Agnostic.com

12 4

Why do seniors feel that they are entitled to free things? Only if they are extremely rude about it?

I like that seniors can get discounts, but the way that a lot of seniors demand/ask for a free senior drink, makes me not want to give it to them. Or anywhere they hand out senior discounts.

I didn't know that this rude regular was allowed to have 2 free senior drinks. First he caught me in the middle of changing the freestyle machine syrups out. He came around 3:30ish for his usual small chili and plain potato. (I hope he has health insurance for when his gal bladder gets enlarged with gal stones? It happened to someone I knew who ate Wendy's for 1 year straight. He had his gal bladder removed at age 18.) He didn't ask for a senior drink. So I went back to the freestyle and fixed it. Then he came and was all, "My drink?!" I said, "What drink did you want?" "My senior drink. It's free anyways." (I never say anyways, I say anyway) I handed him a cup. He asked for butter and sour cream. I guess I didn't hear him say 3 of each. Just for butter and sour cream. (I have good hearing) He pointed that out. At that point, I wanted him to take his shit and go! I left the freestyle machine open some customer was trying to use it. I quickly stopped her and fixed it before she messed it all up. Thanks to him rudely waiting at the register me in the middle of trying to refill syrups for the customers. No one else but that lady was there at that time. Then I was cleaning the dining room. He said he's allowed a senior coffee as well?! (1 hr later) I didn't know that. When he orders every day, I'm always on another position. I make the potato for him, or I'm clocked out already. I've never taken his order before. I asked my manager because seniors only get one drink per senior. She said, "Yes, he's allowed 2 senior drinks." I asked, "Why?" She's all, "Just give it to him. He's a regular!" Lol. I made his coffee. He asked for 6 creams. He sat there for an hour eating the potato and small chili. (I made the coffee fresh, even though it was hot enough to serve. I didn't need to hear more complaints.)

Anyway, it was a good day with jokes and laughter. Although that guy was rude to me, I wasn't trying to be rude to him. I did apologize if I was rude to him. Although I really wasn't rude. Oh well, I guess the unhealthy regulars get free shit? ? I worked 7 hrs. Good night. ?

Sarahroo29 8 Apr 26

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a sertified cenior (er certified senior) I consider the term "senior" to be un- PC! I much prefer Geezer or Old Fart. I eat at a fast food joint 3 times a week minimum. I do it for the company of friends whom I meet there and because my wife and I tend to be lazy & crappy cooks. On Sundays, Wednesdays and Fridays we meet for conversation and lunch with friends. It is like a 2nd home to us and (in our mildly senile way) tend to think of the people behind the counter as our kids. Some of them do know us and put up with us - which, of course, makes us think they all know us.

I think I know the guy who gave you the problem. He lives in the same Old Fart appartment complex as I do. He is very shy. Normally I can get no more than a "hello" from him. Occasionally he will seem to be longing for a conversation and go on for quite a while. He has a car but walks or takes the bus everywhere. I suspect he generally walks about 20 miles a day at least. Wendys' is part of his regular route. He gets a cheap ice cream cone and any senior discounts he can. Since he is there he assumes everyone knows him & will be sure he gets the extra stuff. He is not a jerk - just old, lonely, and and lacking social skills.

You live in CO Springs?

Maybe he had PTSD

Idk?

I resemble that remark!

Athos Level 5 Apr 27, 2018

Huh?

I am so tempted to let you know what being a retied person in America is like for many,many people, but I will let time teake care of that. You'll get there, girl, and hopefully will be in better shape and not have to ask for six creamers for your coffee and whatever you drink at home. Your employer has made tons of money on regular customers over the years. Now it's payback time. Did you start your 401K yet?

Nah.

We are a youth oriented culture. This regular trip to your store may be the only social life this guy has. He may have had a tidy nest egg that vanished in the recession. He may be a widower whose wife always cooked for him, now he's lost without her.
Or, he may just be an asshole. But treating everyone with compassion, rather than judging, always, always, makes the world a better place.

I know, but he was really rude.

@Sarahroo29 his bones hurt. his doctor didn't fill out his meds or is pulling them with all this opoid stuff

@squiggy_70 Lol.

When I worked in retail the most common shoplifter was seniors.

Wow.

Most of the people we catch are middle age and up

@SherryMartin Damn.

ha, the age of entitlement. Personally I would stop the seniors discounts, they are the generation that made the world I live in so crappy.

Yep.

Wait until you are a senior citizen and see how you feel about discounts and free stuff.

I don't mind giving it to them. Did you read this properly?

I did....I'm just very enthusiastic about getting free stuff. @Sarahroo29

@nicknotes Good, but some seniors ask the wrobf way.

@nicknotes good one nick

Many businesses offer pensioners discounts. If you don't ask you don't get, but to demand is wrong. Wherever I go I ask politely. Sometimes the service staff are unaware of this and get agitated because of the extra work put on them and become rude. It cuts both ways ?

I normally offer seniors free drinks. If they are buying a regular one or of they ask for water.

@Sarahroo29 In Sourh Afrca water is free from the taps and anyone can request that. Bottled water us also sold.

@VAL3941 Oh, okay.

@Sarahroo29 I find that if I am polite when asking for a pensioners discount. , I get far more than those that are rude and demanding.

@VAL3941 Yep.

. prices skyrocketing all the time on fixed income and NO WAY to earn anything. High medical bills. Old friends dying. the list of people you know are higher on the other side. I heard one women said her mom was babysitting her newborn. then I though I would give anything to talk to my mom for just a moment . then a lot of them hurt from some ailment,

@squiggy_70 This we all know too well, anything free helps, even the tiniest offer !

@VAL3941 and if you are alone I have to pay for everything. even to get some one to help move furniture

@squiggy_70
Are there no kind souls arround to help, you need just ask someone to help you !

@VAL3941 not many.

@squiggy_70
If you don't ask you definitly won't get. So keep asking as many as possible !

I guess they figure they put in their time and they are entitled to some slack

Lol. Nah, they think we owe them. Only the rude ones.

Some people are assholes and then some people are old assholes. Sorry for the rough customer. I bet your next old man patron will be nice 🙂

elaw Level 4 Apr 26, 2018

Like me ? ??

Tomorrow I'll see him again. I'm there up front longer.

that is exactly right . assholes who have just gotten old. but then some times after a bunch of stuff something will get them no matter how nice they were they get grumpy

@VAL3941 yep like you

There are 2 types of senior men: Crabby Old Farts and Dirty Old Men. Your customer was the former and all things considered if I need to describe myself I'd rather be the latter.

I am the latter ? ??

The latter?

I am a latter wannabe

@lbusche You'll get there some day, patience

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:67313
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.