Agnostic.com

9 5

LINK Will Science Someday Rule Out the Possibility of God? | Live Science

(I think it pretty already has...)

Over the past few centuries, science can be said to have gradually chipped away at the traditional grounds for believing in God. Much of what once seemed mysterious — the existence of humanity, the life-bearing perfection of Earth, the workings of the universe — can now be explained by biology, astronomy, physics and other domains of science.

snytiger6 9 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No and there is no reason for it too. Humanity may get to a point where religion (i.e. god worship) may become obsolete but there is no point in working towards the elimination of gods, they make great characters in fiction.

redbai Level 8 June 11, 2022

We can only hope for the best. It seems slowly going to science and real things. I'm so glad I left the delusional bs behind nearly 5 years ago.

The article does rather beg the question of "Which God?", assuming as it does the Abrahamic god.

The assorted holy books gave answers to questions that people seem to find important, but we now know that those answers are wrong as we know have answers that are less wrong.

I find it telling that Christian apologists all go silent very suddenly when I point out that it is trivial to show that the God of the Bible cannot exist.

You often get the apologists, asking for disproof of some vague, often deist, god concept. Such as, god is not literal but just a synonym for the "prime cause", or god is "the whole of nature". Then when no disproof appears, as fast as light, they jump to talking about their own particular theist god, hoping presumably, that if they do it fast enough, nobody will notice the jump.

It is a trick, that will certainly not fool well informed sceptics, but it certain could, and does, take in many naive and innocent victims. Which brings me to one of my own common thoughts, which is. What sort of an ideology, and moral system, requires to be supported by cheap trickery, and shabby attempts to fool the innocent with fake logic ?

Therefore in my mind, and in many ways I think. The best evidence against god, is the evidence used in favour of god.

(Like this, may post it.)

science.... or a small dose of common sense

Leetx Level 7 June 9, 2022

Science, the place that all gods go to die.

No the god of the gaps will always remain, because no matter how well you search, there is always somewhere to hide. It is just that as the gaps in human knowledge get smaller, so must god. Which means that if a god really did exist, then his main property is that he keeps on shrinking, getting smaller and smaller all the time.

Done centuries ago technically.

Science requires a testable hypothesis, and a repeatable ,test that confirms or disconfirms the hypothesis.

Explaining is not sufficient.

Subscription magazines muddy the thinking

Try making a testable hypothesis about a god.

No, by definition science can neither prove nor disprove the existence of an invisible supernatural being. That being said, by the early 19th century science had shown there was simply no need to invoke the supernatural to explain the Universe and our existence. That people still believe in their invisible superfriend isn't going to be changed by further scientific refinement of our understanding of the Universe.

Science has provided free thinkers reason to place the PROBABILITY of God's existence at vanishingly small. Will we ever be able to rule it out entirely? Probably not. In a big universe, you can't prove the non-existence of something. Especially if by definition that something defies observation.

Well said.

People who are desperate enough will accept a vanishingly small probability.

How does a government make people desperate enough?

The American way is to leave capitalism unregulated.

@yvilletom To be fair, there have been waves of regulation. But the corporate interests have bought a lot of politicians, and successfully rolled back many regulations. Also, the economy has developed and changed rapidly, and regulations have not kept pace with the changes. We went from an agricultural economy to an industrial economy to a financial economy to an information economy...with overlaps of course...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670722
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.