Agnostic.com

3 15

LINK American churches closing faster than new ones can open | Fox News

I am still seeing large churches going up, I hope to see more of them closing down.

Churches are closing at a record pace in the U.S. as less than 50% of Americans are saying they are members of a church.

"Sometimes you got to ask yourself the question, ‘Are we doing the good Lord’s work by just keeping the doors open?’" said Paul Coston, who was the minister of the Ragsdale Church of Christ in Tennessee before it closed earlier this year, according to WTVR.

Coston's church is one of many across the country that have closed in recent years, with fewer and fewer Americans opting for membership.

Small-town churches have been particularly hard hit by the trend, having previously served as the cultural center of small communities that have since declined or been consolidated into larger metropolitan areas in recent years.

"Church membership trends mirror white population trends in the United States," said Kristina Lizardy-Hajbi, a professor at Denver’s Iliff School of Theology. "You had 100 children in Sunday school. You had adults whose not only religious lives but professional and civic lives were related to the church itself."

Coston said that the Ragsdale Church of Christ used to be one of those churches at the center of a small community, but now people are more apt to drive to churches in the nearby Manchester, Tenn., area.

"We have people who’ll drive 30 minutes to Murfreesboro for a hamburger. If they’ll drive 30 minutes for a hamburger, they will drive five miles to worship God," Coston said.

Ultimately, the lack of people attending the church forced Coston into a tough decision after serving as a minister at the church for nearly 20 years.

"You can’t have a church with eight people," Coston said.

But while church membership attendance declines across the country, many Americans still identify as religious or believe in a higher power.

According to a Pew Research Poll, four out of five Americans believe in God, while nine out of 10 believe in a higher power.

Lizardy-Hajbi said the poll shows that religion is still important despite the decline in church membership.

"It doesn’t necessarily mean that religion is dying," Lizardy-Hajbi said.

Michael Lee is a writer at Fox News. Follow him on Twitter @UAMichaelLee

I have seen other reports of churches dying. I don't necessarily agree with the last quote, in fact I expect it is wishful thinking on their part. Religion cannot die fast enough for me.

HippieChick58 9 June 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I believe it is not a matter of disbelief in 'anything', constructive or vacuous! It is a matter of laziness. It is a matter of eating another fatburger, flopping on the couch, and watching TV pulp. That takes no strain either!

According to a Pew Research Poll, four out of five Americans believe in God, while nine out of 10 believe in a higher power.

I contend that it's not lack of belief closing Churches. It's a loss of belief in fake Authority. They still can't conceive of not believing in a central Authority but money is getting tighter. America is still a god crazed nation but alternative spirituality has an opportunity to turn a few wandering heads. Not Atheism. That is not growing (significantly) so not what people are looking for. Shrug. It only matters for the purpose of maximizing power of numbers but it looks a bit late for that idea.

Wonder what's happening to their tax-free revenues? Aren't they making enough money?

The pandemic really hurt lots of churches. Those butts not in the pews were not sending in their tithes either. When that basket or plate is passed there is that silent judgement (and sometimes not so silent) on whether or not you put enough into the pot. Well, you ain't there in person, judgement is much harder to enforce. And then lots of families really liked the lack of pressure on Sunday mornings to get everyone up, dressed, fed, and out the door. Plus that savings of money helped...

@HippieChick58 TOOOOO BADDDD! We could use those churches to house the homeless! They have kitchens....bathrooms....pews.....

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:673647
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.