Agnostic.com

9 16

LINK We Have No Garbage Day in Amsterdam! - YouTube

My adult child is moving to Amsterdam. Yes, my heart is breaking, and yes, I am planning to visit and learning Dutch. She has shared with me one of the perks of living in Amsterdam. They have no "garbage day." No set day for trash pick up. How civilized!

HippieChick58 9 Aug 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We also don't have 'garbage' day. This island doesn't need big trash trucks and there is no landfill in which to send the garbage. We separate our trash, recyclable and trash and when the can is full we take them to the transfer station. Some of the recyclable are actually usable and go to our take it or leave it site. [lopezsolidwaste.org]

That is neat. I also like all of the cycling that is done there. I have watched some videos on the cycling and also read two books by a person from that on cycling.

My daughter is looking forward to NOT having a car, in fact I bought her car. They are expecting to get bicycles or walk everywhere. It is going to be a big change for them.

Very interesting.

WOW! this is fucking awesome!

I have visited my sister in Nijmegen, Holland. Garbage day consists of a trip to the center, where there are receptacles for every kind of refuse, recyclable and not, including building materials.

Het is zeker; dat is mooi!

The city of Lorca, in Spain, goes one better. The underground bins are automatically emptied by travelling Lamson pods.

I love that!

That's pretty cool. So they don't pay for garbage removal? That may not promote trash production there, but it seems like it would for Americans.

They do pay for these public services - through taxes. Their taxes are considerably higher than what we pay for in the U.S. but the public services are free. The thing is they also get way more for their buck than we do for the amount of tax we do or don't pay.

You forgot to mention Canadians too. For example, there is a decent flower bed just outside the pub. Even though there is an ashtray about two steps away, the sloths have to muck the ground!

Could watch trash pandas all day though.

Now I have to clean my yard. Ya, forgot to spray animal retardant on the can.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:683920
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.