Agnostic.com

22 0

Has anyone ever belonged...

Has anyone ever belonged to an anti-religion organization, and if you have which ones? (American Atheist, Richard Dawkins, so on...)

michaelcancook 5 Apr 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

22 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

No, I just want to live without it in my life as much as possible.

I belong to (donate $ to) FFRF, American Humanist Assoc., Americans United for Separation of Church and State, Atheist Community of San Jose, Council for Secular Humanism, ACLU, Humanist Community of Silicon Valley, Military Religious Freedom Foundation, Non-Belief Relief, Reason Alliance, Secular Student Alliance. They say, "Money talks. The rest just squawks". I want to make a difference

I follow the articles and postings of a lot of these you have listed but I have no money to give to any of them. I'm on limited money.

That's great..... spectacular!!!!!? I wish I could do all that, believe me...... You are making a difference.

II was familiar with FFRF, and I even donated money to them. Thnks for listing the others, I'm going to check them out. Thank you.

I belong to me.

I'm in a local athiest group that helps the homeless in the area.

That's great news!! I have worked in the kitchen at the Salvation Army cooking many many times.......and my grown son is gay.... Oh well, I don't support their agenda I am only interested in helping the needful.

humanists

I belong to my Grand Traverse Humanist Group, they are wonderful folks, I have enjoyed visiting with them, talking to them, and donating my time with them.

Does The Hemlock Society or ACLU count?

Yes, these two groups/organizations are good examples of fighting the good fight against Christianity and it's status quo and it's oppression. We, you and I, are figuritivly rocking their boat. Letting Christian's go on believing in a god... The Spaghetti Monster.... The Invisible Dragon In A Garage.... the invisible dude with the long beard who lives in the sky..... Is one thing that should be acceptable to us all..... However!!!!!............ when these Christian's ask us all, everyone of us,..... to live by their rules and beliefs........ I take a dramatic exception to this....... Then these same Christian's elect other Christian's to political and other official offices where they make legally binding laws sooooooooo....... EVERYONE, (That includes both you and me!)....... To have to live by their beliefs, their Christian agendas...... Which as you and I know is based on a 2,000 year old book that is full of mostly "bullshit"..... that's where and when it gets bad for you and I..... errrrr, even " frustrating/infuriating/ minimalizing/unfair to humanity in general.

I belong to the American Humanist Organization, FFRF, and American Atheists. They are fantastic. I take the Free Thought magazine, Humanist Mag, FFR newpaper and go to many conventions. Stimulating!

PEGUS Level 5 Apr 29, 2018

Very nice! Maybe it's time for me to rejoin the American Atheist Organization.

Nope and not likely too. If religion. Inspires someone it is a free country. I think we can all believe different things and be ok with it

You should read what I wrote to Annewhimsey down below these following several pages, ....... Christian's have been pushing their own screwball beliefs on us, you and me, since before the Inquisition. It used to be that if you didn't agree to live by the Christian-status-quo your Christian neighbors would torture you, drown you, and burn you alive! Today, in these contemporary modern times, today is the years, 2000ad.... different Christian's but still part of your neighborhood legally mandate how you are going to live your life by enacting laws based upon an old, old, old, a 2000 year old book which is FULL of just plain bullshit!! I and you should find this an unfair practice and we should figuritivly sit on the bus seats anywhere we want to sit!!! (Thank you Rosa Parks!)

@michaelcancook geez...if you have been around for all that I can understand your disdain. My experience is some think I need to be saved and some just like Saturday Bingo. I just don't find value myself for Anti anything
I hate rye bread but don't think it should be banned. Hate and judgement creates wars.. acceptance stops it

@gigihein My thoughts exactly. I simply do not have time, energy or desire to oppose (anti) anything anymore. It has such negative energy and creates further divisions among people. In some ways I think it keeps us prisoners like getting a divorce but continuing the fight. I understand why people are drawn to it, I was raised in a very strict Mormon home and would love to spare future generations the grief I went through but opposition has never been effective, it just makes people feel persecuted and defensive so what is accomplished? I support the things I want to see more of like organic food and individual empowerment, gratitude...Replace the negative, fear based images with positive and empowering ones and the rest will change itself.
Why would anyone in their right mind switch sides if the other side hates them and what they believe in? It just does not end up having positive results for anyone to take an opposing stand! I don't know if you are familiar with the Standing Rock Sioux and their opposition to the pipelines but it began in prayer, drumming, dancing and non-violence. They simply stood their ground and lived their lives as the police surrounded them. It was the most powerful thing I ever witnessed. They did not fight back because they knew it was hopeless but they did not surrender and walk away either. They simply lived their truth as evidence of their beliefs and it was impacting the entire world. The Freedom Riders, MLK...the evidence is there. Peaceful existence is the most powerful message of them all. Live and let live. Drawing the line at behaviors instead of beliefs, gender, race is the best way for us to all co-exist!

@CreativelyMe yeah. I equate it to. I don't like chocolate chip cookies so get them out of the bakefies

@gigihein lol I like that. Nice and simple.

