Agnostic.com

2 8

LINK Letters From An American 06/18/2022

Heather Cox Richardson

Of all we have heard at the hearings of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol, Judge J. Michael Luttig’s testimony on Thursday stands out. Luttig is a leading conservative thinker, a giant in Republican legal circles, who worked in the Reagan administration, was appointed by President George H. W. Bush to a federal judgeship, and was on the short-list for a Supreme Court seat during President George W. Bush’s term. In January 2021, then–vice president Mike Pence’s staff turned to him for support to make sure Pence didn’t agree to count out electors; Luttig opposed the scheme absolutely.

Luttig’s words carry weight among Republican lawmakers.

On Thursday, Judge Luttig examined the ongoing danger to democracy and located it not just on former president Donald Trump and his enablers, but on the entire Republican Party of today, the party that embraces the Big Lie that Trump won the 2020 election, the party that continues to plan to overturn any election in which voters choose a Democrat.

“[T]he former president and his party are today a clear and present danger for American democracy,” Luttig reiterated to NPR’s All Things Considered.

And, as if in confirmation, delegates to a convention of the Texas Republican Party today approved platform planks rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States”; requiring students “to learn about the dignity of the preborn human,” including that life begins at fertilization; treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”; locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9; getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes; abolishing the Federal Reserve; rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment; returning Christianity to schools and government; ending all gun safety measures; abolishing the Department of Education; arming teachers; requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”; defending capital punishment; dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered; protecting Confederate monuments; ending gay marriage; withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization; and calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.”

Luttig said that Republicans must start speaking to Democrats as ”fellow Americans that have a shared destiny and shared hopes and dreams for America.” “We cannot have in America either political party behaving itself like the Republican Party has since the 2020 election.”

I’ve been thinking a lot since Thursday of Luttig’s clear-eyed view of the dangers we face in this country today, and of his willingness to cast aside old political loyalties to call them out in order to protect our democracy. They remind me of nothing so much as Abraham Lincoln’s description of the way northerners reacted to the 1854 passage of a law permitting the spread of enslavement into western lands from which it had previously been excluded. The passage of that law woke up Americans who had not been paying attention, and convinced them to work across old political lines to stop oligarchs from destroying democracy. Northerners were “thunderstruck and stunned; and we reeled and fell in utter confusion. But we rose each fighting, grasping whatever he could first reach—a scythe—a pitchfork—a chopping axe, or a butcher's cleaver” to push back against the oligarchic enslavers, Lincoln later said. Regardless of where they started politically, they stood up for democracy together. And while they came from different parties, he said, they were “still Americans; no less devoted to the continued Union and prosperity of the country than heretofore.”

Over the course of the next decade, that new coalition argued and struggled and took the nation in an entirely new direction. It fought and won a war that involved more than two million men and cost more than $5 billion, established our first national money, welcomed immigrants, created public colleges, invented the income tax, gave farmers land, built transcontinental railroads, and—finally—ended human enslavement in the U.S. except as punishment for a crime for which a person had been duly convicted.

And, of course, it saved the nation from those seeking to destroy it.

“[T]o my knowledge, I’ve never spoken publicly a single word of politics,” Luttig told NPR about his extraordinary statements. In a later note he added: “I wanted to do this for America and I understood I had an obligation to do it for America. It was my ‘moment’ in my life to stand up, step forward, and bear witness to what I believe and what I do not believe.”

HippieChick58 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He needed to make this kind of statement 5 or 6 years ago, before the Trumplicans, like a hyper growing cancer, took over the core of the Republican Party. But even then, maybe it was too late. The tumor really started to metastasis when the shock of a black president winning the office of president caused the Southern whiter to go into full panic mode. Their hate and fear, thanks to the catalyst of Fox News and social media, spread fear to white enclaves everywhere that they might have to shave their privilege with people of different ethnic values and skin colors.
I doubt at this point that the judges words will penetrate the wall of hate that has taken over the current Republican Party. Unless the Democrats and progressive independents come out in force for the next couple of elections, especially this year and 2024, our country will be as much a democracy as Russia and China within the decade.

B4 I logged ontoAgnostic I looked through the news feeds and found this.
[rawstory.com]

I do wish the people who watch and listen to right wing media would broaden their viewing and listening outlets. While I may not be able to get through very much of some of the stuff the right puts out I am aware of it.
Yesterday the first thing I saw was the story about Biden falling off his bike. Being a rider myself I thought, "I bet his foot got hung up on the peddle". Yep, I had to weigh through several threads before I found that I was indeed correct, but there were the junk headlines proclaiming dire reasons why he fell.

So when I saw the headline to the article on Luttig I just had to read it because I was aware of how the right was sorta trashing the man.

My former husband listens exclusively to Fox and is webmaster for a xian website. Our daughter who is essentially my clone gives him transportation to family gatherings. Last time she and her ultra liberal uber intelligent husband drove him to a family gathering, ex decided to debate her husband in the car. I had lunch with them afterwards and son in law was fuming!!!! The debate continued by text after lunch. I generally do not interfere with kidlets and their dad, however I did suggest to my daughter that she set boundaries with her dad. I don't want to see SIL with a heart attack. I suggest no discussion of religion or politics in the car, and if her dad can't do that, then he can drive himself. It had not occurred to her to set boundaries. I am looking forward to see how this plays out. Ex HATES getting his wings clipped, I only wonder if he hates driving himself more. And with the way he drives, it won't be long until he has enough tickets that he wont' be driving at all.

@HippieChick58 I had to set the same boundaries with my twin sister. I am on the west side of the U.S. and she is on the east side of U.S. We never did a lot of chatting but in the last 6 months we messaged via FB twice. Oh well.

Thanks for posting this link, it is important that people realize just how sincere he was being.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:672494
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.