Agnostic.com

5 3

LINK These 4 Factors Can Explain Why So Many People Are Rejecting Science

I find myself in agreement with these points. The exploitation of, as it says, 'sciency' sounding stuff to make profits by capitalism and the scepticism people have of anything power, in any of its forms, says is particularly relevant. It's also understandable. I feel it myself. It's a sad reflection of the times we live in, and yet true science has given us so much and is the solution to so many problems.

David1955 8 July 16

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Point #3 is notable ( Information goes against personal beliefs) but is it really personal beliefs that powers the anti-science campaign of Creationism? Intentionally misinforming, misleading, deceiving, and preaching hatred of science has been the Christian stock-in-trade for a hundred years and more. Religion poisons everything because it is itself poisonous.

Listening to a podcast with Lex Fridman and Richard Haier, talking about intelligence. Quite interesting. Also though just the math, he mentioned, shows us that there are about 50,000,000 with IQ's below 85. There can be many reasons for this, but that means they do not have the ability to think rationally. Could this be a problem in the Republican Party?

That might be part of it. IQ distribution is not meant to include behavioral disabilities, however. Another problem with the GQP is that, including Evangelicals, Catholics and other Christian true believers means that a big share have suffered damage from the brainwashing. This causes a variety of maladies: sexual disfunction, prone to addiction, prone to violence, emotionally disordered, malignant narcissism, sociopathy, and so much more.

But to your point, GQP relies so much more on leveraging the initial brainwashing with propaganda of their own. With such low capacity for reasoning, critical thinking is impossible. In a proper democracy, only the mentally fit should be allowed to vote. But, who's definition of fitness and how to enact it...?

The link is to Sciencealert dot com, which has published a lot of non-science.
NOTE: I wrote “non-science” not “nonsense”.

I too found the article easy to read, and I appreciate its brevity.

I found that article easy to read. That it cites its sources and each source is well respected within its own discipline adds to its credibility.

People who are highly allergic to all four factors may find science in general much easier to understand than anybody who is subject to one or more of those factors. I find the tribal loyalty factor to be really weird when it comes to the matter of one's own health, life and death.

At the bottom is an even more fundamental problem. That the tellers of truth, have to tell it like it is, or they are not telling the truth any longer, and sometimes it is beautiful, but equally often, it is plain or even just ugly. While liars can use any arts they which to dress their falsehoods and make them pretty, there are no restrictions.

The peacock uses his tail to make the females think that he is a strong fit male, he does not use a grand and fine display to warn them that he has an STD. Yet the peacock has only a single tail, while human cultural technology gives the human creature ten thousand or more far greater gifts, to make a splendid fake display, than any animal ever had before.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:676969
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.