Freedom From Religion Foundation. Contributing member for a couple of years now.

@kozmic which is why I support them. I don’t care what legend people care to bow to, what I do care is when they feel the need to push their beliefs on every one else. With thousands, if not millions of church properties throughout the country (all tax free!), why do you have to put your 10 commandment monuments, crosses, and nativity scenes on the public property and thoroughfares that my tax dollars have to support? You can pray all day and all night at home, in your car, in your church and anywhere else you want, but why do you need to take up time and make a spectacle of it at every non religious meeting, government function or social gathering where people who don’t give a shit have to listen to it! So, I donate enough to maintain a membership to FFRF every year. They publish hate mail they get monthly on their FB page, and obviously the “Righteous” consider them an anti-Christian group.

Nope..... Never thought about it and now that I have, I just don't feel the need to do that

No

Okay

That is one of the things I miss about religion, having a sense of community. I know it is only in some churches that you get an actual feeling of belonging. I have been playing with the ideal of going to a unitarian service to see what that is about. I hear they are pretty neat. The closest thing to belonging I have ever felt was in the military especially during training or deployments.

This is a nice website that we are privileged to belong to for free. No it doesn't replace actually meeting with good folks that you can identify with and share empathy/spotinaity full of genuine hugs and handshakes; however this great website is still a remote community with members far apart from one another, we together share our beliefs and our intellect, and our need for humanism/fairness/and gossip too.

You just explained why I joined this site. Social isolation. Where is a person supposed to socialize outside of a church? I am going to open a meeting center in my home for people like us and I live on 240 acres so I am going to have camp fests too. Stay tuned!

@ki-bee I need friends that can have discussions outside of their social constraints. Being restricted by a teaching passed down to us is utter nonsense to me. I can have friendly discussions with religious people but friendship? Socialize? Ugg no. My brain hurts just thinking about it lol

If you mean in real life, I've entertained the notion of joining an organization that is quite active in my state. We all have a pet peeve and mine is BY FAR the separation of church and state. This group does stuff around not just that issue, but others. I have pretty serious social anxiety. That's really the only thing stopping me. I think.

The American Atheist Organization does just that, it's a watch dog and does battle legally against Christianity like separation of the church and state in all 50 states. Sorry about your anxiety, I have a general anxiety disorder myself and I take medication for it.

@michaelcancook I take meds too, which do work with me not freaking out in the general public. But anyway, there is a regional organization called PA non-believers and they have events, meetings, cofffee stuff that would be condusive to friend making as well as participating in something I feel so strongly about.

I think that would be a great place to donate to and volunteer your time to.

@michaelcancook i get their newsletter.

I have belonged to American Atheist Organization for a year a couple of years ago and couldn't make it to any of it's functions.

Oh, and sitting around and being passay about how the religious conduct themselves while pushing their own agenda on everyone "Is NOT The Answer!!". Currently, right now, they choose to believe that people are not doomed to life on Earth with a super heated atmosphere, because God would not do that to humanity!!!!! Meanwhile, over 96 percent of our world's scientist agree with each other that our Earth's atmosphere is slowly being super heated up by air pollution in general. What kind of a world, OUR Earth, do you want to leave to your child, your grandchild, and so on and so on!!! And what about the other 4 percent of our world's scientist: that other 4 percent also correlates with the nutty number of religious scientist that happen to believe that God "zapped" and "poof!" We humans appeared on Earth which according to them happens to be currently only about 6,000 years old! We need to fight back, or at least push them back!!!

Oh, and sitting around and being passay about how the religious conduct themselves while pushing their own agenda on everyone "Is NOT The Answer!!". Currently, right now, they choose to believe that people are not doomed to life on Earth with a super heated atmosphere, because God would not do that to humanity!!!!! Meanwhile, over 96 percent of our world's scientist agree with each other that our Earth's atmosphere is slowly being super heated up by air pollution in general. What kind of a world, OUR Earth, do you want to leave to your child, your grandchild, and so on and so on!!! And what about the other 4 percent of our world's scientist: that other 4 percent also correlates with the nutty number of religious scientist that happen to believe that God "zapped" and "poof!" We humans appeared on Earth which according to them happens to be currently only about 6,000 years old! We need to fight back, or at least push them back!!!

No. I personally believe life is too short to spend my time opposing anything. I join groups that support personal empowerment such as the Ultimate Success Masterclass and Roots and Shoots programs. I also try to post things that unite us instead of causing further divisions which I think a lot of organizations end up doing.

Freedom From Religion Foundation and Satanic Temple

Why would I invest my time or money in an anti-club?

Well you of course don't have to but they are investing in us, we who are agnostic and atheist, non-believers, and skeptics. They organize, and routinely battle injustices on behalf of us, you and me...... They fight for humanity, humanism, the separation of church and state, gay rights. Just to name a few.

I am a solo flier with no need of support in what I don't believe.

No. Never had enough boxtops.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68614
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.