Agnostic.com

1 8

LINK Limited access to abortion is a public health issue: How you can help YLE 7/11/2022

Katelyn Jetelina

Roe vs. Wade was overturned two weeks ago. Access deserts quickly popped up, as shown in red on the Kaiser Family Foundation figure below. This will only grow with time.

Although the Biden administration announced an executive order to protect access to reproductive health care services (including IUDs, interstate travel, data privacy, and legal services), it’s not clear how much rubber will hit the road. For example, it doesn’t fund interstate travel and doesn’t direct the Department of Justice to sue states that ban abortion pills.

Severely restricting access to care will (or already does) have a direct impact on the short- and long-term health of individuals seeking abortions and our broader community. It will be a public health disaster for decades to come.

Last week, I sat down with Robin Marty to discuss access, how it affects individuals and communities, and what we can do to help right now and in the long term. Robin is the Director of Operations at an abortion clinic in Alabama and author of Handbook for a Post-Roe America: The Complete Guide to Abortion Legality, Access, and Practical Support.

(Click link to access discussion.)

During our chat, multiple organizations were mentioned. Here are their direct links:

AidAccess.org (a group based in Austria that can mail the same abortion-inducing medication)

If/When/How: Lawyering for Reproductive Justice (provides a confidential legal help line and defense fund)

Donate to clinics (if possible, make recurring donation rather than one-time)

Practical support assistance: Midwest Access Coalition (getting people to care) and Elevated Access (group of pilots flying people)

Brigid Alliance (volunteers in NY who provide homes for late-term abortions)

Here’s how to locate your closest local abortion clinic for support (email and be patient)

Love, YLE

In case you missed it:

Banning abortions will not stop abortions

Epidemiology of abortions

“Your Local Epidemiologist (YLE)” is written by Dr. Katelyn Jetelina, MPH PhD—an epidemiologist, biostatistician, wife, and mom of two little girls. During the day she works at a nonpartisan health policy think tank, and at night she writes this newsletter. Her main goal is to “translate” the ever-evolving public health science so that people will be well equipped to make evidence-based decisions. This newsletter is free thanks to the generous support of fellow YLE community members.

HippieChick58 9 July 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I know we bring this up all the time - laws on the books against women concerning reproduction and not ONE damn law against men and reproduction.
The fact the medical profession, to a very large degree ignores the dangers of pregnancy is criminal - imho. I realize many sail through their pregnancies with no complications, my mom and my younger sister had "easy" pregnancies. They ate well and received excellent care. That is not the norm for many women in America. Like everything else it all begins with education and there is a huge correlation with this map and education. Planned or by accident?

Most all of those Red states allow first cousins to marry. Maybe all the inbreeding is paying off by maintaining a high level of brain mutation? 😂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676217
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.