Agnostic.com

5 1

From Churched To Unchurched... what was your journey?

Here's my journey:

I had been raised in the church from infancy with strict attendance every Sunday morning, Sunday evening, and Wednesday evening. Those who ever missed were talked to and normally would "go forward" during "the invitation" to ask god and congregation for forgiveness for "forsaking the assembly". Nearly all of our social activities were exclusively with other members of our congregation.

I remember feeling peer pressure to "go forward" to "confess my faith" and get baptized from about age 9 to 10. I did it when I was 10, shaking like a leaf.

After baptism, I was regularly asked to help serve "the lords supper", lead singing, offer the closing prayer. Later on to teach the Jr High age bible class. After that, to preach on Sunday evenings. I did it all.

After services, people would stand around various locations and talk for up to an hour about whatever was in their minds. I still remember from one of those sessions, someone stating that gods law was always the highest... no matter what the government ever said, we must always please god.

Toward the end of my church involvement, my familys behavior and talk during the decline and death of my grandfather following quintuple bypass surgery, shook my faith. Their loud mourning and wailing right there in ICU disrupted the entire ICU. Through the all glass walls I saw all eyes on us as their cry rose up for several minutes. The lack of faith. The disrespect for all the other patients and families. I was shocked by it all.

For my next sermon, I prepared the most complete lesson on faith that I could piece together from the bible. But as I began writing an illustration on the chalk board from Hebrews 11:1, a strange thing happened in my brain. Beside the thought I was writing, another thought formed silently, and lingered there...

"So, if I don't believe any of this, none of it really exists."

I struggled for the next week and a half with that perspective. But by the time that second Sunday arrived, I had left the church. At age 27, I was done. But that was the easy part.

All of my life focus, self image, self purpose, basic values, life priorities, world view, and my scale of worthwhile target areas for achievement had all been shaped by the church for my entire existance. I was programmed to deny my self to live for god and the church. I had no real idea who or what I really was. And, my mind was closed in many ways, to block out certain "dangerous" or "worldly" perspectives. I had to learn how to think.

I know these things now. I live for myself now. But it took me 35 years, after leaving the church, to do it.

I am an atheist. But more strongly, I am an anti-theist.

Like so many others, I was raised quite religious, to live what became to me a false, distracted life.

SeeksGenuineLTR 3 Sep 18

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I stopped just believing and started thinking critically about what I'd been taught since childhood. a few years later, I was atheist. That's all it took -- thought. It explains why the church is so against people thinking for themselves.

In what church/denomination were you reared? For me, it was Catholicism. My family was strict and strictly Catholic, and we had lots of iconography strewn about the house, attended weekly services, etc., and I was sent to Sunday school for a time before being sent to parochial elementary school. I was an altar server from age 7 till age 18, then went off to college — a very devout, structured Catholic college.

It was actually an excellent school, and it was there that I learned that I didn't agree, on a fundamental level, with some of the teachings of the Catholic Church. In particular, the idea that it is morally justified to let a woman and her unborn child die during an aortic rupture rather than take action to terminate the pregnancy to save the mother's life was/is abhorrent to me, and I began to realize that the theology and morality of Catholic doctrine is heavily based in rigid deontology — and that I didn't agree with that way of thinking at all.

For a time, I held to the Christian metaphysics, but once I'd started pulling threads on what I believed, the entire tapestry eventually unraveled. As you noted, it was difficult because it was so integral to who I was as a person that I felt empty. Over time, and with plenty of effort, I filled the void with substance of my own design — philosophy that made sense to me, rather than being spoonfed to me in childhood, and ethics that were based on doing good (and less harm) instead of authoritarian rules.

It didn't happen overnight, and I spent too many years trying to convince others that they had dedicated their lives to a lie, but eventually I reached equilibrium. Now, I've settled into a comfortable, but not complacent space of realizing that the complexity of the universe and existence will always be outside my grasp, yet there are claims people make that lack support and are unworthy, no matter how tenaciously held and pontificated, of serious consideration. And I have a much more laissez-faire approach to life, and don't waste my energy on what other people are doing (insofar as it doesn't encroach upon others' rights and liberties), and don't worry myself with things outside my control.

There's a lot I left out of my experience, but in short I'm more relaxed, I'm kinder, and I'm more accepting than I was when I was religious.

Paragraphs...

@SeeksGenuineLTR I'll need to look up the specifics of the Church of Christ. I don't recall much of the theology unique to that church.

@SeeksGenuineLTR I agree, the smartest scientists understand just how much, and how little, we understand, and that we will never have all of the big mysteries solved. The Christian argument is "God did it" and science is derided for not having all of the answers, but "God" is just a placeholder for mystery and explains nothing; they might as well say, "it's magic." It's an answer that doesn't actually answer anything, and it often shuts down any motivation to investigate further.

@SeeksGenuineLTR I was insufferable when I was devout, and I thought I was so much better than everyone else. I was a judgemental prick. I'd like to think I'm less judgemental now, if not less of a prick. Basically, I just realize now that everyone has their own lives and struggles and internal turmoil, and it's not my place to judge and castigate anyone. I have plenty on my own plate to deal with without worrying about how others choose to live.

@SeeksGenuineLTR I think @TomMcGiverin was replying on my comment because I hadn't added any line breaks. It was a wall of text, but I went back and edited it so there are paragraphs and it's not quite so daunting.

@resserts Correct..

I was brought into an Evangelical church as a teen and ended up studying to be a minister. Along my journey I slipped away and fun and drink came into my life. For years i would get drunk and lament the big mistake I had made. God and religion was true and I was a terrible man. Beat myself up for years. Then along about 2010 I came to believe it was all imaginary. How and when we got the books of our current bible backed up what I was seeing. Like Paul, the scales fell off my eyes and I could see again. The insanity of religion had blinded me. It is OK to admit there are many things we do not know without making up stories to cover all the bases.

Good luck, you're going to need it. Career peaking at 63? Retiring at 71? Working every night until 830pm? Did you know that the average life expectancy for a US male is 78? Again, good luck.

@SeeksGenuineLTR In my opinion, luck plays a vital part in everyone's journey and experiences.

@SeeksGenuineLTR google it, don't be lazy.

@SeeksGenuineLTR from your own words: "I'm working a lot of nights and weekends till at least 2030." You write way too much and that's probably why you forget all the things you wrote. As the saying goes, nothing is more potent in words than brevity and simplicity, if you can't explain yourself in few words, try fewer.

@SeeksGenuineLTR so with that attitude of yours, I would kiss a "genuine LTR" goodbye, again, try brevity and simplicity.

@SeeksGenuineLTR finally a short reply, incoherent, but short.

I was never churched therefore no journey. I had the regular life journey, but religion was never considered.

How wonderful! That was my experience as well. I’m grateful for my non religious upbringing!! 😉

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687230
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.