only can we expect white police officers to protect all citizens, we demand no less. When a fireman (whether white or belonging to any other ethnicity) hears screams coming from a burning building, they don’t stop to ask what ethnic group the occupants belong to before rushing in! The same should be expected of our law-enforcement personnel. What is the motto? To serve and protect.

@p-nullifidian So revisiting the Rittenhouse case, when police hear shots and see a young White man walk away from a BLM protest carrying a rifle, they just exchange thumbs up. Then a MAGA judge manipulates the trial so the killer is released.

I certainly wish it were otherwise. It should be as you say. But it isn't.

But Uvalde simple repeats the theme, except you have dozens of police stand around, seeing their duty as being to PREVENT parents from acting to protect their children.

What do you think is going to happen in November when White police work with their state officials to overturn or fully invalidate all the voting in non-White districts? At gun-point...

@racocn8 Rittenhouse shot other white guys. Guys who resented seeing him walking around carrying a loaded rifle. Of course, being 17 at the time, this was illegal, even for him, but the way the law is constructed, he could (and did) assert that he was being threatened by people who wanted to take away his weapon and perhaps even use it against him.

Your final paragraph regarding white police assisting an assault on democracy is, to me at least, beyond the pale.

@p-nullifidian I wish it was beyond the pale. It should be. And yet the Red state GQP have been working hard to subvert the 2022 and 2024 elections. If a MAGA mayor and police chief will stop the intervention of a shooter, how much easier will it be to help corrupt officials destroy the election. As Florida goes, the others will follow.

"Florida Governor Ron DeSantis signs bill creating election police force"

[cbsnews.com]

@racocn8 I’m not angry with what you’re saying, personally, but what the report says!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:669421
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.