Agnostic.com

7 22

LINK BA.5 is here. Time to ride the wave. YLE 07/13/2022

Katelyn Jetelina MPH PhD

BA.5 has arrived. An estimated 10-15% of Americans will be infected. Unfortunately, hospitalizations and death will follow, albeit at lower rates than we’ve seen before.

There are many reasons to avoid an infection (can’t miss work; don’t want to feel crappy for a week or two; risks of long COVID; high risk for severe disease; live with vulnerable people). But even if you do get infected, you can still help by stopping onward transmission.

Here are five ways we can safely ride this wave.

If you’re over 50 years old, get your booster.
If you don’t have your first booster, it’s beyond time. If you don’t have your second booster, get one now. Seriously. Schedule your appointment here. Do not delay. You will be able to get an Omicron booster this fall even if you get boosted now.

Another booster now will not only prevent infection but will prevent severe disease. In the U.S., adults aged 50 and older with two booster doses had 4 times lower risk of dying from COVID-19, compared to people who received one booster dose.

Those younger than 50 years will also soon be eligible for a second booster. If you have multiple comorbidities or work at a high exposure occupation, I think it makes sense to get a second booster now. If you’re young, healthy, and/or had a previous infection (hybrid immunity), it makes sense to wait for an Omicron booster in the fall. I, personally, will wait for my second booster. Keep in mind, protection against infection can be nil if it’s been a while since infection and/or last vaccination. You will especially need to have other layers of protection while waiting for that Omicron booster.

Take Paxlovid.
The next best tool for high risk people is Paxlovid. This is an oral anti-viral that is safe and incredibly effective against severe disease. (See more in previous post here.) You need to start the course within 5 days of symptom onset or it won’t work well. You can get a prescription from your clinician. The FDA also recently authorized getting a prescription directly from a pharmacist. Here are some test to treat location options.

Do not use the CDC community levels for masking.
To know when to wear a mask, don’t rely on the CDC Community Levels map. This tells us when to take collective action so the hospitals don’t surge. According to this map (first figure below), 21% of people should mask. This does not tell us when to wear a mask for individual protection. The old CDC transmission map is painted red (which doesn’t even take into account under-reporting) and shows 98% of Americans should wear a mask in crowded, indoor spaces if they don’t want to get sick. Transmission is high across the states and will get higher.

Ventilation and filtration really matter and are powerful tools. This is especially important in the middle of a heat wave while people head indoors. The short video below gives a very clear depiction of how COVID19 spreads through the air. Think of SARS-CoV-2 as being like smoke. It can spread even if you’re just whispering and can linger for hours, even once someone has left the room. Get that air moving. You can use a CO2 monitor to know your ventilation, if that’s helpful.

Use antigen tests to break transmission chains.
At home antigen testing is one of the best tools we have right now to stop transmission. Antigen tests are free and can be ordered through the USPS site here.

If you have symptoms, there are a few things to keep in mind:

Antigen tests are great at detecting highly infectious people. You can expect the average antigen test to catch 78% to 97% of cases in the first week of symptoms.

False negatives are more common at the beginning of infection, especially with Omicron. If you have any symptoms, do not trust a negative test. Assume you have COVID19 and re-test in 24-48 hours. It will likely turn positive given the high transmission rates right now.

Antigen tests are very good at telling you when you’re not infectious anymore (very few false positives). If at all possible, leave isolation only once your antigen test is negative. We see strong evidence (here, here) that an Omicron infection lasts, on average, 8-10 days. Some people will be infectious for less, and some will be infectious for more. You won’t know unless you test. Some people can’t stay in isolation that long (need to work and/or employers won’t allow longer isolation, given the CDC guidance saying you can leave isolation after 5 days). If this is the case, wear a good mask once you leave isolation.

If you take Paxlovid, an estimated 5-10% people rebound. (Read more about rebounding here.) If you test negative after Paxlovid, continue to test for another couple of days. If you turn positive again, assume you’re infectious again until you turn negative.

If you use antigen tests before seeing someone vulnerable, keep the following in mind:

If you have the virus and are asymptomatic, you can expect the average antigen test to catch 44% to 70% of cases. This is good but not perfect.

Be sure to conduct cadence testing: test 48 hours before the event and again the morning of. If they are both negative, I would feel comfortable proceeding.

Bottom line
There are many things we can do to protect ourselves and those around us while we ride the BA.5 wave out. Please leverage these tools. They will, no doubt, help.

