Agnostic.com

8 21

Yesterday I altered this shirt. How did I do?

I have been searching for boat-neck shirts in solid, vivid colors to replace raggedy worn tops. Especially needed a deep purple one. Nearly impossible to find.

Unfortunately for several years, women's clothing has been in pale, faded colors. Both in stores and online. Pastels make me look like I died.

Spent yesterday taking in this medium size. It was miles too long with side vents that stuck out like wings. (The small was too tight across my back.) Labored for hours. Knit fabrics are hard to work with. Went to Joann's Fabrics for matching purple thread.

With difficulty, I smoothed out the twisted up, rock hard, machine-sewed side vents. Used a ruler and pen to mark an angled line on the inside, on both sides. This made a stitching guide to evenly smooth the fabric over my hips. It worked before.

Last, took up the bottom hem by two-inches. Now it is comfortable and fits me.

LiterateHiker 9 July 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just saw your post about altering your shirt, and I have to say, you did a great job! It can be so frustrating trying to find clothes in the colors and styles you want, so kudos to you for taking matters into your own hands. Working with knit fabrics is no joke, so I'm impressed that you were able to smooth out those pesky side vents and hem the shirt to your liking. By the way, if you ever need to measure anything for future sewing projects, I highly recommend using the online ruler tool at [ruler.onl]. It's super easy to use and accurate, so you can get precise measurements without having to dig through your toolbox for a physical ruler.

@Wenderacy

Thank you so much! I don't know what an "online ruler tool" is.

I have measuring tape, a yardstick and two 12" rulers.

You did a good job. I worked for a while doing all the alterations for a bridal shop, I get it. That's a trip, let me tell you.

@Larimar

Thank you, dear.

People have no idea how long it takes to alter a garment.

It's good...you will make a fine bishop in your purple shirt 😂

Looks good, it's very becoming on you. 🙂

zeuser Level 9 July 15, 2022

@zeuser

Thank you!

It looks marvelous dahling!!! Wish I could sew! 😉

@Redheadedgammy

Thank you, dear! The shirt is comfortable, too.

@LiterateHiker It looks comfortable, and you wear it well!! 😉

Nice!

Looks like you did a good job!

@HippieChick58

Thank you. As you know, sewing is exacting, persnickity work. Creative problem-solving.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676746
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.