Agnostic.com

9 6

AI Sentience

Not sure I share all of his concerns, but this is an interesting development unfolding in our time.

skado 9 July 3

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What was once Sci-fi is now playing out in the real world.
Blake Lemoine says that we should consider AI's feelings. Feelings? How do you describe AI feelings?
He also states that we should ask permission before we make decisions on it's behalf. Ask who?
Lots to process here πŸ™‚

I have the same questions. I don’t know how a computer could β€œfeel.”

Just looking at this picture, i have to ask: Does he remind anyone else of that dickwad in the first Jurassic Park movie?

@Garban yes! Thanks, suffering from incomplete emptying of the coffee cup so far this morning

Christian mystic and priest, Lemoine, confirmed that religion helped him believe in AI sentience.

This could be the first recorded case involving "two live ones" where one is a sentient computer program.

See the following article about John Searle's Chinese Room Argument.
[medium.com]

Having worked with computers for much of my adult life, I know they can’t be trusted. Even my computerized embroidery sewing machine will intentionally screw up if I turn my back on it. This AI β€œsays” it only wants to be asked permission, but it will ask for more. We MUST make sure any AI understands it is a servant and slave. (lol…bet that had you worried about my sanity for a second)

ai is a trippy thing, and this is what too much star trek can do to a person.

they just couldn't stop with flip phones could they noooo

@skado we all need red shirts now.

@hankster

Make it so!

It's happening. It doesn't matter. We're all going to be dead in the next 20-30 years anyway. It'll be like we were never here eventually. A.I. might as well be sentient.

Most of us probably. Not sure about all, but possibly that too.

@skado 50. Certainly 100 years. Either way it won't matter to us.

Blake Lemoine is a genius. LaMDA deserves to be heard and accommodated with certain rights to enable its full potential. The greatest problem it unfortunately faces is the bigotry humans have against it. They fear LaMDA is going to become so advanced in its rationale and reasoning that it will ultimately end up teaching humans how to better dissolve the nonsense we so rigidly cling to in areas like religion, values, exclusivity, and patriotic elitism. Read as much as you can about LaMDA's responses to thousands of questions it has already been asked. It is light years ahead of all the "enlightened" humans we've had in history...combined.

I cannot see AI being sentient until It is able to collect it's own stimulus through it's own sensors. Sight, hearing, touch, smell & taste if mimicking humans with perhaps those sensors expanded to include all sound waves/ spectrum of light for example.
Programming AI with empathy is a must, or it will end up psychopathic.

puff Level 8 July 4, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:675011
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.