Love, YLE

“Your Local Epidemiologist (YLE)” is written by Dr. Katelyn Jetelina, MPH PhD—an epidemiologist, biostatistician, wife, and mom of two little girls. During the day she works at a nonpartisan health policy think tank, and at night she writes this newsletter. Her main goal is to “translate” the ever-evolving public health science so that people will be well equipped to make evidence-based decisions. This newsletter is free thanks to the generous support of fellow YLE community members.

HippieChick58 9 July 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My best friend who like me is in the over 50 group (we are 60 actually), just tested positive yesterday. She has been ill for a few days, but got a couple of false negatives so she did not start the paxlovid until today. Also like me, she never took off her mask when the mandates lifted and she also had all four of the shots. But she did go to a concert at a large stadium. The concert had been postpone for two years because of covid. Everyone is acting like it is over. No one is wearing masks.

My sister got Covid just a little over 2 months ago. It took her two weeks to get over the initial infection, then she was dealing with long covid. She has only just started back to work part time this week.

I got Covid last week and am just getting over it.

My sister's two sons are now coming down with it. One had had Covid before.

I think almost everyone will be getting Covid before the within the next year. The new variants are just too contagious. Infection rates are increasing in the U.S. as we are heading into summer. Yet, winter is the prime time of year for Covid to spread.

I posted this comment on another post but applies here too. I'm 69, fully vaxed and double boosted, Pfizer, drive for Uber, in late May Uber relaxed the mask requirent to optional and allowed riders to sit in front, got COVID 19 for the first time in early June, symptoms were very mild, quarantined, prescribed Paxlovid and tested negative after 10 days. Went back to work and got it again last Sunday, my doc says it's most likely the new variant which is extremely contagious, symptoms were even milder, also quarantined and waiting, just 4 days now but symptoms are gone, will test again on day 6, my wife had the Moderna fully vaxed and boosted, she has remained negative throughout. I believe the vax has kept my symptoms mild and will continue to boost any time that is recommended, I am high risk so had I not been vaxed, I don't think I would have stayed out of the hospital or even worse. My personal experience says get the vax and boosters.

Glad you recovered relatively quickly. All four of my shots were Pfizer. I wonder if Moderna is more effective. I teach and I am keeping safe over the summer, but I am dreading the return because I'm the only one who wears a mask consistently. Toward the end of the school year the only other people who wore masks were the people who we coming back after quarantine.

@MyTVC15 yes, day 6 negative, I feel fine, no fever, no aches of any kind, just raspy throat for a couple of days and runny nose for about 5 days, got by with Nyquil and Dayquil for severe cold and flu.

Thank You for posting!

Thanks for the info.

As soon as I'm able to get a third booster, I'm there.
Still masking around people when in public.

Flu shots will be coming out soon, and I need to get the shingles shot.
Fixin' to be a pincushion.
It's worth it to me though.

ME TOO!!!

Shingles vaccine kicked my hiney. I thought I got hit by a damn truck. But I remember my grandmother suffering with shingles, and I am glad not to go there. One bad day is better than many bad days that she had.

@HippieChick58 I've had shingles, too. I never want it ever again.

@Gwendolyn2018 Please do it!
The temporary reaction from the vaccine is far less to deal with than actually having shingles. That bullshit can last for weeks.

@Gwendolyn2018 l have had shingles, get the vaccine.

@Gwendolyn2018 Please do. Shingles can be really nasty, so please do get protected. I figure a day of misery is better than weeks of misery and those associated bills. My grandmother ended up in the hospital. Of course this was 45 years ago, it might be different now.

I know it is common for people to have had chickenpox as a kid but not all of have. I was advised by my PA that I shouldn't get the shingles vaccine if I didn't have chicken pox in fact it can be harmful to get the vaccine if like me you never got chicken pox as a kid.

@KKGator The nerve damage caused by shingles can last years. The older you are when you get it the more likely you are to have everlasting effects.

Covid is here to stay for the time being.

My boss and I are the only ones consistently wearing a mask at work. The others do only sometimes, but not most of the time. There have been many cases of COVID in the workplace. I do not want this disease. It is a danger, especially since I have coronary artery disease. My 32-year-old son does too, and I can't convince him to wear a mask. SMH.

@Gwendolyn2018 Oh goody (not) back to more Zoom meetings!

@Gwendolyn2018 A local friend was a teacher at the local school. She got tired of the politics and retired. When the pandemic hit she found out how to do personal tutoring online. In one year they made so much money they were able to buy a condo on the big island, Hawaii.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676592
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.