Agnostic.com

18 17

How I nearly drowned in a kayaking accident.

Have been thinking about the people who drown in local rivers and rapids each summer. Last year 36 people drowned. None of them had a life jacket. So far in 2022, nine people died without a life jacket. Mostly kayakers in rapids.

Ten years ago, I dated a medical doctor from Little Rock, Arkansas. Charlie flew me back-and-forth. In April, we drove three hours north to kayak a river in Tennessee.

It was a hillbilly kayak rental outfit. I pointed out that they broke four safety rules:

1. No life jackets.
  2. No helmets.
  3. No guide to show us where to go.
  4. No "sweep" to bring up the rear and help people in trouble.

"This is unsafe," I insisted. The doctor argued. "Let's try it," he insisted. You can’t try rapids, I replied. Launch your boat and you’re committed. "Are there any other kayak rentals in this area?" I asked. No. Charlie badgered me into relenting. I didn't want to spoil the trip. My good manners nearly killed me.

Kayaking a series of rapids, my kayak suddenly flipped and I was swept under a "strainer," pinned underwater beneath a big tree that had fallen into the river with the roots attached to the bank. Strainers are deadly. I took a big breath just before going underwater.

"I'm not going to drown on my watch," I thought.

Trapped Underwater

The powerful river pushed me under the tree from two directions. Trapped underwater and holding my breath, I tried different things in quick succession. Couldn’t pull my body through the tree with my arms. The water force was tremendous: 7,000 pounds of pressure. Tried climbing the riverbank. It was a vertical high wall of mud. Then I got an idea. It was counter-intuitive because I was trying to get to the surface.

Pushed myself down to the river bottom. Scrabbled around the bottom with my feet, desperately searching for a big rock. Found one. Bent my knees and kicked as hard as I could off the rock. Blasted sideways through the tree. Grabbed the kayak as I shot by and held it over my face to protect my eyes from branches. Need to keep the kayak with me.

Momentum from my hard kick carried me and the kayak to the surface in the middle of the river. Away from the tree. That's where I was aiming.

Sweet air! Immediately lunged to grab the kayak that was being swept away by the rapids. Must stay with your craft. It took three tries to get into the kayak. Was trembling and shaken.

Bent down to fix the foot rest that was knocked sideways. It felt calming to sit in the kayak breathing air. Then I sat up and looked around as I shot downriver.

A dozen people were madly paddling upriver to help me. How nice! But they couldn’t reach me because of the rapids. Waved to show them I was okay.

"Has anyone seen my paddle?" I hollered. "I've got it!" a man yelled. "I'll come to you.” He handed me the paddle as I shot by. “Thank you!”

Still had to concentrate, paddle and steer. Nearly cried with relief when I finally spotted the landing. Was too exhausted to lift my kayak onto the truck. Two men kindly did it for me.

"You were underwater a long time," Charlie said when I arrived. "You messed up your hair." I showed him my cuts and abrasions. "I've seen worse," he dismissed me.

Asshole. I dumped him shortly thereafter.

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

You were fortunate. I was only kayaking once but we had life jackets. No rapids involved and we were in the Meramec river.

Where was Charlie when you went under?

Unity Level 7 Aug 11, 2022

Unity

He went ahead of me in his kayak. He didn't stay with me.

Scary stuff. I can relate to that.

I did loads of surfing and windsurfing when I was younger. You’ve got to treat open stretches of water with so much respect.

Me and my mate knew our limits and wouldn’t go out if we knew that the conditions were too risky. We’d check it out, look at each other…..nah.

Asshole is right! Good thing you had your wits about you and obviously had done kyaking before. 😘

@Redheadedgammy

Grew up on a lake in Michigan with three sailboats, a rowboat and canoe. Have years of experience with boating and handling emergencies on the water.

Haven't done much kayaking. Although I took a YMCA class on kayaking in my 20s. Learned roll into a kayak from the water.

@LiterateHiker I’ve always been afraid, or Leary of boats and being on the water in them. Had a bad scare on one as a child and have never forgotten it. I’m glad you had all the experience you did, it saved your life. 😉

@Redheadedgammy

I made up the idea to find a rock and kick off the bottom. It was logical.

In outdoor emergencies, you problem-solve. See what works.

I would've dumped him too!

I lived on the Mississippi river for about ten years. When it would flood, we'd have to park at the levee and boat in and out along with trundling the dogs to the levee to do their business. The dogs always minded and knew what to do.

