Agnostic.com

12 3

Is this true that you, Americans, don't spread butter/margarine on bread when you make sandwiches? Never knew that. šŸ˜…

I'm American. I often notice on British cooking shows that they often spread butter on the inside of sandwiches. You never see this in America. Is that realistic? Will the average Briton put butter in the inside of say, a ham sandwich?

[quora.com]

Ryo1 8 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First off I found I have a subtle reaction to ALL dairy and only use plant based 'dairy' based products (which includes mayo). I never use any butter or margarine spread on the inside of a sandwich but I do use a mixture I make (1 part Earth Balance, 1 part coconut oil and 4 parts EV Olive Oil) on the outside when making a melted cheese (again dairy based). On the inside is the 'cheese' some mustard and some slices of pickle.

My dad used to instruct my mom to butter the insides of sandwich bread, in the mornings when she packed his lunch, as a moisture barrier, if the filling might make the bread soggy before lunch time. He may have learned this in the Navy.

I had a boyfriend who instructed me to toast his sandwich bread, when packing his lunch, to keep it from getting soggy before his lunch time at work.

I guess it's all just preference.

Not if they are a Moslem.

It varies these days depending on how I feel.
However there is one exception were the recipe has to be adhered to exactly
The perfect corned beef sandwich

Two thick home cut slices of bloomer bread (door steps as we call them) (never pre sliced bread)
Real slightly salted butter (Never margarine) spread thickly on bother inside faces (ideally this could be home made too).
Sliced red salad onions
Two thick slices of corned beef
Tomato sauce or ketchup, on the upper slice at least two tea spoons, or alternately serve the sandwich with a mug of Heinz Tomato soup for dunking
Build the sandwich, compress slightly and cut in to quarters
Enjoy.

Add salad to taste, and toast the outside of the bread if you like a crunch.

The King's Breakfast by A. A. Milne

The King's Breakfast
The King asked
The Queen, and
The Queen asked
The Dairymaid:
"Could we have some butter for
The Royal slice of bread?"
The Queen asked the Dairymaid,
The Dairymaid
Said, "Certainly,
I'll go and tell the cow
Now
Before she goes to bed."

The Dairymaid
She curtsied,
And went and told
The Alderney:
"Don't forget the butter for
The Royal slice of bread."
The Alderney
Said sleepily:
"You'd better tell
His Majesty
That many people nowadays
Like marmalade
Instead."

The Dairymaid
Said, "Fancy!"
And went to
Her Majesty.
She curtsied to the Queen, and
She turned a little red:
"Excuse me,
Your Majesty,
For taking of
The liberty,
But marmalade is tasty, if
It's very
Thickly
Spread."

The Queen said
"Oh!:
And went to
His Majesty:
"Talking of the butter for
The royal slice of bread,
Many people
Think that
Marmalade
Is nicer.
Would you like to try a little
Marmalade
Instead?"

The King said,
"Bother!"
And then he said,
"Oh, deary me!"
The King sobbed, "Oh, deary me!"
And went back to bed.
"Nobody,"
He whimpered,
"Could call me
A fussy man;
I only want
A little bit
Of butter for
My bread!"

The Queen said,
"There, there!"
And went to
The Dairymaid.
The Dairymaid
Said, "There, there!"
And went to the shed.
The cow said,
"There, there!
I didn't really
Mean it;
Here's milk for his porringer,
And butter for his bread."

The Queen took
The butter
And brought it to
His Majesty;
The King said,
"Butter, eh?"
And bounced out of bed.
"Nobody," he said,
As he kissed her
Tenderly,
"Nobody," he said,
As he slid down the banisters,
"Nobody,
My darling,
Could call me
A fussy man -
BUT
I do like a little bit of butter to my bread!"

Plain bread buttered, yes, butter in sandwiches, no, either mayo or mustard or etc.

I always put butter, mayo and mustard all in my sandwiches regardless of the fillings. Lol

@Ryo1 Mayo is almost as essential as butterā€¦they are both ubiquitous in all my sarniesā€¦as you say regardless of the fillings!

I don't put butter on every sandwich. Not ham, not tuna salad, not beef, actually I don't think I put butter on any sandwich unless it's on the outside for grilled sandwiches.

And would you say that's an American thing (cultural) or it's just you?

@Ryo1 Well, I've been all around the country and I've never seen it. So I would say it's an American thing.

My "uncle" who used to be a "chef" "invented" what he dubbed "The Cholesterol Sandwich". Two pieces of bread buttered on both sides turned into a PB&J, then dipped in batter and deep fried.
He was wanted for questioning in relation to dismembered body parts that were found. When the SWAT came to his house to collect him, he committed suicide by cop by running out of his house at them shooting a gun. I'm surprised my aunt and their kids didn't get hit when they blew his ass away.
That's a really weird 'buttered bread for sandwiches' story...

Iā€™m a Britā€¦.itā€™s not a proper sarnie without butter/marge!

Sanga šŸ˜‰ I'm starting to wonder what Yanks use butter for. Nothing like fresh crusty bread with lashings of butter and vegemite

@puff Vegamite is one food I don't know how a human being can eat. It's like salty grass clippings.

@barjoe What about Marmite?

@barjoe I honestly think you have to be teethed on it to like as you are not alone in your taste.
PS How do you know what salty grass clippings taste like?

@Marionville What is that? Whatever it is I've gone 64 years without eating it, I don't need to put it on my bucket list.

@barjoe itā€™s a savoury food spread made from yeast extractā€¦.which divides people into those who either love itā€¦or hate it. As an expression ā€œMarmiteā€ is used here in the U.K. to describe anything that divides public opinion pretty much 50/50 between absolutely loving or hating something.
[en.wikipedia.org]

@Marionville If it taste anything like Vegamite I wouldn't go near it. Count me as the 50% who won't eat that. I haven't even tried it and I hate it.

@barjoe Iā€™m not a lover either!

@Marionville I looked at your link, it might be good to use maybe a teaspoon in stew, gravy or chili. To eat straight? No.

@barjoe Itā€™s an old productā€¦my father liked it spread on buttered breadā€¦he was the only one in the family who did. Yes you can use it in stews and casseroles for extra favour, although I have never actually ever done.

@Marionville Kind of like anchovy paste or Thai fish sauce. They make food taste good but you wouldn't want to eat a spoonful..

Of course. Butter is an essential component of sliced bread.

I usually use low fat mayo., unfortunately. My butter day are over, because of cardiovascular disease. However, I used to with some sandwiches.

The bread is actually worse for you than the butter.

@barjoe Hmmmm...my cardiologist told me to eat whole grain bread. The stuff I get has no saturated fat in it, and lots of seeds. It's the saturated fat that I'm concerned with. Ideally, for me a lower carb diet is better though.

@Organist1 What does your cardiologist know? I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once.

@barjoe Huh? What in whole grain bread is worse for arteries than saturated fat, and what does that have to do with Holiday Inn Express? Please support with evidence.

@Organist1 I was joking.

@barjoe hope so, because whole grain bread is about as innocuous as air. Of course, the brand I buy is Dave's Killer bread, made by real live ex-cons.

I'm american and my mother always buttered the bread.

Ditto, and at 91 Iā€™m still buttering or margerining sandwiches.

@yvilletom Enjoy!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:685298
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.