Agnostic.com

4 8

LINK Brookings girl finds tracer in car

BROOKINGS, S.D. (Dakota News Now) -A girl in Brookings was going about her day when she found a tracking device under the hood of her car.

This happened as her dad was looking at her car.

“The car was at my house, my dad was working on it, we had some stuff happening with the engine, the hood was open, and he had thrown some bolts up right where that hatch is,” said Angelina Jennen.

This was when he noticed something out of place

“When he checked he thought he saw a paint chip, because it was small and white just like my car until he looked at it and it said tile on it,” said Jennen.

They soon realized it was a small tracking device that someone had slipped under the hood of her car.

She said they immediately reported it to the authorities in Brookings.

Josh Phillips with the Minnehaha Sheriff’s Department says it is always important to be aware of your surroundings.

“Always know where your surroundings are, always keep in contact with your close friends and family, let them know where you’re going. None of that ever hurts and if you see anything suspicious always call,” said Capt. Josh Phillips, Minnehaha Sheriff’s Department.

Becky Rasmussen, executive director for Call to Freedom agrees and says it’s easy to be located through technology in this day in age.

“People are looking to victimize people today and the reality is that not everybody has good intentions for individuals. You talk about social media, you talk about tracking devices, you talk about how they connect with you,” said Becky Rasmussen, executive director for Call to Freedom.

Authorities are searching for whoever did this.

HippieChick58 9 June 9

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well if it wasn't her parents tracking her, maybe a jealous boyfriend or a private detective. So many ways people can track others nowadays. Whether it's dangerous or a mistrust/control thing, it's sad when a person can track another person for nefarious reasons and without the trackee's knowledge.

There are legitimate reasons to track someone for health safety reasons, with their knowledge. My neighbor falls sometimes and her smart watch can sense it and asks if she's okay and if she doesn't respond, it automatically calls her husband and/or an ambulance to her location.

But tracking someone's car or purse as you've posted before is creepy! These tracking devices are new to me, and I'm curious how one would find out who is doing the tracking and how to tell if it's been deactivated or no longer working.

Seems there needs to be a law about this type of tracking -- since it's different than people being willingly tracked by their phones, social media, etc. Glad I have such an uninteresting life now and anyone wanting to track me would fall asleep waiting for my car to move.

Most likely put there by someone she knew, that would certainly be the first pool of suspects to check out.

Your cell 0hone is a tracking device, duuuuuuuhhhhh

"Always know where your surroundings are.".. oh those savvy police media spokespeople. But awesome advice at the best of times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:670785
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.