But one time his dog rushed for the stairs up to the house. Out I went in a flip, landed on my butt, and the boat went over my legs holding me there. It felt like it took forever to get it off me and get up for air, all the while the other dog was looking over the rail of the boat at me under water. I seriously was next to not making it. I got over to the stairs and his dog knew he was in trouble. He jumped back in the boat and hid his face in the stern while I had to swim after it down the river. I managed to get it, get it back to the stairs and never had a problem with either of them ever again

I told him when he got home....he had a similar response to your doctor. Between a lot of things, I didn't remain much longer myself.

@Larimar

I don't understand. The dog rushed up the outside stairs and you tripped over it? How did you get pinned underwater?

@LiterateHiker The dog rushed out of the boat and onto the stairs knocking me over the rail in the process when he knew he was supposed to wait in the stern until given the command that told him it was ok to go to the stairs. They knew the drill. It was the one and only time he didn't do as he was supposed to do. I was in the front of the boat as it coasted to the stairs where I would catch them so the boat didn't slam into them, tie it to the rail, drop the anchor and then give them the command to "get on up."

Sorry that I wasn't clear in explaining!

I think, I rather stay on land, maybe running, no, no, strolling is the word, just strolling.

What a dick...smfh

Good experience for yourself and that relationship. Glad you made it.

Sometimes I forget; you've dated some losers.

I'm glad you were able to save yourself. Happy to hear you dumped his sorry ass. 🤗

Betty Level 8 Aug 10, 2022

A harrowing near death tale. Yes, you were lucky to survive. I bet next time you stick to your guns. Glad you made it through. Wow.

You did really good! Outsmarted danger !

I barely made it out of Lake Michigan last Labor Day. Just swimming, no boats. Took my last bit of energy, I gave it all I had , swam straight to shore.... sure woke me up to the "simple" dangers !

twill Level 7 Aug 10, 2022

@twill

Thank you. I feel proud that I had the prescence of mind to think clearly and effectively.

No sense in panicking.

@LiterateHiker You're Welcome Kathleen. Your description showed what a dramatic and dangerous situation you were in !

I have done white water rafting many times in New Mexico and calm water canoing all with life jackets. I have avoided kayaking just out of being nervous. Maybe unnecessarily so, but still nervous.

I might do rapids in a raft, with an experienced and bonded company. Other than that I'd just rake picture hiking next to the river.

I have done cameoing, on the cnoother part of the Columbia or Colorado rivers, but I just never trusted kayaks, as they flip to easily.

An added factor to drowning in rivers, is that even when the surface appears smooth you can still be in danger. For instance the main channel of the Columbia can be more than 50 feet deep, and the water under the surface can and often does flow faster than the water on near the surface, creating an undertow than can pull people under. Even the best of swimmers who are unaware of the phenomena may panic if they encounter and undertow in a river, which can happen in many, usually larger, rivers.

Boaters, who think it is safe to dive in due to the depth indicators, often get surprised and swept down river faster than their boats will drift on the surface currents. Boating on rivers is very different form boating on lakes.

@snytiger6

Excellent points. Thank you. In Wenatchee, people drown in the Columbia River every year: 100% without a life jacket.

@LiterateHiker I live around "The Gorge" area of the Columbia, and we get lat least 3 drownings every year.

Personally, I don't swim anywhere near the main channel, but usually on the south side of Sand Island at Rooster Rock State Park.

I have noticed the kite surfers wear some kind of life jackets. They are about a quarter mile West of Sand Island, but are fun to watch. Every once in a great while one may get blown toards the main channel, so wearing life vests is a good idea.

Been there, sorta done that, except my head wasn't underwater when I got pinned. It was a lotta fun. But I don't have any desired to do that any more.

I have limited experience mountain hiking and no experience kayaking rapids. I know one thing from hiking and that is don't do it with someone who is likely to take unnecessary risks (like leaving the trail, etc.) I think the whole scenario you described was an unnecessary risk and the doctor sounds like a total jerk. After 30 plus years of marriage, I have learned not to pressure my partner into doing something he does not want to do. That was the doc's first mistake. Good on you for having the strength and resilience to get yourself out of that whole situation.

WOW! What an ass. I've had 2 episodes of getting into trouble on the water - both involved drinking I was not paying attention to. A leisurely canoe trip on the Puyallup and then a lovely restored wooden 16 footer with an outboard motor and lower cabin for sleeping, we put in at the Vantage ramp on the Columbia.
I'm done with water craft.

Yikes...glad you made it

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:680781
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.